You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Old Onboard Graphics and Linux Lite

Author (Read 18160 times)

Re: Old Onboard Graphics and Linux Lite
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2021, 07:29:15 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Adding to this (but not really usefull ;) )
I do not know is it was a bug of Microsoft's doing but I had a GeForce 6150SE computer last month and was slow as a blind snail with a broken walking cane.
Machine was on W10 and strangely, it worked fine several months ago.
Maybe the Specter/etc. patches broke something... I remember I had to wipe/reinstall with an older linux because W10 had troube even booting from install media  :o .  Don't remember which Linux version though. When the machine had Windows 7, it was faster then any Intel equivalent based machine I had... doubly-strange.
Forced/Planned obsolescence maybe. 8)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:31:37 PM by TheDead »
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 11:20:39 AM »

The Repairman

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2333 MHz

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 11:52:57 AM by The Repairman »

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 08:14:00 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

Thanks @burrezo !
And if you created a Linux Lite account just for this... double thanks! ;)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 06:56:17 AM »

burrezo

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Xeon x5450

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Integrated Nvidia i610 (7050)

Hi mdiemer

You can try somthing like this: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1924354#p1924354

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 05:54:41 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 6150se nForce 430

I have discovered that the driver, Nvidia 304, simply is not supported beyond Ubuntu 16. This from the Nvidia forum, so that's pretty authoritative. I was able to attempt installation of the 32bit driver on LXLE 32 bit (based on Ubuntu 18), using the tutorial mentioned above. got to the tty1 shell and got the Nvidia installation wizard going, but it failed. So, these old 6150SE graphics will only use Nouveau drivers, which unfortunately don't appear to be adequate.

The good news is that Lite 3.0 does allow Nvidia drivers, and is working fine, so I have a year or so of support on it. I'll update to 3.8. As for my other systems, I'm not sure what I'll do but for now I'm back to Lite 3 as my daily driver. May put it on my SSD so it will be faster to boot.

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 08:48:46 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Update: Just had a display freeze, but on Zorin 15, not LL 3. Zorin has Nouveau drivers, where LL has Nvidia. Guess I'll have to try to install the Nvidias on Zorin. If it works on Zorin, I will try LL 4.0 and see if I can get them working there as well. Zorin and Linux Lite are my two favorites distros, by the way. Both are keepers. If I fail. I'll either have to resign myself to using distros based on 16.04, where I can install Nvidia 304, or use 32 bit system. Or break down and get a new video card.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 02:33:20 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Well, the latest on this: I was playing around with different combinations of memory sticks, and the latest thing I tried is 6-GB (2 X 2-GB + 2 X 1-GB). and suddenly things are working better. I have Lite 3.0 64 bit up and running, no display freezes yet. Also have Zorin 15 Lite 64 bits going, same thing. So I'm wondering if I had a bad memory stick If so, it was one of the 2-GB ones, and it's not in the computer now. (All that turning of the on/off switch in back of the computer wore it out, however, so I had to put in the original 300W power supply. Which is OK as this rig is pretty basic now, no add-in cards and just two drives hooked up).

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 06:56:33 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/hardware.html#graphics

which leads to:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/legacy-gpu/

Ctrl+F 6150SE

Table says:  The 304.xx driver supports the following set of GPUs:

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 01:34:23 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Are you sure the machine was Vista 32bit originally? Just because the OEM graphics card control interface was 32bit does not mean the OS was 32bit. I'm sure you could get the video driver and card interface to work on Debian 9 64bit as I know others who have, which means: there must be an Ubuntu resource somewhere that explains how to do it on Ubuntu.

Perhaps this one: Hint: use the manual method.

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

And/or the Debian method may help you understand the process better.

https://www.linuxbabe.com/debian/install-nvidia-driver-debian-9-stretch

If your hardware is the one showing in your profile it would be a shame to install a 32bit OS.

TC

I checked out the threads you posted. I tried them on Zorin and LXLE. The auto method did not work, got the same message (dependencies, held broken packages). Looking at the manual install, I may give that a try. However, currently I'm thinking about your last remark, about it being a shame to use 32 bit on a 64 nit system. So I'm going to put those last 2 GB of ram back in (8 GB is the max for this mobo), and try a 64 bit install. (Keep in mind that I do have the nvidia 304 driver up and running in Lite 3.0 32-bit, hopefully I can get it working in Lite 64-bit. On the other hand, maybe 64-bit system with Nouveau drivers will be fine).

Another issue in play here is the browser. I like Vivaldi, it's fast and easily customizable, highly intuitive. IMO the best browser on the planet. I have as I said turned off everything that may affect performance. That seems to have helped.

