You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Wifi problems after Updates

Author (Read 6887 times)

Re: Wifi problems after Updates
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 11:06:24 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Download the Deb packages and save them to a USB as Deb packages. Deb 8 oldstable non free ralink firmware or for the future Deb 9 stable non free misc firmware which contains ralink blobs.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 02:04:17 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello scottyjge,

Good to read you have LL working now  :)

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 08:32:47 PM »

scottyjge

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 4x AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics Memory

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ACPI Video Driver
I want to thank everyone for their input and suggestions in helping me solve this problem, but today I tired of looking for answers and I reinstalled Linus Lite and the problem went away. I wish that I would have waited just a little longer but it was getting to be a hassle to use the pc.

I have also made my mind up that I am not updating the OS anymore,  I will just wait and install the next release. That alone should save a lot of time.

Thank you everyone for helping me, I will tag this problem solved so that everyones suggestion may help someone else that runs into this problem.

scottyjge

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 02:14:05 PM »

ralphy

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Developer
    • View Profile
Let me give you another hint...

If with the kernel previous to your update it worked for you without issues, I would, instead of installing the driver, just boot up with that kernel (SHIFT key on bootup - advanced options - previous kernel) and stop updating kernel in the machine by excluding it from updates.
https://unlockforus.com

Sorry for seeming stupid and preferring Linux - I just don't know any better.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 02:04:07 PM »

ralphy

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Developer
    • View Profile
I experienced a similar issue with a friend's HP... This helped me.

The download link for 16.04 is http://www.mediafire.com/file/zyfql95clzs24z0/RT3290_u16.tar.gz

This is basically what it comes down to:

*If you update Linux kernel, you will have to run the following commands from the RT3290_u16 directory to compile and install the driver for new kernel:

Code: [Select]
./compile.sh
sudo ./install.sh

*If you do not see Wi-Fi network, you may need to activate it manually by executing the following command from RT3290_u16 folder or reboot computer:

sudo ./activate-net-rt

(the link in the site is hijacked and takes you to shady sites) so download from the mediafire link I provided above.

Good luck.
https://unlockforus.com

Sorry for seeming stupid and preferring Linux - I just don't know any better.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 01:46:50 PM »

scottyjge

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi bitsnpcs , thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately no joy. wifi doesnt work if you don't remove power. Odd ?

Thanks,
scottyjge

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 06:29:01 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello scottyjge,

I have not came across this problem before where removing the battery solved it.

Can you try Menu>System>Lite Tweaks>Clear memory
then reboot and report back the results ?
1/ Does clearing memory (like pulling the battery does) also disconnect wifi, before the restart ?
2/ After restart is wifi now connected, if so it could be a running process is interfering with the shutdown/restart process.

Doing

sudo lshw -C network
will display your network interface

The specs say it should be a Ralink RT3290 ?

Here is the tutorial for installing it if it is needed.

Another option if not the driver, is it can be a Ram issue, try removing and blowing any lint particles off the corners and connector then refitting the Ram.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 06:35:10 AM by bitsnpcs »

Wifi problems after Updates
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 10:01:41 PM »

scottyjge

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum but not new to Linux, but by no means am I an expert.  I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen this problem before.

After installing update to Linux lite, I reboot and when linux loads, I have no wifi. After a lot of playing around I discover that if I shutdown the pc, pull the battery, and then remove power for a couple of minutes, then boot I will have wifi with no problems. but if I do a restart from the log out screen the wifi will not work. I have searched Google for a month or more but I have not found any answers. When the wifi doesn't work, the access point says "Not Authorized". I have tried setting it with ifconfig and iwconfig and of course it doesn't even recognized. But if I do a shut down, pull battery, disconnect power, wait a couple of minutes then boot the PC. I will have wifi when it boots up.

This problem appeared after the last updates but why would pulling power before booting give me wifi but if I restart the pc wifi doesn't work ?  It has me pulling my hair out not being able to fix this problem.

What am I over looking or missing here ? Anyone else ever run into this.  The PC is a HP Sleekbook,    4x AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, Memory 5570MB (856MB used), running Linux Lite 3.2.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
scottyjge
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 02:11:46 AM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section