You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

64-bit processor and 32-bit EFI

Author (Read 9855 times)

Re: 64-bit processor and 32-bit EFI
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 12:33:16 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
This (EFI) is not new technology except where MS is concerned. 64 bit systems generally have a 32bit EFI partition (though it can be 16bit), 32bit generally a 16 bit EFI partition (though it can be 8bit). Depending on the age of the machine BIOS can be 8bit, 16bit, or 32bit. The compatibility issue is the CPU/MOBO combination. It was common on low-end early HP/Compaq/DELL/ etc. OEM MS systems: that a native Windows system was 32bit with 2gig RAM and even though the CPU/MOBO combination could be 64bit capable (and the EFI partition was 32bit & BIOS 16bit) it would not memory address 64bit without adding at least 1gig of RAM to the latent board memory channel. Most early 64bit MS systems were OEM 3gig of RAM. In this users case it may well be that though the MOBO/CPU are 64bit capable that capablility cannot be accessed wihtout filling the latent RAM channel.

Finally: There is no harm in trying to install LL64bit.
And again: If 32bit LL is already running I would run the dmidecode routines for info.

TC 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:42:03 PM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 06:41:29 AM »

WytWun

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Atom z8300

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel integrated

My computer runs on a 64-bit processor (Intel Core 2Duo) but it boots via 32-bit EFi.

Is it possible to install Linux Lite OS 64-bit on this computer? Will it boot on the 32-bit EFI via Refind? If so, will it run fine on 2GB RAM only?
Yes it should be possible, but you will have to work at it because Linux Lite currently has no support for UEFI booting in the standard distribution.

I was able to install LL 3.4 64bit to a 64bit UEFI machine based on the information in m654321's tutorial; apart from the specifics of 32bit vs 64bit UEFI bootings the process should be very similar.  A 32bit UEFI can boot a 64bit Linux kernel - I have an Atom based netbook running Xubuntu 16.04 64bit this way (Grub not Refind though).  As noted above, 64bit desktop distros can usually run in 2GB quite well - most of the lighter weight 64bit distros (including LL 3.x) shouldn't have any difficulty getting to a bare desktop with only 350-500MB of RAM used.

That said, if you have the 32bit version already in and running I wouldn't look at changing unless there's some specific application you need or a future release (4.x depending on upstream Ubuntu) drops 32bit support - memory consumption of a 32bit desktop environment is typically 10-15% less than the same desktop environment as 64bit, although 64bit application performance can be better by about the same margin (in the absence of swapping anyway).

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 08:17:54 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

If your 32bit LL system is already running, to get hardware info from your current system try dmidecode. You don't need root just substitute as follows: sudo dmidecode -t keyword or number.

https://www.tecmint.com/how-to-get-hardware-information-with-dmidecode-command-on-linux/

Chances are your system is meant to be 64bit and there are a few older rare exceptions, none that I know of that use a 32bit efi partition usually 16bit. If your efi partition is 32bit your cpu/mobo is highly likely to be 64bit capable. It's safe to try installing 64bit because the machine won't accept the installer if the cpu/mobo can't handle 64bit. Indeed the cpu may be 64bit capable but with empty address sockets rendering it only 32bit capable on some old boards, but in your case that is unlikely given the 32bit efi partition that is already there. The issue is the 2gig of ram. Early 64bit mobos were usually 3gig. I expect the OEM may have been Windows 32bit and to run 64bit you would expect to have to add ram to the board but its safe to try installing 64bit anyway. Chances are if it's running PAE kernel now it will run 64bit. Run the memory section of the dmidecode to see what's actually there.

TC
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:28:11 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 06:11:14 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
I don't have any experience with 32-bit EFI machines, but if machine you're describing is same one as in your signature where it looks like you've got 32-bit LL installed to it, then yes you should be able to install 64-bit LL to it in the same way.  64-bit LL will be perfectly fine with 2GB of RAM.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 10:16:53 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

Maybe.  Give it a try.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

64-bit processor and 32-bit EFI
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »

Igor Manson

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core 2Duo

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon
Hi folks. I have a question. My computer runs on a 64-bit processor (Intel Core 2Duo) but it boots via 32-bit EFi.

Is it possible to install Linux Lite OS 64-bit on this computer? Will it boot on the 32-bit EFI via Refind? If so, will it run fine on 2GB RAM only?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 02:40:57 AM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section