Hardware - Support > Video Cards

Problem Drivers NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 using nvidia-driver-390 Linux Lite 4.8

(1/2) > >>

Şerban S.:

--- Quote from: RumDrama on May 17, 2020, 02:03:16 AM ---Solved! Finally! Struggle no longer... Here’s what worked: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-390/+bug/1768050
[...]

--- End quote ---
Hello!
I find your solution way too complicated.
Besides, it worked by chance.
The listed messages, have a different meaning: they mean that you are trying to install a set of packages OVER an existing set.
So what you were supposed to do, was TO REMOVE the existing drivers.
I have an NVidia GK107 which is a GeForce GT630 OEM.
Linux Lite installed the XOrg drivers so I tested the latest package available from NVidia, which is 440.
After installing those packages and testing some video scenarios, I needed to know if there is a difference between XOrg drivers and the NVidia driver package nvidia-driver-440. So, I got the same messages when I wanted to install the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau packages.
After removing those with Synaptic, all went OK.

The difference

With the NVidia 440 drivers, on a 22:45" HD720p video project, it rendered with an average of 37 FPS (See the machine on the left).
With the NVidia 440 drivers, on the same project, it rendered with an average of 31 FPS. A loss of speed of 6 FPS.
Now, I want to test the other versions. On some forums, I found posts that say that the older drivers get better results.
So I assume the next test will be with the NVidia 435 drivers.
If you want to test another set of drivers, you'll have to revert to the default driver (Nouveau) by uninstalling from Synaptic Package Manager, all nvidia-*-xyz driver packages (too many to list them all).
After this, go to "Software & Updates", select "Additional drivers" and choose the driver you want installed.
Although this installer should REMOVE the unnecessary drivers, actually does nothing like this and throws the messages you saw.

Hope this will help you get the best of your video card, switching to the best results driver kit. :)

All the best!

mdiemer:
Glad it worked out for you. I will keep this in mind for my problem as well. I may try installing LL 4 on an old hard drive, and try your method. Although, 3.8 works so well I will probably keep using it until it's no longer supported.

RumDrama:
Solved! Finally! Struggle no longer... Here’s what worked: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-390/+bug/1768050

This is what I did that worked for me.

Using Terminal:
Paste this for root and hit enter:
sudo su root

Paste this whole line to get rid of all your 390 problems (ignore the 340 below) hit enter and let run. You shouldn’t see any errors:
for FILE in $(dpkg-divert --list | grep nvidia-340 | awk '{print $3}'); do dpkg-divert --remove $FILE; done

Paste this to repair the broken packages, hit enter and let run:
apt --fix-broken install

Paste this to remove things not needed, hit enter and let run:
sudo apt autoremove

Paste this to repair the broken packages, hit enter and let run:
sudo apt-get -f install

Paste this because you might as well since we’re in here, hit enter and let run:
sudo apt-get update

Paste this to clean up any mess left behind and hit enter and let run:
sudo apt-get clean

Paste this to get out of spooky root.
sudo su user <-- `user’ is whatever your login name is

Reboot just to make sure.

Done!!! So happy.  (:

I believe what I did was safe. Someone else might have a better way to do this - but this is the way I did it - worked for me - so I was ready to share it - horrible while it lasted - hope you’re successful too!

RumDrama:

--- Quote from: mdiemer on May 16, 2020, 10:35:22 PM ---Your efforts to solve this are admirable. This looks like a pretty old card, which makes me wonder about it working well with the latest Linux systems/kernels. I had a similar problem with my Nvidia 6150se card. Actually, it's not a card but rather the on-board graphics my old Gateway desktop came with.

You may find my thread describing my problems with this helpful:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/video-cards/old-onboard-graphics-and-linux-lite/

What I learned was that older graphics at some point just are too out of date for newer operating systems. My computer came with Vista. It still runs windows 7 fine. Windows finds a driver that will work and installs it. On Linux you need to do this yourself. It turned out that the latest Nvidia driver that would work with this system is the 304. And Linux Lite 3.8 is the latest system that will allow it to be installed. I'm doing fine with 3.8 for now, but in a year I'll have to figure something else out, like buying a new video card.

Hope this gives you some leads to follow. I would check out the links others provided, especially to the Ubuntu forum, where you can find a tutorial on how to install older drivers. I was able to get right up to the point of installing the 304 driver on Lite 4.8, using the non-GUI terminal method, but then got the same messages you got, about unmet dependencies. Fortunately Lite 3.8 is still supported for another year.

--- End quote ---

I followed your leads but had no success and the Nvidia-390 had been working until I tried to change it to 304. That's when the problems started with the broken unmet dependencies.
Thank you for replying.

mdiemer:
Your efforts to solve this are admirable. This looks like a pretty old card, which makes me wonder about it working well with the latest Linux systems/kernels. I had a similar problem with my Nvidia 6150se card. Actually, it's not a card but rather the on-board graphics my old Gateway desktop came with.

You may find my thread describing my problems with this helpful:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/video-cards/old-onboard-graphics-and-linux-lite/

What I learned was that older graphics at some point just are too out of date for newer operating systems. My computer came with Vista. It still runs windows 7 fine. Windows finds a driver that will work and installs it. On Linux you need to do this yourself. It turned out that the latest Nvidia driver that would work with this system is the 304. And Linux Lite 3.8 is the latest system that will allow it to be installed. I'm doing fine with 3.8 for now, but in a year I'll have to figure something else out, like buying a new video card.

Hope this gives you some leads to follow. I would check out the links others provided, especially to the Ubuntu forum, where you can find a tutorial on how to install older drivers. I was able to get right up to the point of installing the 304 driver on Lite 4.8, using the non-GUI terminal method, but then got the same messages you got, about unmet dependencies. Fortunately Lite 3.8 is still supported for another year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version