You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Help need intel compatability! Basic xeon with built in graphics setup D=

Author (Read 10101 times)

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Just leaving this here as an information resource. Don't know if it speaks to the original poster's problem but it appears to cover intel graphic drivers for 14.04 *buntu based installations.

http://www.noobslab.com/2014/03/intel-graphics-installer-helps-you-to.html

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Bottom line for those looking to buy a comp with on board graphics and a free Linux os. I suggest staying away from intel and going with one of the brands that is supportive of the free os community.

A bit late,, but for info..
I have 1 Laptop & 2 PC's all Intel with Integrated Graphics, and all running Linux Light perfectly

HP Laptop i5-4200u with integrated HD4400 Graphics

ASUS P8H61 i5-3450S(3rd Gen) with Integrated HD2500 Graphics

ASUS H87I-Plus i5-4570S(4thGen) with Integrated HD4600 Graphics
(Brand new selfbuild mini PC, done a quick test install, but going to re-install with my specific partition config, was going to be Win7 Pro, but I'm kind of hooked on LL :) :) )

Cheers - Dave
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Quote from: linux noob
Bottom line for those looking to buy a comp with on board graphics and a free Linux os. I suggest staying away from intel and going with one of the brands that is supportive of the free os community.

Sorry you had such problems.  I don't have any computers that use Intel integrated graphics, but in their defense, they actually do have good Linux support for many of their devices and actively develop the drivers -- which is much more than most companies do.  Looks like you just unluckily picked one of ones they don't support well.

Generally speaking, from what I've read and seen on forums, most i3, i5, & i7 processor/integrated graphics combo's will work without issue in Linux.  Only caveat is when the graphics chip is a very recent model -- then Linux drivers may not be immediately available.  Xeon processor combos on the other hand, I have seen a number of posts regarding issues with them.  (There are other exceptions as well -- some older ones that have problems -- but generally speaking Intel is pretty good with their Linux support.)  I know that doesn't help you much, linux noob, but just wanted to make sure others don't get the wrong impression.

P.s.  I have absolutely no affiliation with Intel at all.  As a matter of fact, I happen to prefer AMD processors myself and have 5 computers that all have AMD in them.  (Intel's over-priced in my opinion -- but that's a different issue.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:24:10 AM by gold_finger »
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

linux noob

I have talked with intel about this issue after chatting with intel customer service. I was informed that Intel has not released basic xeon support drivers for linux users on their new c226 chip set which appears to be the new standard for onboard server graphics by both intel and supermicro boards. They have plenty of drivers for windows support however none for Linux graphics. The customer service rep claimed that the paid versions of Linux Redhat and SuSE have overcome this by embedding the support in their OS without the use of an intel driver. I tried the free version of SuSE Linux and I was at least able to surf the net without the graphic lag. However, I was unable to load even a simple game of tf2 due to graphic issues and SuSE also did not label my graphics as intel. I bit the bullet today and bought the $130.00 win 8.1 pro.

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

The previous post from N4RPS sounds like great advice. It appears LL108 won't work with the current Intel drivers (aka graphics installer) and LL106 *might* work with an old version that is no longer supported. Sort of defeats the purpose of installing proprietary drivers for better performance.

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

I you can wait a month or two for it, Linux Lite 2.0, based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, may be the best solution to your problem. Meanwhile, you could try a LiveCD of Xubuntu or Ubuntu 14.04 to see if those OSs share the same issue...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

linux noob

I followed many youtube tutorials and ran the terminal copy paste commands which worked for many videos and none worked for me. The tutorials and the link seemed to have trouble with product versions. Ubuntu seems to have a fix for this at

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

which offers the fix labeled "Graphics Installer for Ubuntu* 13.10, 64-bit"

I download and run this "fix" and it says "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.37.3)"

which appears to be another indication that other system files need to be updated first.

If this is the case, is there a way to upgrade to ubuntu 13.10

or higher?

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I did a little web surfing on the topic and here's what I learned.

