You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installation breaks on configuring nvidia-340

Author (Read 9356 times)

Re: Installation breaks on configuring nvidia-340
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 06:21:08 AM »

Lu Lupan

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Yes, it looks as though your hardware is just too old for our OS. Have you tried one of our builds from Series 4.x?

It could well be the case, Jerry. Funny that starting It on safe mode and inserting nomodeset It all works a treat, but somehow installation doesn't want to know about complying...
Were I more knowledgeable, I'd try and fiddle with graphics drivers and settings
I Will try with a 4.x build Indeed
Thanks by now, Will let you know how that goes.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 06:03:47 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Yes, it looks as though your hardware is just too old for our OS. Have you tried one of our builds from Series 4.x?

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 06:00:15 AM »

Lu Lupan

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Follow the Install instructions in the Help Manual. Do not set up a swap file, they are automatically set. Keep everything simple. Eg. Install to the first disk, not the second or third etc.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately that's not working doing it the straightforward way 😿.
I've tried It about 8 times the simple way. I got the strangest errors, different each single time. I'm quite close to giving It up

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 09:32:27 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Follow the Install instructions in the Help Manual. Do not set up a swap file, they are automatically set. Keep everything simple. Eg. Install to the first disk, not the second or third etc.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 09:22:28 AM »

Lu Lupan

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
What are your system specs?

Hi Jerry thanks for following this up. 🙂🙂🙂
These are my system s specs.
Fujitsu ESPRIMO V6555 DDR2-SDRAM (4Gb) 1280 x 800 pixels Intel® Core™2 Duo 3 GB 250 GB NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G 

I have news. In the offchance of some hard disk troubles I've tried the following:

Reformatted sda as follows:
Sda1 ext4 100 GB
Sda3 swap 8gb
Sda4 ext4 100gb
Sda5 ext4 292gb

I've installed Ubuntu 20.04 on sda1. Didn't work either, Just again, but at least now I have a working grub with a "sacrificial os" on the partition I was suspicious of, sda1.

I've installed Linux Lite on sda4.  Set sda3 as swap, and sda5 as home.
I have installed it on safe mode, with nomodeset, and unchecking the proprietary drivers option.
Apparently all good, but at the required restart it just hangs, no ctrl alt canc, and I end up having to push the off button.

At next restart, i try booting Lite, and It all eventually hangs on again. Button shutdown again...
So I try recovery mode, enable connection, repair broken packages, fix grub, and resume boot.... Well It all works great now!!!
But..
Only up to next restart... When it All hangs again.
So back to recovery, do the same steps described, but this time:  once logged in, the Lite screen appears, but I cannot interact with anything.
So I ctrl alt F2 into terminal, I get asked credentials again, I'm in... But really don't know what to try next.

Now, the thing Is, when (in recovery mode) the repair of broken packages was performed, a lot of stuff was downloaded and installed, and I am sure I have seen some dreaded Nvidia and Xorg words scrolling up on the list of files.😱😥🙄
I would really like to know if and how I could revert to the non Legacy configuration through Terminal...
Any chance you could help me with a step by step on It?
I am not quite ready to give up yet.
My daughter has gotten quite fond of that feather she's seen me struggling for in the last few days 😅, you are, it's her laptop I'm trying to sort out.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 04:22:39 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

What are your system specs?

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 08:02:53 AM »

Lu Lupan

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Hi Jerry
I've tried reinstalling without the proprietary drivers. Installation accomplished.
Different problem thought. Very long hang on shutdown, "waiting for swapoff".
And on restart, the kernel doesn't load.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:22:19 AM by Lu Lupan »

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 05:49:18 PM »

Lu Lupan

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
You have legacy nVidia, so you need to follow the advise here - https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/hardware.html#graphics

If you insist on having the proprietary driver, you can try (completely remove any nvidia drivers you have tried to install so far first, reboot, then do):

Code: [Select]
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
but there is no guarantee. The nouveau driver is the most reliable. Very old hardware like yours works better with the included (nouveau) drivers.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions.
I'll try and do a reinstall disabilitating proprietary software sources, in case proprietary drivers came from that option being enabled.
I have no working os to try modifying drivers differently so far, as installation totally breaks.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:32:01 AM by Lu Lupan »

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 05:13:16 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Moved to Video Cards section.

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 05:10:27 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

You have legacy nVidia, so you need to follow the advise here - https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/hardware.html#graphics

If you insist on having the proprietary driver, you can try (completely remove any nvidia drivers you have tried to install so far first, reboot, then do):

Code: [Select]
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
but there is no guarantee. The nouveau driver is the most reliable. Very old hardware like yours works better with the included (nouveau) drivers.

Installation breaks on configuring nvidia-340
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 02:01:19 PM »

Lu Lupan

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Hi guys, I've tried multiple Linux Lite latest version installations on my  Fujitsu esprimo v6555, but they keep totally breaking after  hanging a very long time on "configuring nvidia-340 (amd64)".
Totally unusable machine this way😿😥🤷.  I used to run Ubuntu 14 lts  dual boot with a long gone Windows 7 on it, but unfortunately  Ubuntu's upgrade broke the os totally. So I've tried unsuccessfully several fresh installs of Ubuntu 20 lts and of Linux Lite running into Nvidia troubles(Single boot).
Looking through a lot of different distros documentation I've found  an Hint👀👀 : apparently my old machine might be better off with nvidia  304 driver than 340. With suggestion to do an installation through live usb's terminal.
Now I'd love to give that a go...
But I'm afraid I'm not competent enough to work out the way to do It.
Any kind creature that could feel like helping me out with a step-by-step path to try out  there?
Thank you in advance

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section