You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

New Web Server coming

Author (Read 8993 times)

Re: New Web Server coming
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 10:42:00 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
O.K... Noted

I guess that what happens when you are away for a while...

Dave
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 10:35:00 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Jerry, I too see the misaligned icons..
Occurs on:
- Chrome on a Windows 10 box
- Chrome on Android Phone (Viewing as desktop)

Does not occur on:
- MS Edge on same Win 10 box
- Firefox on LL box (mini)
- Chromium on same LL (mini)

**Although now refreshing Win10 Chrome appears to be working?
YUP I see you fixed it :)

** Working fine on main page - threads have a generic green icon with a slash
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:39:28 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 10:33:33 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Thanks again for all your work on it Jerry, for pushing through on our behalf!

This is a seemingly minor thing I've noticed, I think just since the server change. But the social badges at the top of each page look funny.

Fixed! Just going to show them on the main page.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 10:32:48 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

See 2nd post here. I'd like to keep all bug reports in one thread - https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/on-topic/new-web-server-coming Cheers.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 10:29:14 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)

Hi Jerry,

Not been around much, family matters, but do pop in now and then to see how things are going.
I get the following when click on the "show new replies to your posts"

Keep up the great work...

Dave
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 12:13:52 PM »

whateverthing

• Occasional Poster
  • design enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr: KarHutWhat

• CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GMA X4500

• Kernel: 4.x
Thanks again for all your work on it Jerry, for pushing through on our behalf!

This is a seemingly minor thing I've noticed, I think just since the server change. But the social badges at the top of each page look funny.

=Karl=

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 09:31:36 PM »

ralphy

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Developer
    • View Profile
Glad to hear everything got worked out. These moved are not really that easy. It takes time to initially setup and somewhat secure the server (things will certainly be polished as times goes) and finally move things over.

Cheers!
https://unlockforus.com

Sorry for seeming stupid and preferring Linux - I just don't know any better.

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 08:52:42 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

First of all, thank you all for your patience during this big move to a dedicated server. We've kept everyone up to date via Social Media, so I hope you've been following our progress there.

The main website itself was ready the next day. So were the Forums.

The Forums - because we have a new DNS, you have to wait until all Countries pick up the new server. This process is known as DNS Propagation. Here's a pretty good article on it for those that want to understand why the Forums weren't reopened the next day despite the fact they were ready - https://www.square2marketing.com/blog/what-is-dns-propagation-and-how-does-it-work

Today, there are still areas of the World that haven't got the new DNS, but they will soon. Today, I made the decision that despite not 100% everywhere can access us, 80% is good enough. We have people that have waited nearly a week for Support.

I've eliminated a number of bugs in the Forums on the new server, hopefully, that is all. The Edit Reason mod caused some headaches and is no longer available. If you edit a post and see the word 'Array' beside your edit comment, just ignore it. It's cosmetic and can be cleaned up later. Please report any bugs or quirks in this thread directly with a clear explanation of the process. The more information you can give me, the quicker I can pinpoint and resolve the issue. Like the last website move (this is our 2nd), unfortunately people who used custom avatars on their profile, lost them. This is an SMF thing, no way to fix that I can see. Just re-add your avatar again under your Profile settings.

Install Updates - slight bump in the road here, just had to add a new A record and all was well. May have caused issues for some, for no more than 7 hours.

Hardware Database - this was a tricky one. 2 days in the fixing. Mostly PHP code adjustments, but we got there. Special shoutout to the 2 devs I worked with, they were amazing, professional and always at hand.

Summary - It's been a costly move, both in finances and in time. But we needed it. This will future-proof us for years to come. We now have a server that I have full control over, and most importantly, this kind of message should be a thing of the past during our most busy periods.

Cheers :)

Jerry

New Web Server coming
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 06:21:45 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Hi folks,

We are finally moving off a shared web server to a dedicated web server. The main difference is that we won't have to share hardware resources with dozens of other sites anymore. We will have our own web server, just for us.

One of the main reasons we're going to need this is that at the release of 4.x, we're expecting a surge in uptake of our search engine. This will require us to have a server that won't bug out if too many people are on it. The Forums are getting busier every month too. Dedicated servers are not cheap. I've shopped around, and the best value one that I can find that will meet our needs for years to come is 12 times per month in costs to run, than our current one. Hopefully our search revenue by mid year and beyond is enough to fund this. Either way, we need it.

So over the next few days, the new server will be installed and set up. Naturally, there may be some downtime across our web services. Our repo is on a separate dedicated server so updates should not be affected, this is the reason I created it separately. But there may be interruptions and downtime in the Forums and on the main site. Just giving you all a heads up.

If you'd like to throw a small contribution towards the first years costs, I'd really appreciate it - https://www.linuxliteos.com/donate.html
Choose an option there that you're comfortable with. Thank you.

Here's to growing up :)

And now here's a couple of appropriate memes...may the force be with us.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section