You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Dual GPU AMD and Nvidia cannot use TV-Port (Component)

Author (Read 6482 times)

Re: Dual GPU AMD and Nvidia cannot use TV-Port (Component)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 11:47:16 AM »

othello7

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dodgeblock.cf

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 3.4GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: MSI Radeon RX 460 (2GB)

• Kernel: 5.x
Thank you for your reply,
I think my goal was "hybrid" graphics. Having to reboot in order to switch it almost would be pointless because I could reboot into my windows installation. The problem is, even shown in that link, a lot of these solutions seem targeted at latops with integrated Intel graphics and Nvidia GPUs. amdgpu seems a little strange at times and I wasn't sure how to proceed in some cases.

I looked into switcheroo, but apt search switcheroo only came up with switcheroo-control which appears to be just a service while the mysterious vga-switcheroo does the work, but only works with the default video drivers (which dont work on my PC). I haven't really found anything which allows me to both install amdgpu and nvidia drivers (trying boots to black screen). xrandr only lists 1 provider right now.

Ok, I didn't know whether it would be ok to post this under ubuntu or not thank you for clarification.
While I have learned a lot in the past year or two, I have only been using linux for about a year and haven't fully delved into the advanced features of how the OS works.

Re: Dual GPU AMD and Nvidia cannot use TV-Port (Component)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 01:30:27 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Are you asking to run either/or? Given that the second dev is nvidia and how nvidia installation works on Linux I would guess you would need a script defining which should start when for initramfs microcode loading. You could hack it together by running two different kernels and choosing which to boot from grub. But one would have to be selectively updated. Have you asked this question at ask Ubuntu or stack exchange? You might have better luck there. It is beyond me right now.

There have been some user interfaces in the past for this, but currently they are not updated to python 3. You may want to try the system76 application. It's a PPA and with XFCE you will have to run it from the CLI.
https://support.system76.com/articles/graphics-switch-ubuntu

Otherwise check to see if switcheroo is installed. Search in your package manager. If not install it and see if both your GPUs show up.

TC
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 11:30:36 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Dual GPU AMD and Nvidia cannot use TV-Port (Component)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 11:20:54 PM »

othello7

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dodgeblock.cf

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 3.4GHz

• VIDEO CARD: MSI Radeon RX 460 (2GB)

This is a pretty advanced problem. I use an MSI Radeon RX 460 2GB model video card for day to day gaming and primary monitor viewing. I would like to be able to use my secondary video card Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS. In particular, TV-Port component video feature (NTSC 60Hz 640x480). On windows this can be easily accomplished by installing Nvidia drivers or even just going into default advanced settings in some cases. My problem here is not only have I had mixed results from TV port on linux, but I have to use amdgpu drivers in order to even see anything on my primary monitor. I have also tried installing Nvidia drivers alongside existing amdgpu ones but it just reboots into the same black screen I got after install. I looked a little into Dual GPU on linux but most of that seems to be targeted at laptops with Nvidia and Intel graphics. Is this possible? Thanks

amdgpu version: amdgpu-pro-20.50-1234664-ubuntu-20.04
Code: [Select]
inxi -c 0 -CGMSz
System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2 Distro: Linux Lite 5.4 LTS
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z97-HD3P v: x.x serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends v: F4
           date: 09/19/2015
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-4770 bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 8192 KiB
           Speed: 1600 MHz min/max: 800/3900 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1600 2: 1665 3: 1645 4: 2780 5: 2628 6: 1805 7: 1934
           8: 1878
Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Baffin [Radeon RX 460/560D / Pro 450/455/460/555/555X/560/560X] driver: amdgpu v: 5.9.10.20.50
           Device-2: NVIDIA G84 [GeForce 8600 GTS] driver: N/A
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1200~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 460 Graphics (POLARIS11 DRM 3.40.0 5.4.0-77-generic LLVM 11.0.0) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.6

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section