You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

New here from FL with a few questions

Author (Read 11124 times)

Re: New here from FL with a few questions
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 10:53:04 AM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)

1. What are the differences between Linux Lite, Peppermint 7 and MX-16?

Here are "unbiased" summaries from http://distrowatch.com/

Linux Lite is a beginner-friendly Linux distribution based on Ubuntu's long-term support (LTS) release and featuring the Xfce desktop. Linux Lite primarily targets Windows users. It aims to provide a complete set of applications to assist users with their everyday computing needs, including a full office suite, media players and other essential daily software.

• OS Type: Linux
  • Based on: Debian, Ubuntu (LTS)
  • Origin: New Zealand
  • Architecture: i386, x86_64
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • Category: Beginners, Desktop, Live Medium
  • Release Model: Fixed

Peppermint OS is a Lubuntu-based Linux distribution that aims to be lightning fast and easy on system resources. By employing Ice, Peppermint integrates seamlessly with Cloud and web-based applications. The distribution's other features include automatic updates, easy step-by-step installation, sleek and user-friendly interface, and increased mobility by integrating directly with Cloud-based applications.

• Based on: Debian, Lubuntu
  • Origin: United Kingdom
  • Desktop: LXDE
  • Category: Desktop, Live Medium, Netbooks

MX Linux, a desktop-oriented Linux distribution based on Debian's "stable" branch, is a cooperative venture between the antiX and former MEPIS Linux communities. Using Xfce as the default desktop, it is a mid-weight operating system designed to combine an elegant and efficient desktop with simple configuration, high stability, solid performance and medium-sized footprint.

• Based on: Debian (Stable), antiX
  • Origin: Greece
  • Desktop: Xfce
  • Category: Live Medium, Desktop

For my biased two cents, I have used Linux Lite for years and there are multiple reasons posted on this forum by me and others; MX Linux is a great distro is you prefer one based on Debian instead of Ubuntu; but I do not like Peppermint,  Lubuntu, or LXDE.

2. ... I'd have to disable UEFI on the computer for Linux lite to work correct?

That is what I did when I installed Linux Lite on my new computer and wiped out Windows.

3. Would I be able to print from a Canon MG 7720 printer or not since the computer is old?

Give Linux Lite a test drive on a live DVD or USB stick and see it you can print.

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

New here from FL with a few questions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 11:26:30 PM »

Nickman

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello everyone, my name's Nickman and I've seen a few reviews of Linux Lite and I found it very nice, what Jerry and the team are doing is great.

I'm planning to do a little project with my HP Mini 110-1100 and install a Linux distro on it as opposed to having Windows 7 Starter on it, I plan to use it for college, writing essays and taking notes on it, things like that, nothing too extensive since it's around 8 years old and only has a 32 bit processor, it's a Intel Atom and has 2.70 Ghz, it has 1.00 GB of installed ram, though it may have more and I might not realize it.

I have a few questions

1. What are the differences between Linux Lite, Peppermint 7 and MX-16?
2. I understand that UEFI is not supported as of yet, or at least won't be until it is tested and confirmed to work sometime after the Diamond 4.0 release in June 2018, I'd have to disable UEFI on the computer for Linux lite to work correct?
3. Would I be able to print from a Canon MG 7720 printer or not since the computer is old?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section