You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Assistance with VIA VX855-based system

Author (Read 10197 times)

Re: Assistance with VIA VX855-based system
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 08:05:34 PM »

starhawk

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: VIA Eden 1.0Ghz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: VIA VX855 Chipset
No real replies, still...? Screw this. Ya'll folks got no dang business producin' some crap if ya cain't support whatcha make. Whadda buncha amateurs.

I'm better than this. (You should be, too...) Off to see if Mint people are better to me. I bet they are.

starhawk --> out.

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 10:17:27 AM »

starhawk

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Just realized -- ISOLinux will do a CRC of the ISO -- so I can't simply edit it. Roky, if you're still around -- someone else if he's not -- can I do what we in Puppyland would call a manual frugal install to USB with this distro? (May try it just to find out.) Basically, for the others, that's "copy the contents of the DVD image to USB and install Grub4Dos". I've never ever done that with a non-Puppy distro.

Made the drive, haven't tested it yet. My fault.

Anyone know if there's a text-mode install-to-PC doohickey? That would also work here.

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 10:01:07 AM »

starhawk

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Well -- double congrats!

If you feel like offloading any of your computer stuff, well, you know where I live ;) PM me on Murga if you've lost the info.

I'll have to owe you for shipping for a little bit tho.

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 09:41:26 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
I had a birthday a few days ago. Which made me eligible to apply for Social Security. So I retired from my shop .
I am more busy now retired than when I ran my motorcycle repair shop.  It has been a good business for me all these years.
I am removing  all my gear and emptying the shop  because of a plan I have had for awhile.
I am adding 10 more feet to the length of my shop. I am also re-concreting and elevating the shop floor to keep rain off the floor.
I could post pictures but I am off topic enough already. Plus I do not want to make anyone jealous with all my toys.

Some folks have IRA's. I have toys instead of a IRA. My life philosophy is not even close to any ones else idea on how life should e lived. 
But I am a happy camper with grandkids and am comfy during all seasons of weather.
I still have not finished remodeling the old hospital I call home.

My retirement business is to turn my motorcycle shop into a Pet Day Care center. I own 5 dogs and 1 cat so I am already set up for this.
The oil rig workers bring their pets and live in travel trailers.
It will be a lucrative business practice for  me and not require a lot of effort or work on my part and will still be a fun job to work at every day.
I still have to finish some chain link pen work outside the shop and being a one man crew.

I have no time for Murga, Computers, or much else until the early or late hours. Because I am outside all day.

So that is where I have been. Living life.  On a poor mans budget. Using my brain.

LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 09:04:54 PM »

starhawk

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Now, you're about the last person I expected to see over here! Gave me a chuckle seeing that name. Where you been, man? You haven't posted over at the Puppy place that much lately...

As for this forum... that would explain a few things. I didn't actually look at the statistics -- had I, I might've been a little less temperamental. I'm still a little dismayed, but consider it, er, tempered a bit. Scaled back.

Just realized -- ISOLinux will do a CRC of the ISO -- so I can't simply edit it. Roky, if you're still around -- someone else if he's not -- can I do what we in Puppyland would call a manual frugal install to USB with this distro? (May try it just to find out.) Basically, for the others, that's "copy the contents of the DVD image to USB and install Grub4Dos". I've never ever done that with a non-Puppy distro.

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 07:20:38 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Yes, that is the package -- now, how do I apply it?

since you cannot get into a graphical desktop.

ctl+alt+f1

should give you a terminal prompt.

hopefully you downloaded the right 32 bit deb to usb and used your puppy iso to throw that .deb in /home/<username>

to run the install

Code: [Select]
sudo dpkg -i <name of openchrome 32 bit .deb goes here>
It should show it installing. You only need the first few letters for openchrome .deb typed in. Then hit tab key to autocomplete.
Reboot when done.
On my savage and via computers. I gave up on savage and openchrome and just rolled with vesa.
I found the newer xorg does not play nice with these graphics chips.

PS. Murga has more worldwide members. Plus members period. Plus is a older forum than this one.
Kinda comparing small town vs big city when it comes to support.
I was also told to take into consideration the user base here.
Windows refugees.
Which means they have no idea on supporting linux.
Only old hands like me.
I do not come here every day.
My boxes need no phone in support.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:26:27 PM by rokytnji »
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 04:59:45 PM »

starhawk

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Yes, that is the package -- now, how do I apply it? ;)

I cannot (apparently) boot to a graphical desktop on that system with Linux Lite, nor can I access text mode the way I can in Puppy (I realize I'm in a different place, but by way of comparison -- CTRL+ALT+BKSP does the trick over there, without restarting the GUI immediately). If I knew that the boot manager did not check for ISO integrity before booting, I could modify the requisite SquashFS file, "baking it in" -- which would work fine for me -- but whether (and how) that is checked, is something I do not have an answer to at the moment.