One of the display crashes on LL 3.0 32-bit was while using the terminal. Maybe that would not happen with 64 bit. I'll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:58:19 PM by mdiemer »

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 01:27:50 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@mdiemer  If your intention is to stick with 32 bit then you can use lite-upgrade to upgrade to Linux Lite 3.8, but the Linux Lite 4.x series is 64 bit only.

Thanks. I know 3.x is supported for about 15 months, that's why I chose it. I did not know that 4.x was 64 bit only. doesn't mean I can't use it, perhaps I will figure out how to make this work with 64 bit. Actually, I don't know for a fact that it won't; I'm just assuming 32 bit is safer. but that may not be true. This is all by way of experimenting anyway.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 01:24:11 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I had the same problems with the same onboard card.

I even tried to install an older nVidia driver in manual mode.
Which is a pain since you have to "close" the DE (XFCE) and do it in command line mode.
But, unfortunately, the driver can't install even like this, though, it offers to install itself anyways... but that does not work, of course.

I finally installed a Windows 10 32 bits (yes, it still exists) but had to "force" an old driver to install.
I was glad just to get the thing working and play youtube... I don't know about acceleration or 3D.
(Note : I did use 32 bits because the CPU itself was only 32bits... yeah, that old ;) , a Core Duo (not 2) T2500, Wowza!

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have Windows 7 on one of the drives, and it found the 304 driver by itself and it works fine. But this drive is just an archive at this point.

I did succeed in installing the 304 driver in Lite 3.0 32 bits and got it working in Driver Manager. Yesterday I updated, a massive one, but still left me with 3.0, same kernel I think. but then I got a display freeze. Also, typing on Vivaldi browser was very iffy. This did not happen before the update. That's what I was afraid of. With these old graphics, they may be fine with initial install, but then have problems after updates. I have turned off everything I can think of in Vivaldi settings, and that seems to have helped. We'll see how it goes from here.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 10:32:58 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Are you sure the machine was Vista 32bit originally? Just because the OEM graphics card control interface was 32bit does not mean the OS was 32bit. I'm sure you could get the video driver and card interface to work on Debian 9 64bit as I know others who have, which means: there must be an Ubuntu resource somewhere that explains how to do it on Ubuntu.

Perhaps this one: Hint: use the manual method.

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

And/or the Debian method may help you understand the process better.

https://www.linuxbabe.com/debian/install-nvidia-driver-debian-9-stretch

If your hardware is the one showing in your profile it would be a shame to install a 32bit OS.

TC

All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 09:38:14 AM »

DeepThought

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • WKDfm Radio | WKDfm Chat

• CPU: AMD Turion(tm) 64 x 2 Mobile Technology TL-60

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ATI RS480

@mdiemer  If your intention is to stick with 32 bit then you can use lite-upgrade to upgrade to Linux Lite 3.8, but the Linux Lite 4.x series is 64 bit only.
Owner and DJ at WKDfm Radio ( www.wkdfm.co.uk )

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 09:17:58 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

I had the same problems with the same onboard card.

I even tried to install an older nVidia driver in manual mode.
Which is a pain since you have to "close" the DE (XFCE) and do it in command line mode.
But, unfortunately, the driver can't install even like this, though, it offers to install itself anyways... but that does not work, of course.

I finally installed a Windows 10 32 bits (yes, it still exists) but had to "force" an old driver to install.
I was glad just to get the thing working and play youtube... I don't know about acceleration or 3D.
(Note : I did use 32 bits because the CPU itself was only 32bits... yeah, that old ;) , a Core Duo (not 2) T2500, Wowza!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

Old Onboard Graphics and Linux Lite
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 08:44:45 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi, been away for awhile, now have need for some help again.

My 8400GS card went bad recently. As a result, I am using for now the original onboard graphics for this 10 yr old Gateway GT5656 desktop. The "card" is GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. I have been experimenting with 32 bit linux systems, trying to find one that will work with this old system.

Originally, the computer was Vista 32 bit. It is 64bit capable, and I did have it 64 bit until the add-in card died. My logic is that since the computer was kind of designed for 32 bit, if I use the onboard graphics, 32 bit may work better.

On two other Linux systems (Zorin Lite and LXLE), I occasionally have display freezes, necessitating a reboot. I tried to install the NVIDIA drivers 304.xxx, but could not, on those systems. I figure they are too "new." So I installed Linux Lite 3.0, thinking an older system might allow me to install the drivers. It did, I have the 304 driver working now on Lite 3.0.

So, if I try Lite 4.0, would I run the risk of the Nvidia drivers not working, because the system/kernel is too new? (Why not just get a new add-in card? I'm trying to avoid putting money into this old beast, if possible). Also, what is your opinion re: Nouveau vs. Nvidia drivers, in a situation like this? Which are likely to work better?

Thanks,

Mike

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section