You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Problem Drivers NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 using nvidia-driver-390 Linux Lite 4.8

Author (Read 13249 times)

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

• Kernel: 5.x
Solved! Finally! Struggle no longer... Here’s what worked: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-390/+bug/1768050
[...]
Hello!
I find your solution way too complicated.
Besides, it worked by chance.
The listed messages, have a different meaning: they mean that you are trying to install a set of packages OVER an existing set.
So what you were supposed to do, was TO REMOVE the existing drivers.
I have an NVidia GK107 which is a GeForce GT630 OEM.
Linux Lite installed the XOrg drivers so I tested the latest package available from NVidia, which is 440.
After installing those packages and testing some video scenarios, I needed to know if there is a difference between XOrg drivers and the NVidia driver package nvidia-driver-440. So, I got the same messages when I wanted to install the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau packages.
After removing those with Synaptic, all went OK.

The difference

With the NVidia 440 drivers, on a 22:45" HD720p video project, it rendered with an average of 37 FPS (See the machine on the left).
With the NVidia 440 drivers, on the same project, it rendered with an average of 31 FPS. A loss of speed of 6 FPS.
Now, I want to test the other versions. On some forums, I found posts that say that the older drivers get better results.
So I assume the next test will be with the NVidia 435 drivers.
If you want to test another set of drivers, you'll have to revert to the default driver (Nouveau) by uninstalling from Synaptic Package Manager, all nvidia-*-xyz driver packages (too many to list them all).
After this, go to "Software & Updates", select "Additional drivers" and choose the driver you want installed.
Although this installer should REMOVE the unnecessary drivers, actually does nothing like this and throws the messages you saw.

Hope this will help you get the best of your video card, switching to the best results driver kit. :)

All the best!

"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 6150se nForce 430

• Kernel: 4.x
Glad it worked out for you. I will keep this in mind for my problem as well. I may try installing LL 4 on an old hard drive, and try your method. Although, 3.8 works so well I will probably keep using it until it's no longer supported.

RumDrama

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Lover
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD FX-8350 Cashed my Class Action check too!

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GTX 660

Solved! Finally! Struggle no longer... Here’s what worked: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-390/+bug/1768050

This is what I did that worked for me.

Using Terminal:
Paste this for root and hit enter:
sudo su root

Paste this whole line to get rid of all your 390 problems (ignore the 340 below) hit enter and let run. You shouldn’t see any errors:
for FILE in $(dpkg-divert --list | grep nvidia-340 | awk '{print $3}'); do dpkg-divert --remove $FILE; done

Paste this to repair the broken packages, hit enter and let run:
apt --fix-broken install

Paste this to remove things not needed, hit enter and let run:
sudo apt autoremove

Paste this to repair the broken packages, hit enter and let run:
sudo apt-get -f install

Paste this because you might as well since we’re in here, hit enter and let run:
sudo apt-get update

Paste this to clean up any mess left behind and hit enter and let run:
sudo apt-get clean

Paste this to get out of spooky root.
sudo su user <-- `user’ is whatever your login name is

Reboot just to make sure.

Done!!! So happy.  (:

I believe what I did was safe. Someone else might have a better way to do this - but this is the way I did it - worked for me - so I was ready to share it - horrible while it lasted - hope you’re successful too!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:11:29 AM by RumDrama »

RumDrama

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Lover
    • View Profile

Your efforts to solve this are admirable. This looks like a pretty old card, which makes me wonder about it working well with the latest Linux systems/kernels. I had a similar problem with my Nvidia 6150se card. Actually, it's not a card but rather the on-board graphics my old Gateway desktop came with.

You may find my thread describing my problems with this helpful:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/video-cards/old-onboard-graphics-and-linux-lite/

What I learned was that older graphics at some point just are too out of date for newer operating systems. My computer came with Vista. It still runs windows 7 fine. Windows finds a driver that will work and installs it. On Linux you need to do this yourself. It turned out that the latest Nvidia driver that would work with this system is the 304. And Linux Lite 3.8 is the latest system that will allow it to be installed. I'm doing fine with 3.8 for now, but in a year I'll have to figure something else out, like buying a new video card.

