You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Nvidia card GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 FAILS

Author (Read 13470 times)

Re: Nvidia card GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 FAILS
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2022, 01:06:51 PM »

Mike Iwantprivacy

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
In fairly new myself. Still fighting some weirdness on my system.
So What I have found out is There are 2  sets of driver. the default open source drivers.
They are pretty good and getting better.  However there are a few things they just don't seem to do yet. [hardware decode of h. 264 seems to be one]

Then there is the proprietary drivers.
In linux lite you can install them under "settings" > "install drivers" > additional drivers. [give it some time to populate]
Only problem here is if they don't do what they should, they are getting updated for older hardware.

Re: Nvidia card GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 FAILS (i think)
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 11:02:13 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
Hello folks: I'm a card-carrying Linux NEWBIE still trying to understand why after installing LL 6.0 my posts say Linux Lite 4.4 in left-hand column. I appreciate your help but my Linux skills are v-e-r-y limited (I can run inxi -G in terminal mode but not much else).  It's output can be posted if helpful.

I can also follow very specific instructions if there is a "fool-proof" way to install a reliable functioning driver (either ancient Nvidia or Nouveau if one exists). Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bewildered newbie Bob

To change your forum's profile info, do as follows:
1. Click on profile > summary

2. Click on modify profile > forum profile

3. Modify the information you need/want to and when finished click on change profile

That's it. :)

Regarding the Nvidia troubleshoot and install, I've already provided you with a link https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/nouveau read it through, take some notes on specific procedures you might have doubts about, and then post a thread.
Here's another one: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/123709/en-us here you can get the latest version available (2017) for that card.
And here the instructions http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/304.137/README/installationandconfiguration.html

Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

Re: Nvidia card GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 FAILS (i think)
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 09:30:33 AM »

BewilderedBob

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello folks: I'm a card-carrying Linux NEWBIE still trying to understand why after installing LL 6.0 my posts say Linux Lite 4.4 in left-hand column. I appreciate your help but my Linux skills are v-e-r-y limited (I can run inxi -G in terminal mode but not much else).  It's output can be posted if helpful.

I can also follow very specific instructions if there is a "fool-proof" way to install a reliable functioning driver (either ancient Nvidia or Nouveau if one exists). Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bewildered newbie Bob

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 04:43:09 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

So far, there's no evidence that the video system is causing the problem, the only pointer is the title of the OP which states "Nvidia card fails".

While that might be true:
https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/nvidia-linux-drivers-causing-random-hard-crashes-and-now-major-security-risk-still-not
If anyone has used Sway-WM with an Nvidia GPU I’m sure they would remember the –my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia option.

These are a few examples of many.

The Nvidia Linux drivers have never been good but whatever has been happening at Nvidia for the past decade has to stop today.

Like I said before, "Nvidia has always been problematic on Linux, let's hope it gets better now they've decided to open their code."

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 02:12:44 PM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

• MEMORY: 16Gb

If you want to look for different drivers for your hardware, the instructions are in the help manual at the link provided earlier by Moltke.  But the information taken from the Nvidia support site suggests this may have some risk because of the lack of kernel support.

Personally I think staying with the pre-installed video drivers is probably safest at least until we understand a bit more about the problem.  So far, there's no evidence that the video system is causing the problem, the only pointer is the title of the OP which states "Nvidia card fails".

How was the card failure determined ?  Still not sure what is meant by 'this known bug'  in the original post.
Is there a link to the known bug or any further information ?
clueless

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 12:12:28 PM »

BewilderedBob

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello: the only driver used is the default provided with LL 6.0.  Since I am a recovering Windows user, specific instructions are needed to install the legacy driver you named. Thanx.

Bewildered Bob

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 11:21:09 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

• MEMORY: 16Gb

Nvidia have provided a driver for Linux, but they stopped adding kernel support to the driver at kernel 4.13.

The GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 is listed amongst many on the Nvidia Legacy driver page under the section headed

The 304.xx driver supports the following set of GPUs:
NVIDIA GPU product    Device PCI ID
Quadro FX 560    0x039E    
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430    0x03D0    
GeForce 6100 nForce 405    0x03D1

The Nvidia website also says

The Linux 304.* legacy driver series is the last to support the NV4x and G7x GPUs and motherboard chipsets based on them. Support for X.Org xserver version 1.19 was added to the 304.* legacy driver series with version 304.134, and support for Linux kernels up to Linux 4.13 was added with version 304.137. No further releases from the 304.* series are planned.

The LL help manual states

If your card is listed here (meaning the Nvidia Legacy Driver page), you can either use the pre-installed video driver for Linux Lite or you can try the legacy driver. Linux Lite recommends you stick with the pre-installed video driver as it is the most reliable, and the safest choice.

The questions for me are
what is the 'known bug' in the original post ?
what drivers have been tried so far ?

If you've not tried the Nvidia legacy driver 304.137 it might be worth a go.

clueless

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 10:46:26 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanx for the quick reply. But the screen shot shows NOUVEAU driver for the Nvidia controller selected. I assume that means that Nvidia does not provide a driver for their equipment - TRUE ??  If so, are there any addtl considerations for NOUVEAU driver(s) ??

Bewildered Bob

Screenshot? What screenshot? Try reading here https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/nouveau Sorry, but I don't have any system/machine using Nvidia hardware.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 10:48:00 AM by Moltke »

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 09:39:46 AM »

BewilderedBob

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanx for the quick reply. But the screen shot shows NOUVEAU driver for the Nvidia controller selected. I assume that means that Nvidia does not provide a driver for their equipment - TRUE ??  If so, are there any addtl considerations for NOUVEAU driver(s) ??

Bewildered Bob

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 04:16:13 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Is there any help for this known bug ??  I'm running a venerable HP desktop that previously ran Win 10. But now running Lite 6.0 there are occasional screen freezes which require reboot. The resolution was reduced from 1920,1200 to 1600,1200 which seemed to help BRIEFLY but the bug persists. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanx.

Bewildered Bob :49:

Nvidia has always been problematic on Linux, let's hope it gets better now they've decided to open their code. You could try and install the drivers from Nvidia. Read here for more info on that https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/hardware.html#nvidia

Nvidia card GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 FAILS
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 12:13:49 PM »

BewilderedBob

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Is there any help for this known bug ??  I'm running a venerable HP desktop that previously ran Win 10. But now running Lite 6.0 there are occasional screen freezes which require reboot. The resolution was reduced from 1920,1200 to 1600,1200 which seemed to help BRIEFLY but the bug persists. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanx.

Bewildered Bob :49:

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section