You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

unable to use" Install driver" app to install drivers.

Author (Read 21879 times)

Re: unable to use" Install driver" app to install drivers.
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2023, 02:10:29 AM »

LambD

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
encountered this earlier lol, thread came in quite handy.

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2022, 07:04:23 PM »

Mike Iwantprivacy

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Ok I'm posting this in case it helps someone in the future.
Pokeing around a bit more with the Nouveau driver.
Here is what I suspect the problem with the [semi] open source.
One some [but not all] cards the Nouveau driver needs a firmware blob from the proprietary driver to work properly.
- from the Nouveau page :

Firmware
VPE1/2 do not require any firmware to run. However, VP1/2/3/4/5 all require firmware to operate that is presently extracted from the NVIDIA binary driver. We cannot redistribute the firmware directly in linux-firmware because NVIDIA's license forbids redistribution of parts of their driver.

An effort is underway to fully reverse the underlying engines and create open-source firmware to provide out-of-the-box video decoding, please join us in #nouveau on www.oftc.net if you're interested in helping.

If you are lucky, your distribution may already have a package for installing the firmwares. Here is a list of the supported distribution:

Archlinux
Gentoo: sys-firmware/nvidia-firmware
More to come

Unfortunetly It looks like Ubuntu is not [yet] one of those disro's.
They have a method of downloading and extracting the blob, but I get some "magic" errors when I try using the extract_firmware.py application. Not sure whats up there.
I will reach out to them and see If I can clear that hurdle.

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2022, 06:01:32 PM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

• Kernel: 5.x
[...]Rule of thumb for me is to stick with a sure thing and what has always worked for me is ATI / AMD graphics and Intel graphics regardless of which type discrete / integrated / processor graphics.
I stick to the same rule. When I bought the desktop I'm on now (Dell, see the left panel data) I also bought a NVidia, just to grab an idea on what it might do on a Linux machine. I was disappointed, although I could use it without major problems. On the performance side though, the Intel GPU, is way better.
In early 2022, I bought a laptop for my wife, an ASUS M415U (6 cores, 12 threads). It works great. I had little time to test and tweak. However, in the few tests I could perform, I got some 75 - 85 FPS (topping at some 105 - 110 FPS) at rendering a video project I initially made on Dell. I just copied it on ASUS, for the exact purpose of testing the performance. While on the Intel GPU I usually get some 55 -65 FPS on a desktop, getting 75 -85 on a laptop, tells me something! The GPU is a Radeon. I forgot the details...
So, I subscribe to this philosophy: Better avoid NVidia, when possible.
On a recycled machine though, if it's a laptop, it's far more difficult, unless you work in a computer service.

Best regards! :)
"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2022, 04:02:58 PM »

The Repairman

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2333 MHz

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics

What it boils down to is that the Linux developers have to reverse engineer the Nouveau driver from the git-go.

Nvidia has not shown any interest in helping Linux with development of the Nouveau driver and I doubt Nvidia ever will.

The other problem is us users feel our old outdated hardware should be supported forever and that would be nice if that could and would become a reality however it ain't gonna happen.

All good computers and computer hardware eventually loses out to old man time and becomes outdated and no longer supported I believe it's called progress.

Most if not all of my Linux computers are curb finds discarded by other users which I upgrade to the maximum using parts I have on hand from other curb finds and discarded computers.

Rule of thumb for me is to stick with a sure thing and what has always worked for me is ATI / AMD graphics and Intel graphics regardless of which type discrete / integrated / processor graphics.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 04:06:41 PM by The Repairman »

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2022, 09:22:06 AM »

Mike Iwantprivacy

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I appreciate it. I may try later.

Right now there's something not right with the Nouveau driver.
on a clean install I can go to system manager -> GPU and I get instant video corruption.
It also looks like the video acceleration may not be working - perhaps because it looks like it needs a firmware file from the proprietary driver. There is some comment somewhere saying it "Might" be able to Install it itself but looking at the performance I don't think so.

One of the goals is to run [older] games on this box with steam but unfortunately that's just not possible with 6.2.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 08:45:21 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

[...]Maybe someday nouveau will be better. [...]
It sure will.
I have a NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM) with 2 GB of RAM DDR3. I could install the NVidia driver, but... Nothing really improved compared to Nouveau driver. Even worse: video rendering, lost about 3 - 5 FPS with the proprietary driver. Maybe it is a video-software related issue, up to some point. Anyway, with Nouveau, I could use the video card without side-effects: screen-tearing, screen-flickering or the like.
I tested that with LL 5.2 up to LL 6.0. Now I gave it up. I use the Intel integrated video chipset.