Here's a link to the Intel Open Source Technology Center
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/

This page (scroll to the bottom) talks about driver release information
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2014/intelr-graphics-installer-1.0.4-linux
Note. Official support for Ubuntu 12.04 ended with Intel Graphics Installer for Linux version 1.0.1 on May 20. 2013 but that doesn't mean you can't still try to get something working :)

Here's a youtube video about the process
http://www.youtube  .com/watch?v=DCrkDJjhw_k

linux noob

"Hi Linux Noob. Have you tried checking for drivers with "menu > settings > install drivers"? Also, this is an actual install not a virtual machine setup?"

I have had quite an adventure in the driver updating,

The menu>settings>install drivers says "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system." after it searches for about 10 seconds

I also ran a program called "Intel Driver Manager" by "Intel Open Source Technology Center" and it does a scan and says "Checking if intel graphics card available..." and it pops up a message saying "You dont have an Intel graphics card, so no updates needed"

I went to Intel website and ran Intel driver update utility which has a description of
"The Intel® Driver Update Utility keeps your system up-to-date. It detects which driver updates are relevant to your computer, and then helps you install them quickly and easily"
and it runs for about 1 minute then says
"The intel driver update utility failed.
Possible web browser compatibility, firewall, or installation issue detected.
Select OK to troubleshoot issue"
then i select ok and it says under the firefox area:
"Make sure you have the latest version of Java* installed.
Click Check your system for the latest updates to run the Intel® Driver Update Utility again. "
i installed the auto updating oracle java7 64 bit for linux and this error still pops up(very happy people posted how to install that version)

I run a home office and my windows comps do usually have big problems figuring out the motherboard until i run the install disk that comes with the board. the latest version of the update is at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22830&lang=eng

On that page, would i chose the Red hat or Suse or there is 2 different independent OS links. I have no clue how to install them in linux lite or which version to chose.

Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated XD

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi Linux Noob. Have you tried checking for drivers with "menu > settings > install drivers"? Also, this is an actual install not a virtual machine setup?

linux noob

board:Intel® Server Board S1200V3RPL

processor: Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1275 v3 (8M Cache, 3.50 GHz)

board is the standard Xeon type for a normal computer case and it has a built in vga graphics port
processor is the standard Xeon that has built in intel HD4600 graphics

The intel board was more expensive than some of the other boards. I didn't want any compatibility issues for this because of this being my first linux build so i paid the extra for both intel brand. Spatry's cup of linux review was great on linux lite, he said his 70 year old mother uses it and how user friendly it is. My experience with it is great so far however it doesn't seem to figure out my on board graphics. I click system>system information>display and it says

-Display-
Resolution      : 1280x1024 pixels
Vendor      : The X.Org Foundation
Version      : 1.13.3
-Monitors-
Monitor 0      : 1280x1024 pixels
-Extensions-
BIG-REQUESTS
Composite
DAMAGE
DOUBLE-BUFFER
DPMS
DRI2
GLX
Generic Event Extension
MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
MIT-SHM
RANDR
RECORD
RENDER
SECURITY
SGI-GLX
SHAPE
SYNC
X-Resource
XC-MISC
XFIXES
XFree86-DGA
XFree86-VidModeExtension
XINERAMA
XInputExtension
XKEYBOARD
XTEST
XVideo
-OpenGL-
Vendor      : VMware, Inc.
Renderer      : Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.2, 256 bits)
Version      : 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7
Direct Rendering      : Yes

under the same menu and summary it says

-Computer-
Processor      : 8x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v3 @ 3.50GHz
Memory      : 32885MB (1015MB used)
Operating System      : Linux Lite 1.0.8
User Name      : equestriangamers (equestriangamers)
Date/Time      : Mon 05 May 2014 10:44:24 AM PDT
-Display-
Resolution      : 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer      : Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.2, 256 bits)
X11 Vendor      : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
-Input Devices-
 Power Button
 MOSART Semi 2.4G Keyboard Mouse
 MOSART Semi 2.4G Keyboard Mouse
 Generic USB Keyboard
 Generic USB Keyboard
 American Megatrends Inc. Virtual Keyboard and Mouse
 American Megatrends Inc. Virtual Keyboard and Mouse
-Printers-
No printers found
-SCSI Disks-
ATA KINGSTON SKC300S

I have tried to play a basic steam game like TF2(Team fortress 2) and graphics almost lag lock me in place.
As a linux noob i have googled to fix this and by copy pasted commands and tried downloading many things and its still broken

Any help is very much appreciated =D

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section