You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Fileshare Applet Won't Run

Author (Read 2599 times)

Fileshare Applet Won't Run
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:52:36 AM »

Kirkx

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 8500 GT / Nvidia 340.76
Fileshare Applet is a small screenshot program. You can highlight any section of the screen with the mouse, upload the image to Imgur hosting service, and then paste the URL link from the clipboard to your forum post, etc. Unlike with most other similar apps, you are not restricted to making a screenshot of either active window or the whole desktop. Here is an example (it's the corner of the Panel + a bit of the desktop background):

Fileshare Applet is not available in any repositories, only as a deb package that must be installed manually.

I had no problems installing and running the applet in Xubuntu v14.04, but in LL v2.0 when I try to start it from the App Menu it just won't run:

(click anywhere on the page to zoom it to 100%)

and is nowhere to be seen in Task Manager either (it is installed as "indicator-fileshare"):

----------------------------------
Here are installation instructions.

1) Download the zip file and extract it to any temporary directory:

http://aikikode.github.io/fileshare/

2) In LL install "build-essential " from Synaptic or:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install build-essential
At least I had to install this in Xubuntu v14.04, I'm not sure if it's really needed in LL.

3) Build the installation package. In terminal "cd" to the directory that contains file "build_deb.sh" and run the following command:

./build_deb.sh
4) Check if the following deb file has been created:

indicator-fileshare-0.5.2.deb

5) Install Fileshare Applet

sudo dpkg -i indicator-fileshare-0.5.2.deb
6) Check where it was installed

dpkg -L indicator-fileshare

7) Edit Applications Menu and <Settings - Session and Startup> (to enable/disable Fileshare loading at LL startup).

(LL default name: Main Menu)

8) Start Fileshare Applet and sync it with Imgur.com (follow on-screen instruction to enter your account info).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:56:16 AM by Valtam »
LL 2.4, Xubuntu 14.04.2, Debian 8, Manjaro

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section