You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

AMD proprietary drivers for 3.0

Author (Read 7487 times)

Re: AMD proprietary drivers for 3.0
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 06:47:24 PM »

frank392

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor

• MEMORY: 24Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [GeForce GTX 650 Ti]

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 10:05:10 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860
Same here. i run 2.8 on my IBM with AMD graphics.

I second toredale...
If you were my neighbor, I would personally install Linux Lite 2.6 for you, and then upgrade you from there to Linux Lite 2.8.  I think you would be happier with the result.  And you would still have just over 2.5 years of support left.  That's also 2.5 years for AMD to decide if they want their proprietary drivers to be a part of Ubuntu again.

Remember the issue you having; whether its a black line, screen tearing, a few other known issues isn't a fault of LL3.0 its any Ubuntu 16.04. AMD/ATI/Radeon support isn't there as it was in Ubuntu 14.04 (LL2.x series) the easiest and most stable resolution(IMHO) would be install 2.6 then 2.8 and see if support returns..
If you really want LL3.0 or any 16.04 you'll be chasing drivers... And truthfully the fault isn't Ubuntu, AMD is no longer maintaining the driver..

Some info to get you started.. I don't know your exact chip/model so the info is semi generic..
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu-1604-amd&num=1
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-GPU-PRO-Linux-Beta-Driver%E2%80%93Release-Notes.aspx

Good luck and keep us posted
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 03:08:23 PM »

pavlepiramida

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMDSempron(tm) Processor LE-1150 2.0Ghz

• MEMORY: 1Gb
I second toredale...
If you were my neighbor, I would personally install Linux Lite 2.6 for you, and then upgrade you from there to Linux Lite 2.8.  I think you would be happier with the result.  And you would still have just over 2.5 years of support left.  That's also 2.5 years for AMD to decide if they want their proprietary drivers to be a part of Ubuntu again.

Remember the issue you having; whether its a black line, screen tearing, a few other known issues isn't a fault of LL3.0 its any Ubuntu 16.04. AMD/ATI/Radeon support isn't there as it was in Ubuntu 14.04 (LL2.x series) the easiest and most stable resolution(IMHO) would be install 2.6 then 2.8 and see if support returns..
If you really want LL3.0 or any 16.04 you'll be chasing drivers... And truthfully the fault isn't Ubuntu, AMD is no longer maintaining the driver..

Some info to get you started.. I don't know your exact chip/model so the info is semi generic..
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-GPU-PRO-Linux-Beta-Driver%E2%80%93Release-Notes.aspx

That tearing you mentioned is due to the drivers? (I have AMD 740G onboard)
Ive noticed it a few times when using apps like Viber,FB Chat...;render would brake,badly
(although system is using Galium0.4 drivers)

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 09:16:17 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
I second toredale...

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 06:56:49 PM »

RobGoss

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • RobGoss

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: R5220
When I had 3.0 installed on this Dell it produced a faded line across the whole screen I know it has something to do with this distro 3.0 because with the 2.8 it does not happen.  I know you stated it was my graphic card because it was ADM
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:03:17 PM by RobGoss »

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 06:33:48 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

Radeon is the model name of a series of AMD/ATI graphics cards.

I don't know what shaded line you're referring to.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:05:33 AM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 04:30:36 PM »

RobGoss

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • RobGoss

I addressed this in your other post concerning AMD graphics cards and Linux Lite 3.0.  Based on your posts, it doesn't seem like you're having a lot of fun right now with your AMD graphics card.  It doesn't have to be that way.

I've looked at the specs for that Dell Inspiron 531 machine, and that leads me to this.  If you were my neighbor, I would personally install Linux Lite 2.6 for you, and then upgrade you from there to Linux Lite 2.8.  I think you would be happier with the result.  And you would still have just over 2.5 years of support left.  That's also 2.5 years for AMD to decide if they want their proprietary drivers to be a part of Ubuntu again.

Hello I remember your mentioning the ADM graphic card, and I also stated I changed it to another card the Radeon grachip card, R5 / 220, 

I did install 2.8 because 3.0 was not working as it should but I was wondering if there was anyway to get 3.0 to work on this machine with out that shaded line across the screen. I don't have a problem installing Linux lite just have the line issue with 3.0
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:32:25 PM by RobGoss »

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 01:44:44 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

I addressed this in your other post concerning AMD graphics cards and Linux Lite 3.0.  Based on your posts, it doesn't seem like you're having a lot of fun right now with your AMD graphics card.  It doesn't have to be that way.

I've looked at the specs for that Dell Inspiron 531 machine, and that leads me to this.  If you were my neighbor, I would personally install Linux Lite 2.6 for you, and then upgrade you from there to Linux Lite 2.8.  I think you would be happier with the result.  And you would still have just over 2.5 years of support left.  That's also 2.5 years for AMD to decide if they want their proprietary drivers to be a part of Ubuntu again.

Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 06:34:19 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Moved to Hardware > Video Cards.

AMD proprietary drivers for 3.0
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 06:19:16 AM »

RobGoss

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • RobGoss

I'm using one of my machines, Dell 531 and I installed 3.0 on it then I notice a shaded line across the screen this machine had a ADM graphic card but I changed it to a Radeon grachip card, R5 / 220, is there anyway to correct this and get rid of this shaded on the screen?

Thanks so much
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:25:10 AM by RobGoss »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section