You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Graphics drivers

Author (Read 11820 times)

Re: Graphics drivers
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 05:35:35 PM »

TeemarkTh0mas

OUTSTANDING,,thanks it was the "release" because i started getting the ubuntu splash screen.. the issue with graphics is resolved by using a spare gt7950 card; drivers loaded as predicted. appreciate all the help..now, to learn linux..........

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
is there a way to review what updates i have gotten and which might be the one i declined?  much thanks for the help, tomt
You can check log file under /var/log/apt directory.  Will be file called "history.log" under it that you can open and inspect with your text editor, leafpad.  Will list most recent packages installed/updated, but I don't think it will show how you answered configuration file question (keep or replace?).

In all likelihood the two config files that the updater asked you about were /etc/issue and /etc/lsb-release.  Since you answered "No" to one and "Yes" to the other, one of yours is different now than it should be.  Here are commands that will show you what yours look like followed by what you should see.  Compare your command results to what they should be and if one of them does not read the same, you will need to edit the file and change it back.

First command:
Code: [Select]
cat /etc/issue
What you should see as output:
Linux Lite 2.0 LTS \n \l

Second command:
cat /etc/lsb-release
What you should see as output:
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Lite 2.0"

Once you see which of the two files needs to be changed, follow directions as posted here for the particular file you are changing.  You can follow directions starting at this point in that post:
To make the change
1. Open the file manager, Thunar
2. Navigate to the /etc folder in Thunar

The post describes changing the /etc/lsb-release file.  If you need to change /etc/issue, just substitute that and follow same procedure to change it.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 07:39:10 AM »

TeemarkTh0mas

hmm. well.. in conjunction; the very first system update, which was just after i installed; i got the huge list of green text of things being downloaded and installed,,etc.. i did get 2 stop's where i was told something wanted to modify something and did i want to or not, with default being not; the first instance [i have no idea what it pertained to] i selected default,or no, the second i allowed after having a minute to think about it all. i thought i could "catch" the first request on a subsequent update. i was wrong. i havent gotten the option again. is there a way to review what updates i have gotten and which might be the one i declined?  much thanks for the help, tomt

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 03:36:06 AM »

tompa

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 4Gb

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:59:17 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
I assume you ran Install Updates after your new install? If so, and it still shows no drivers then you have to use the one that is already provided. Not all machines for a variety of reasons, require proprietary drivers.

Graphics drivers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »

TeemarkTh0mas

new install of LL2.0 i did a terminal   sudo lshw -C display  which shows my Ati HD4850 card  BUT when i "update drivers" i get no drivers found. soo? what should i do?? i have updated the OS.. 
 description: VGA compatible controller
       product: RV770 [Radeon HD 4850]
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: 00
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
       resources: irq:45 memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:fd9e0000-fd9effff ioport:be00(size=256) memory:fd900000-fd91ffff

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section