...On a second thought!
An idea came to my mind: I use for years video editing software and because of that, I'm used to install all kind of codecs.
Try this:
Open Lite Software, then check the "Restricted Extras" option. It will install some exotic media formats codecs.
Maybe this will work.

Best regards! :)
Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 07:06:08 PM »

Mike Iwantprivacy

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
firenice03

I may try that later. I'm kind of done for now.

Șerban
It looks like I didn't realize about the kernel issue. Its a shame. Maybe someday nouveau will be better. but now It is just not stable enough and does not perform where I would need it.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 03:31:38 PM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

[...]I did find the statement they wont support past kernel 5.4 but uname -r shows "5.15.0-50-generic"

There you have your answer: You want to install a driver that requires an older kernel!

I thought you knew the LL 5.x series, is based on 5.4.x LTS kernel. That is why it works under any 5.x release.

[...]next i will attempt a manual install...

You will waste your time. The driver is incompatible with the 5.15.x kernel and if NVidia retrieved the support for this hardware, then it's gone. Time to move on, or accept what is possible now.

[...]The goal here is trying to keep a older laptop useful but it looks like LL 5.8. will be the end of the line

Obviously, the goal is to keep working what is still working. But given the context, you have to accept that a new kernel is designed for new hardware, even if it works with old hardware. This also means some costs. In this case, "missing NVidia proprietary driver". Can you blame NVidia for abandoning such an old hardware?

Regards,
Șerban.

Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 02:37:01 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

I did find the statement they wont support past kernel 5.4 but uname -r shows "5.15.0-50-generic"

next i will attempt a manual install...

The goal here is trying to keep a older laptop useful but it looks like LL 5.8. will be the end of the line

As I mention in my previous reply... Try Lite Tweaks Kernel Install - install kernel version 5.4 and confirm if this helps alleviate; you will need to ensure you boot into 5.4 kernel (confirm w/ uname) and test...

It might be worth a shot ;)   == Good Luck
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 02:13:58 PM »

Mike Iwantprivacy

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
ok, no luck as of yet.

I currently have 2 SSDs for this laptop - one running LL 5.8 and one running 6.2.
This is all under 6.2 as 5.8 does not have the issue.

I have tried following the instructions from this page -
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux

Installing the PPA goes ok. However even after apt - Update I still don't see the drivers in the list.
Apt - list does not show them either.. though I would think they should be there?

I also tried "ubuntu-drivers devices" but that gives nothing back.
I did lshw -numeric -C display

It shows -
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
  *-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: G84M [GeForce 8600M GT] [10DE:407]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation [10DE]
ect..

I did find the statement they wont support past kernel 5.4 but uname -r shows "5.15.0-50-generic"

next i will attempt a manual install...

The goal here is trying to keep a older laptop useful but it looks like LL 5.8. will be the end of the line

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 10:59:25 AM »

Mike Iwantprivacy

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Sure I understand That there are problems with nvidia as a company. Especially because they do keep things closed.
But that does not help in this case of trying to work with older hardware that was supported  on LL 5.8.

I will see if i can get the PPA thing to work ..

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 09:14:00 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

[...]
This also fails in linux lite 6.0.  but works in 5.8,
Does this mean there is no way to install the older driver and i will just have to stick with LL 5.8?

Want an EXPERT opinion on NVidia? Here it is! The best expert opinion în Linux world available:

Best regards!
Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 07:11:05 AM »

The Repairman

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2333 MHz

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics

OK, I don't know what a PPA is?

This is is also in the linux lite 6.0.

Does this mean there is no way to install the older driver and i will just have to stick with LL 5.8?

https://itsfoss.com/ppa-guide/

I've read good and bad about the nivdia prime "Butterfly" PPA so use at your own risk.

As for installing the nvidia proprietary driver five and a half one way six another.

I've tried the so called ways and methods for the nvidia graphics cards I have and none of them have worked.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 10:36:07 PM »

Mike Iwantprivacy

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
OK, I don't know what a PPA is?

This also fails in linux lite 6.0.  but works in 5.8,

« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 08:55:23 AM by Mike Iwantprivacy »

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 12:43:47 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

With 6.2 being RC... I'd be curious if the issue you're seeing is replicated in LL6.0?

If not perhaps it something within the RC... If its the same in 6.0 maybe something more upstream (Ubuntu)..??

Perhaps, using Lite Tweaks to install and try the Kernel version that 5.8 used.. 5.4..
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section