Hope this gives you some leads to follow. I would check out the links others provided, especially to the Ubuntu forum, where you can find a tutorial on how to install older drivers. I was able to get right up to the point of installing the 304 driver on Lite 4.8, using the non-GUI terminal method, but then got the same messages you got, about unmet dependencies. Fortunately Lite 3.8 is still supported for another year.

I followed your leads but had no success and the Nvidia-390 had been working until I tried to change it to 304. That's when the problems started with the broken unmet dependencies.
Thank you for replying.

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 6150se nForce 430

• Kernel: 4.x
Your efforts to solve this are admirable. This looks like a pretty old card, which makes me wonder about it working well with the latest Linux systems/kernels. I had a similar problem with my Nvidia 6150se card. Actually, it's not a card but rather the on-board graphics my old Gateway desktop came with.

You may find my thread describing my problems with this helpful:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/video-cards/old-onboard-graphics-and-linux-lite/

What I learned was that older graphics at some point just are too out of date for newer operating systems. My computer came with Vista. It still runs windows 7 fine. Windows finds a driver that will work and installs it. On Linux you need to do this yourself. It turned out that the latest Nvidia driver that would work with this system is the 304. And Linux Lite 3.8 is the latest system that will allow it to be installed. I'm doing fine with 3.8 for now, but in a year I'll have to figure something else out, like buying a new video card.

Hope this gives you some leads to follow. I would check out the links others provided, especially to the Ubuntu forum, where you can find a tutorial on how to install older drivers. I was able to get right up to the point of installing the 304 driver on Lite 4.8, using the non-GUI terminal method, but then got the same messages you got, about unmet dependencies. Fortunately Lite 3.8 is still supported for another year.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:48:43 PM by mdiemer »

RumDrama

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Lover
    • View Profile

Hi everyone.

Broken Nvidia files have become such a problem. I'm not able to install anything until this is fixed. Hope you can help me.

It started when I tied to change the video driver from 390 to 304 in Software & Updates - Additional Drivers.

This is what I see every time I install:
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libnvidia-ifr1-390 : Depends: libnvidia-gl-390 but it is not going to be installed
 libnvidia-ifr1-390:i386 : Depends: libnvidia-gl-390:i386 but it is not going to be installed
 nvidia-driver-390 : Depends: libnvidia-gl-390 (= 390.132-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
                     Recommends: libnvidia-gl-390:i386 (= 390.132-0ubuntu0.18.04.1)
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I have spent over a day on it to no avail.
I have try many different things like:
sudo apt --fix-broken install
sudo apt update --fix-missing
sudo apt install -f
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo dpkg -l | grep ^..r
sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove--reinstreq
sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
sudo apt clean
sudo apt update
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstal
sudo apt-get -f install

Thanks for your help.

Using NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 using nvidia-driver-390 on Linux Lite 4.8
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
Memory: 8207MB (4487MB used)
Machine Type: Desktop
Operating System: Linux Lite 4.8
Date/Time: Sat 16 May 2020 05:19:18 PM PDT
Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 9.0, 128 bits)
X11 Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
Audio Adapter: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

Here’s an example of my struggle:
sudo apt --fix-broken install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  lib32gcc1 libc6-i386
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libnvidia-gl-390 libnvidia-gl-390:i386
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libnvidia-gl-390 libnvidia-gl-390:i386
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/29.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 149 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 315231 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libnvidia-gl-390_390.132-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_i386.deb ...
diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.distrib by nvidia-340
dpkg-divert: error: mismatch on package
  when removing 'diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 by libnvidia-gl-390'
  found 'diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.distrib by nvidia-340'
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libnvidia-gl-390_390.132-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_i386.deb (--unpack):
 new libnvidia-gl-390:i386 package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Preparing to unpack .../libnvidia-gl-390_390.132-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.distrib by nvidia-340
dpkg-divert: error: mismatch on package
  when removing 'diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 by libnvidia-gl-390'
  found 'diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.distrib by nvidia-340'
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libnvidia-gl-390_390.132-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 new libnvidia-gl-390:amd64 package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libnvidia-gl-390_390.132-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libnvidia-gl-390_390.132-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 02:52:08 PM by RumDrama »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section