You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Strange video card images.

Author (Read 5564 times)

Re: Strange video card images.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 09:14:33 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
That is a bit strange.  Is the proprietary Nvidia driver installed on your LL 1.0.6 installation?  If you can't remember whether you did that, run this in a terminal to show what driver it is using:
Code: [Select]
sudo lshw -class display
If I had to guess, I'd say you are likely using the Nvidia driver on the installed 1.0.6; but since that driver is not included on the live DVD's that's giving you display problems.  (I haven't experienced that when running off of the generic driver, but that could be the problem on your particular hardware.)

Rather than running live DVD's, you could try running live USB's with "persistence" enabled -- that should allow you to install the proprietary Nvidia driver and allow you to test out whether that solves the problem or not.  Install Unetbootin into LL 1.0.6, then make your live USB's with it and tell it to use a persistence file.  Make the persistence file any size up to 4GB.  (If you use a 4GB USB, the ISO file will take almost 1GB of space leaving 3GB for use as a persistence file.)

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install unetbootin
A persistence file allows you to save things, make changes, add software, etc. and have those changes "persist" for each reboot of the USB.  A live DVD does not retain any changes when you reboot it.

Another option for testing is to do a full installation to a USB stick (instead of the hard drive).  Use one that is at least 8GB for that -- 16GB or larger is best.  Here's a post describing how to do that if you need it for reference:  http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=163635#p841633.  Just adapt the instructions for your USB's device name if it isn't the same as example shown.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

Strange video card images.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 03:20:03 AM »

jasonjack89

Alright, I have an Asus G50VX with an nvidia 260m Which I believe is bad. Linux Lite 1.0.6 installs and runs fine. 1.0.8 Displays nothing but flashing white 2s on a grey background. Linux mint displays horizontal white and black stripes. Linux Ubuntu 14.04 displays zig zag blank and white stripes. This all happens whilst attempting to run off the DVD. I am curious if anyone would know why the different versions of Linux display different garbled images. I would also like to know if anyone might know why Linux Lite 1.0.6 works without any issues visual or otherwise. I am a very experienced computer tech and have worked with many different operating systems. This just has me baffled.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section