I apologize if I sound angry -- I'm not -- I'm just frustrated. Again, I know I'm not there, but on Puppy's support forum I'd have received at least one set of explain-like-I'm-five level instructions at well inside of four hours, and probably inside of half of one hour (it depends a little on the time of day). In fact, I've been on the side to provide that, and I've been well inside the shorter period personally. I'll note that the Puppy Forum tends to have more members that are spambots than are actual users and devs!

Meanwhile, it's been almost exactly forty-eight hours here. Hey, I freakin' love the distro itself, already -- it's far, far better than Linux Mint on the same hardware, and it's even faster than the XFCE Puppy I use, which is no small feat -- but I can't say I'm as impressed with the hold times I'm getting when I (metaphorically speaking) phone in for customer service, you know? Maybe this is more normal for forum help waiting times, and I'm just spoiled or what-have-you by my fellow Puppians -- but, nevertheless, I am a little disappointed and a little frustrated at how long this is taking.

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 04:14:34 PM »

avj

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz

• VIDEO CARD: AMD/ATI RC410 Radeon Xpress 200/1100
You may want to check out the link below. It appears that it could be what you are looking for.

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/precise/main/base/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 11:42:32 AM »

starhawk

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Ya know, I don't blame you on that one!

That Spectrum Vega doesn't look keyboardy enough ;) I like the real thing more than the redo, I think.

EDIT: ...so as not to bump and irritate. Checked out Linux Lite on one of my tinkerin' machines, an ASUS 1005HA netbook. Booted from USB (a tool on the Puppy forum called ISOBooter -- much easier to use even than Unetbootin, which I've never had work properly outside of Windows). Very friendly -- and fast! Puppy is considered one of the faster distros out there. I use a remix (it's complicated) called "X-Tahr 1b3" which is based on TahrPup which in turn is based on Ubuntu Trusty Tahr -- like Linux Lite is. X-Tahr has, by way of comparison, the following baked-in apps -- XFCE+Thunar, Firefox 38, Abiword (WP), GNumeric (spreadsheet), Sylpheed (email), mtPaint (drawing), eVince, and a few miscellaneous smaller bits and bobs that I can't be bothered to remember. Linux Lite has more professional stuff -- I see LibreOffice and the GIMP in there -- and it's marginally faster, just enough to notice.

I'm highly impressed.

For the record, I also looked at Linux Mint on the same machine (I'd been able to install it to the same drive) and I was... far less enthused. Definitely slower than Puppy, couldn't install from the software center (not even an error message!)... and I had to start Firefox in Terminal, it wouldn't run from the menu (no error shown there, either... hmm...). Rather a mess, if you ask me. Even the default desktop wallpaper there is shameless self-promotion. Here it's a feather, which I suppose is in a similar vein, but it's rather more... subtle. At least, it is to me.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:34:12 PM by starhawk »

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 11:39:03 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Unfortunately after many house moves(15), inc 5 international since 1981, I just let stuff go.
You can get a Spectrum Vega if you want :)
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 11:17:50 AM »

starhawk

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Off topic -- I just noticed your older systems mention -- that's some good stuff. I've two Commodore 64s, two Commodore Plus/4s, an MC-10, TRS-80 CoCo Model II (IIRC), and a PC-XT system. Some of it's scratch'n'dent tho -- the C64s have memory issues, one of the Plus/4s has a destroyed keyboard cable, and the PC-XT refuses to boot (I think its BIOS has had a bit flip or two from too much time in the sun ;) ). But -- like I said -- good stuff :) You still got any of it? I wish I had a ZX Spectrum. (Alas, shipping to the US would be an absolute killer.)

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 11:11:04 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

O.K, GL
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 11:07:17 AM »

starhawk

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I have not. I wouldn't think that would help much, either -- the issue is definitively with the driver, and is being pursued in their bugtracker as bug # 91966. (Link) I am working with a fellow named Kevin Brace to solve the issue. Until it is resolved, really the only solution on this hardware is to roll the driver back to the last known good version -- which would be Precise Pangolin's v.0.2.904.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 11:00:19 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

No problem...
LL is based on Ubuntu 14.04, have you checked into the Ubuntu Forums, maybe Hardware.??
GL

Computers Early days:

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 10:54:07 AM »

starhawk

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Sorry about that, then. Just wanted to put out a tickler.

I will wait.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section