Hardware - Support > Video Cards

unable to use" Install driver" app to install drivers.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Şerban S.:

--- Quote from: Mike Iwantprivacy on October 12, 2022, 07:06:08 PM ---[...]Maybe someday nouveau will be better. [...]

--- End quote ---
It sure will.
I have a NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM) with 2 GB of RAM DDR3. I could install the NVidia driver, but... Nothing really improved compared to Nouveau driver. Even worse: video rendering, lost about 3 - 5 FPS with the proprietary driver. Maybe it is a video-software related issue, up to some point. Anyway, with Nouveau, I could use the video card without side-effects: screen-tearing, screen-flickering or the like.
I tested that with LL 5.2 up to LL 6.0. Now I gave it up. I use the Intel integrated video chipset.

...On a second thought!
An idea came to my mind: I use for years video editing software and because of that, I'm used to install all kind of codecs.
Try this:
Open Lite Software, then check the "Restricted Extras" option. It will install some exotic media formats codecs.
Maybe this will work.

Best regards! :)

Mike Iwantprivacy:
firenice03

I may try that later. I'm kind of done for now.

Șerban
It looks like I didn't realize about the kernel issue. Its a shame. Maybe someday nouveau will be better. but now It is just not stable enough and does not perform where I would need it.

Şerban S.:

--- Quote from: Mike Iwantprivacy on October 12, 2022, 02:13:58 PM ---[...]I did find the statement they wont support past kernel 5.4 but uname -r shows "5.15.0-50-generic"
--- End quote ---

There you have your answer: You want to install a driver that requires an older kernel!

I thought you knew the LL 5.x series, is based on 5.4.x LTS kernel. That is why it works under any 5.x release.

--- Quote from: Mike Iwantprivacy on October 12, 2022, 02:13:58 PM ---[...]next i will attempt a manual install...
--- End quote ---

You will waste your time. The driver is incompatible with the 5.15.x kernel and if NVidia retrieved the support for this hardware, then it's gone. Time to move on, or accept what is possible now.

--- Quote from: Mike Iwantprivacy on October 12, 2022, 02:13:58 PM ---[...]The goal here is trying to keep a older laptop useful but it looks like LL 5.8. will be the end of the line
--- End quote ---

Obviously, the goal is to keep working what is still working. But given the context, you have to accept that a new kernel is designed for new hardware, even if it works with old hardware. This also means some costs. In this case, "missing NVidia proprietary driver". Can you blame NVidia for abandoning such an old hardware?

Regards,
Șerban.

firenice03:

--- Quote from: Mike Iwantprivacy on October 12, 2022, 02:13:58 PM ---

I did find the statement they wont support past kernel 5.4 but uname -r shows "5.15.0-50-generic"

next i will attempt a manual install...

The goal here is trying to keep a older laptop useful but it looks like LL 5.8. will be the end of the line

--- End quote ---

As I mention in my previous reply... Try Lite Tweaks Kernel Install - install kernel version 5.4 and confirm if this helps alleviate; you will need to ensure you boot into 5.4 kernel (confirm w/ uname) and test...

It might be worth a shot ;)   == Good Luck

Mike Iwantprivacy:
ok, no luck as of yet.

I currently have 2 SSDs for this laptop - one running LL 5.8 and one running 6.2.
This is all under 6.2 as 5.8 does not have the issue.

I have tried following the instructions from this page -
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux

Installing the PPA goes ok. However even after apt - Update I still don't see the drivers in the list.
Apt - list does not show them either.. though I would think they should be there?

I also tried "ubuntu-drivers devices" but that gives nothing back.
I did lshw -numeric -C display

It shows -
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
  *-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: G84M [GeForce 8600M GT] [10DE:407]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation [10DE]
ect..

I did find the statement they wont support past kernel 5.4 but uname -r shows "5.15.0-50-generic"

next i will attempt a manual install...

The goal here is trying to keep a older laptop useful but it looks like LL 5.8. will be the end of the line

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version