You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

LL 2.0 install on AMD A6/A88 machine W/RAID 1 - LL Installer Crashes

Author (Read 8555 times)

Re: LL 2.0 install on AMD A6/A88 machine W/RAID 1 - LL Installer Crashes
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 12:58:30 PM »

rentwist

So surely some people are running RAID on their LL systems?  How does one get that setup?  Why does both LL and Ubuntu installation "break" the RAID 1 array I setup using AMD RAID BIOS function of my motherboard?

Is RAID on these OS's done exclusively after the installation using RAIDXpert or something?  I think Windoz would respect the array setup and not break it as part of the install process.

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »

rentwist

Thanks Scott,

Sounds like a good backup plan.

Sorry for the newbie question but how does one create the live CD usb installation?  I assume you do something with the ISO image but not sure exactly what.  Thinking it is more complicated than putting the ISO on the stick.  Put the files created like when you burn the ISO to a CD on the USB perhaps?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:38:23 PM by rentwist »

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 10:56:49 AM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Hi Rentwist,

While the install media shouldn't make that much difference if your system supports booting to USB I give that a go over a live CD.

~Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 08:50:35 AM »

rentwist

Update.

- Got RAID 1 setup properly using AMD RAID BIOS utility.

- Installed LL 2.0 again, installer crashes with same Error 5, I/O subsystem.  Going to try making another LL ISO disk mastered at a lower speed, hard disks are new and working properly so it is not that.  If that doesn't work, I am stuck.

Any ideas?

- When error 5 occurs and a window telling of it is acknowledged (or was it the same window?), a window says it will generate a report to send to LL staff, this window is frozen and one cannot proceed beyond it (and so no report is generated or sent I assume).  Only a system reset breaks out of this and the system will not boot (but the LL boot screen and gas gauge work, but nothing happens after that).  While in the LL desktop before rebooting, can do system updates (which are quite extensive) but it does not help the situation.  Also, it does not seem to matter or affect the problem if the radio buttons are clicked for updates during install and/or third party SW are checked.

- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS installed perfectly (but hate the GUI!).  It recognizes my Rosewill PCIE WiFi card (has Qualcomm Atheros chip) unlike LL 2.0 which I had to resort to using a Wifi dongle (has Realtek chip) in order to get an internet connection during install.

- Both LL 2.0 and Ubuntu blow away the RAID 1 array I created using the AMD RAID BIOS utility (and the second disk is not seen by the OS as I recall).  Nothing in the disk selection window (including "something else") appears to allow for a RAID disk arrangement.  Have AMD RAIDXpert for Linux to install if I can get LL 2.0 to install properly although I am unsure if it will run/work properly without RAID setup in Bios using the AMD utility.

Really want to use LL on this new HTPC machine but unless I can find a way forward, Ubuntu (or perhaps - got forbid - Windows) appear to be my only options.

Would appreciate any help, ideas or direction/suggestions (and will report back about new LL 2.0 ISO disk mastered at slower write speed).

Regards,

Robert

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:56:51 PM »

rentwist

Found the manual so never mind on what to post/how to post it.  Will run a system report from however far I can get in the install, may be at pre-installation.

LL 2.0 install on AMD A6/A88 machine W/RAID 1 - LL Installer Crashes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »

rentwist

Began trying to install LL last night after enabling AMD RAID (1) in BIOS for 2) 2 TB disks.  Left to install and went to bed.  This morning when I went to check on the install, there was a window on top of another saying that the installer had crashed.  Both windows were unresponsive and I had to reset.  Nothing was installed on the disk(s).  Will be working on it again tonight but wondering if anyone has done RAID on AMD HW and gotten LL installed successfully (do not know if the problem with installer crash is related to my attempt to enable RAID or not (and RAID may not in fact be enabled, only see one disk when the install begins and the AMD RAID BIOS screen does not look right)).

On a related note, I thought I came across a tutorial on the forum regarding how to properly provide pertinent info in a posting to get help when reporting on a problem.  Can someone put me onto that (or am I remembering incorrectly?)  Like for instance how to get the command line stuff behind the GUI if I continue to experience installer crashes?

Thanks,

Robert
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:53:33 AM by rentwist »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section