You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installing on a Mac - PowerBook Pro (bare Metal)

Author (Read 2468 times)

Re: Installing on a Mac - PowerBook Pro (bare Metal)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 08:42:06 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Please list the exact model from here - https://everymac.com/

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 10:17:55 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Not a MAC guy myself but Your OS is 64bit on a core2 duo. The EFI partition is 32bit which is normal. Someone here may have the proper way to do this on a MAC, or google around on using MBR partitions on a MAC.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 10:16:30 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello krisomilo,

Jerry has experience of installing LL on Apple -

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/on-topic/oh-no-you-di'int!/

Installing on a Mac - PowerBook Pro (bare Metal)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 10:05:47 AM »

krisomilo

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA
Hi  I've used Linux Lite on a PC before and like it but now want to revive a perfectly good Mac Book Pro which is way past its "sell by date" - ie I've reached the maximum version of the O/S 10.6.8 and of course nothing works.  Because it is a sound machine and I don't want to throw it away. I would like both as a fun exercise and if successful as a working machine to install and run Linux.  One way (obviously) is to do a fresh OSX install and then run Parallels or Virtual Box but my preferred option is try to install Linux as the sole O/S on the machine.  I cannot find - but maybe haven't looked hard enough - any guidance.  So my question is does anyone have the experience? Be really glad to have any guidance that anyone can offer.  The PB is a 17" running an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.33Ghz - I think the processor is a 64-bit but that Apple have restricted it (EFI / Boot) to 32-bit.  What I want to try to achieve is to download and burn a bootable Linux Installer to use on the PB.  Thanks Kris.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section