You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exit

Author (Read 20230 times)

Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exit
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 02:15:57 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Bad usb port on the one that don't boot then. Wouldn't you think? Like a hardware problem with the port. I am just throwing out ideas.

You say boots fine on the laptop? Right?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 02:17:45 PM by rokytnji »
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »

farjia

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Dual Core 1.6 GHz

• MEMORY: 2Gb
Followed your suggestion and unmounted the usb by right clicking inside gparted and checked it and then rebooted but nothing changed.  :-\

I have also tried another usb but nothing seems to be working. Both of them boot fine on the laptop btw.

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
If not already mentioned. You have a corrupt file system on your usb drive from improper unmounting.  If you have linux-lite installed. Plug in your usb drive. Open Gparted. Unmount it using right mouse click. Then use Check using right mouse click. Let it finish. Then shut down after closing Gparted. Error will go away.

If linux lite is not installed. Any live iso on cd, dvd,usb with gparted and using my above steps will accomplish the same result.

I fixed many a sd card puppy install like this.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 12:10:46 PM »

farjia

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I do have a laptop with windows 8 on it and I tested it and it boots fine there and I can go ahead and delete puppy if you're sure that will solve the problem or is there anything I can try before I wipe out the partition 1 with gparted using puppy live usb.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 11:16:14 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
The Puppy bootloader is a problem. You should have used frugal install and grub2, not grub4dos. GRML won't work corectly for you with grub4dos. We have no simple way of verifying that the LL ISO is correctly burned to a bootable USB, unless you have another machine to test it on. If the LL ISO will boot on the USB on another machine I would say that it's safe to delete Puppy. If you intend  to keep Puppy I have to find the grub edit entries involving SELinux, or you could reinstall Puppy with frugal and grub2.

TC
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:24:50 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 10:50:36 AM »

farjia

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Yes, I have puppy linux on internal drive installed full, I was only mentioning that it boots up and runs fine from usb as well, only to clear up that my system can boot from usb.

I am trying to replace it with linux lite now , if only it boots up, so that I can install it on partition 1 of the internal hdd, sorry for the confusion.

Kindly, tell me what should I do now? I have puppy linux on partition 1 and on usb, both boots up fine, the one on the internal hdd uses grub4dos as the boot up menu, I found the advanced menu there but couldn't find where to add the line you mentioned to add.

I don't understand the grml rescueboot part at all, can you elaborate on what should I do step by step to boot up linux lite from usb so I can install it.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

I'm a little confused now. You indicated you were running Puppy on a USB. Is this an external HDD or a memory stick? If it's not an HDD I doubt the LL installer will use the correct UID for the drive across multiple media channels. That will cause the init kernel panic.

You could try intstalling grml rescueboot to Puppy first (if you are using grub to boot Puppy) then donwload the LL ISO to Puppy and move it to the grml boot sector file. Then restart and boot into the live LL system and then run the LL installer and select a new USB drive partition to install to.

TC
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:51:08 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 10:09:55 AM »

farjia

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

No windows, only puppy linux on partition 1 / and partition 2 is /home, also 3rd partition is swap.

I'll try the 2nd step and see how it goes, if I am not mistaken, I am to go to the advanced menu when linux lite boot options show up, right? ..and follow the next steps.

Update: Found no advanced menu while booting linux lite, it only shows press tab to edit boot parameters, I disabled quick boot in the bios but nothing changed.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:20:44 AM by farjia »

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Is this machine currently running Windows?

solution 1) If so when shutting down Windows hold down the shift key and press shutdown and keep holding down the shift key until the system shuts completely down.

solution 2) Geekier
  • Restart
  • Go to advanced menu and then click on 'e'(edit the boot parameters)
  • Go down to the line which starts with linux and press End
  • Press space
  • Add the following at the end ->  kernel.panic=1
  • Press F10 to restart
This basically forces your PC to restart which will clear Windows hiberbation mode.

Also secure boot and fast boot should be disabled in the BIOS if possible. A few years ago this used to be a regular issue with Kali live disks on Windows 8 machines that used the media channel for the OS.

TC
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:54:59 AM by trinidad »

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exit
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 04:23:39 AM »

farjia

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Downloaded Linux Lite 3.6 32 bit, put it on usb, when I try to boot it I get this message (Image attached below), tried the safe mode also but nothing works. I am using Puppy linux currently and it loads and runs fine from usb.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section