You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Need help - Dell Inspiron 14 - SDD HDD won't boot

Author (Read 3941 times)

Re: Need help - Dell Inspiron 14 - SDD HDD won't boot
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 11:54:05 AM »

mjones32

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel 1.6 Ghz

• MEMORY: 2Gb
Someone on the Linux questions forum says they solved this on the same exact model of Dell laptop with the procedure below.  Before I try this I would be interested in any comments from this forum whether plausible/likely to work.  Is there an upgrade path then from LL 3.2 to 5.2 ?

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-laptop-and-netbook-25/linux-install-on-dell-inspiron-14-3452-having-emmc-in-lieu-of-hard-drive-failed-4175626482/

PROBLEM SOLVED - As I understand it, the nut of the problem is that the EFI code has to be the same (32bit / 64 bit) as the BIOS and boot code. This was accomplished by following the links & directions in the paper at:
https://medium.com/@realzedgoat/a-so...s-d39b1d1961ec and using LinuxLite 3.2efi build, adding bootia32.efi to the boot folder after burning the iso to USB drive using 'Rufus.exe" . Then booted this USB drive on the Dell laptop using the following procedure: 1) power on & F2 to get to setup; ensure UEFI and Not Secure boot, save settings. F12 at Dell logo to get to boot menu (the USB drive was listed as one option.) 2) boot into linux lite and at the main window, click Install Linux Lite. 3) When install finishes, remove USB drive and restart: Voila!! Now get and apply updates.

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 11:43:42 AM »

mjones32

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

When I tried with 5.0 & 5.2 I had an entry for the SDD HDD #1 and I tried either having the USB drive as #2 or deleted altogether.   The machine completely ignores the SDD in all cases.

I know the SDD is populated with the installed LL software.  Isn't there some tool I can run to verify the UEFI entries on the SDD HDD ?

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 09:03:36 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
What's the UEFI boot order in the BIOS?

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 08:01:20 AM »

mjones32

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Unfortunately no better result.  I built 4.8 USB Drive, booted fine, completed 4.8 install fine but when I tried to boot from SDD I get 'no bootable device found'.   

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 07:39:56 PM »

mjones32

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I will, thanks for the suggestion.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 07:06:47 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Sorry guys, I'm giving up on this.  I rebuilt a bootable USB drive with 5.2 and I can load that system with 'Legacy' Boot Option. I run Install and it appears to complete an installation to the SSD, everything visible in File Manager.

I can also access the USB in UEFI mode and get to the Grub menu, but the Install options just seem to flicker the USB LED for a second and then nothing.

The SSD HDD system created with Legacy booted USB simply will not boot either in UEFI or Legacy Mode.   The Help manual doesn't really offer any useful suggestions and other forums Ubuntu, Xubuntu have posts from other folks struggling with these Dell SSDs.

It appears you just can't get there from here. :(

@mjones32
It may be the Dell - if you can try installing LL4.8 and see how that goes - I have a feeling it will work better. If so I have a feeling its the UEFI/BIOS of the Dell...????...
Might be worth a shot, install LL is a quick process...

Let us know how it fairs...
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 04:07:20 PM »

mjones32

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Sorry guys, I'm giving up on this.  I rebuilt a bootable USB drive with 5.2 and I can load that system with 'Legacy' Boot Option. I run Install and it appears to complete an installation to the SSD, everything visible in File Manager.

I can also access the USB in UEFI mode and get to the Grub menu, but the Install options just seem to flicker the USB LED for a second and then nothing.

The SSD HDD system created with Legacy booted USB simply will not boot either in UEFI or Legacy Mode.   The Help manual doesn't really offer any useful suggestions and other forums Ubuntu, Xubuntu have posts from other folks struggling with these Dell SSDs.

It appears you just can't get there from here. :(

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 02:26:02 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

• MEMORY: 16Gb

You don't give much detail on the symptoms, but as a starting point, the Linux Lite help documentation has sections on troubleshooting both installation and boot issues as well as a guide on the actual installation process which should be followed carefully.
clueless

Need help - Dell Inspiron 14 - SDD HDD won't boot
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 02:19:36 PM »

mjones32

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I want to replace W10 on my old Dell laptop with Linux Lite which has 32G SDD HDD

- I have created bootable USB drive with version 5.0 64 bit.
- From booted USB Linux Lite OS I ran Install with 'replace' option so W10 has been completely replaced with Linux Lite. Install completed successfully.

However the new system will not boot from HDD.  Boots fine from USB stick.  I've tried various things from BIOS, no change

Is there some sort of logical procedure I can follow to resolve this, some log I can refer to ?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 08:17:59 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section