Hardware - Support > Video Cards

Screen Shaking with NVIDIA Graphics

<< < (2/3) > >>

mdiemer:
I had a very similar problem. I also have the 6150SE n430 graphics that came with my computer. This card is a special case, where the Nvidia drivers do work better than the open source Nouveau.

However, you cannot install the Nvidia driver on Lite 4.0 series. This is becasue 4.0 is based on Ubuntu 18, and Ubuntu 16 is the last version that supports those graphics. but Lite 3.0 series will let you install it.

The driver is Nvidia 304.135. If you install Lite 3.0, after the first round of updates you will see it when you run the Install Drivers program. You can then select it and your system will then be on Nvidia drivers.

since doing this, Lite 3.8 has worked flawlessly for me, not one graphics-related issue. (I updated to 3.8 and it still is fine).

Lite 3.x series uses Linux kernel 4.4, which is the last one that will let you install that Nvidia driver. Once you go to the Ubuntu 18-based systems, the kernel changes to a newer one that does not support that driver.

See my thread here for more details. It's the one right below yours in Video Card section. I got some of my info from the Ubuntu forum, which confirmed that 6150SE n430 is indeed a special case. most other cards from that era do fine with Nouveau, but not that one.

The good news is that Lite 3.8 is supported until April 2021, so you can use it with confidence.

TheDead:
Hi and W3Lc0m3! ;)

I had some screen shaking just last week, well, more like "pixel shaking" on the whole screen.
In my setup, it was because the refresh rate of the monitor was at 30Hz, since the monitor supported it.
Putting it at 60Hz solved the issue.

Hope this helps! :-D

Jerry:
Start again. This time create a Persistent USB - see Help Manual. Then after that, try the Legacy Driver ONLY from Install Drivers.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

mountainlover:
There is nothing listed in my Additional Drivers - I'm still running from a USB stick as that is what seems to be recommended to determine whether something is a good fit & worthy to do the actual install.  So, I haven't done updates since there's not the space available on the stick. 

With the shaky screen and moments of complete freezing up, I'm not sure whether it's because I'm running on USB and am nervous to do an install as I installed Mint and spent quite a bit of time doing the uninstall after the same problem with shaky screen/freeze ups.  Someone on Mint board suggested trying out this lighter version or anything with xfce.

However, if there is something I can install while still running off USB to help with the problems, I'm happy to do that & report back.  Although, as a newbie I need pretty base line instructions on the installs. 

Really appreciate all the help....

Jerry:
What video driver, if any, are you using?

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version