Hardware - Support > Video Cards

Screen Shaking with NVIDIA Graphics

(1/3) > >>

mdiemer:
My experience has been that Nvidia 304.x will not work on Ubuntu 18-based systems, such as LL 4.x. that's because of the kernel being upgraded. AFAIK, kernel 4.4 is the last that supports that driver.

now the OP suggest that he did succeed in doing this. I have heard from the Ubuntu forum that it may be possible. I would love it as I could then also update from LL 3.8. however at least on my system I am doubtful.

LL 3.8 will work with 304, and is supported until April 2021. Another system that will work, and is still supported, is Ubuntu 16.04. You can also get extended security support for that, good till 2024. and kernel 4.4 is supported at least to 2024 as well.

j8a:
I tried to install the nvidia driver, which I downloaded from the NVIDIA site. I change the permissions before excecuting the package.
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.137.run in the command line told me to see the nvidia-installer.log, which I put below.

cat /var/log/nvidia-installer.log
nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Mon Aug 24 11:13:56 2020
installer version: 304.137

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
    ./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface
-> The file '/tmp/.X0-lock' exists and appears to contain the process ID '1153' of a runnning X server.
ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing.  For further details, please see the section INSTALLING THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Following this link: https://askubuntu.com/questions/149206/how-to-install-nvidia-run I try to bypass the X.org issue.
So, I went to the tmp folder and remove the .X0-lock file and executed the script again, but the following message appeared.
he Nouveau kernel driver is currently in use by your system.  This driver is incompatible with the NVIDIA driver, and must be disabled before proceeding.  Please consult the NVIDIA driver README and your Linux distribution's documentation for details on how to correctly disable the Nouveau kernel driver.

Does anyone can help me to solve the problem?

Regards,

mountainlover:
I finally tackled this and installed 3.8, found that driver mentioned and have been running dual boot since!  Other than some slowing issues, I have had a pretty smooth go of it.  No shaking yet.  Thank you, really appreciate it!

mountainlover:
I am going to try some of these suggestions.  I really, really appreciate these.  Thank you for taking the time.

Guillermo J:
Have you try to change drivers ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version