Hardware - Support > Video Cards

AMD E350 with ATI Radeon HD - very slow on video playback

(1/5) > >>

anon222:

--- Quote from: UNLIMITY on March 17, 2015, 05:18:47 PM ---Wow, never heard of needing to update CPUs microcode. But I used Windows many years, so it's handled here by Windows updates maybe? Don't wanna invade this thread though. Just installed intel microcode package and my microcode version changed from 0xa1 to 0xa4.

Btw, for me, playback is faster in GNU/Linux than Windows, but I don't have a integrated GPU. I don't even use proprietary drivers.

Btw found this:

Warning: With linux 3.17-2 and linux-lts 3.14.21-2 and newer versions, Intel microcode updates are not triggered automatically any more. Many AUR kernels have followed the path of the official ARCH kernels in this regard: with linux-ck 3.16.6-3, Intel microcode updates are not triggered automatically any more.

Will it concern even us later?

--- End quote ---
That's because arch hasn't enabled microcode loading support.
In order for early loading to work in custom kernels, "CPU microcode loading support" needs to be compiled into the kernel.
If you stick to the Ubuntu kernels it will work. Not sure if Jerry enables CPU microcode loading support in the custom kernels.

--- Quote from: hcasarrubias on March 17, 2015, 05:50:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: misko_2083 on March 16, 2015, 06:25:56 AM ---You could reduce the swap use. That will speed up your PC.
By default it's set to 60.
IMPROVEMENT, Now that I have the swapiness at 10 its much better but still halts on video, i had no time to do the rest my time inf front on this (Family Computer) is limited will try the microcode tonight and share results

Regards

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Good to hear. Ubuntu sets it to 60, that's usefull if you are running server. Not really a good value for the desktop use. On a PC with 786MB of RAM I would set the swapiness to 5.
I've never had an APU.  Not any experiance with that, my friend. I've used only AGP/PCI-e cards and onboard graphics.

check if the kernel module is loaded

--- Code: ---lsmod | grep radeon
--- End code ---
Display graphics info

--- Code: ---inxi -G
--- End code ---

Sometimes it's just the flash player and nothing can be done about that. Adobe droped development for linux and Firefox uses flash player 11.2. Adobe still releases security pathes for 11.2. If Chome works ok you could just use that. Chrome uses a   Pepper Flash Player and it can't work with Firefox. Pepper Flash Player uses a different interface with the browser than Adobe Flash Player.

hcasarrubias:

--- Quote from: misko_2083 on March 16, 2015, 06:25:56 AM ---You could reduce the swap use. That will speed up your PC.
By default it's set to 60.

IMPROVEMENT, Now that I have the swapiness at 10 its much better but still halts on video, i had no time to do the rest my time inf front on this (Family Computer) is limited will try the microcode tonight and share results

Regards

--- End quote ---

hcasarrubias:

--- Quote from: UNLIMITY on March 17, 2015, 05:18:47 PM ---Wow, never heard of needing to update CPUs microcode. But I used Windows many years, so it's handled here by Windows updates maybe? Don't wanna invade this thread though. Just installed intel microcode package and my microcode version changed from 0xa1 to 0xa4.

Btw, for me, playback is faster in GNU/Linux than Windows, but I don't have a integrated GPU. I don't even use proprietary drivers.

Btw found this:

Warning: With linux 3.17-2 and linux-lts 3.14.21-2 and newer versions, Intel microcode updates are not triggered automatically any more. Many AUR kernels have followed the path of the official ARCH kernels in this regard: with linux-ck 3.16.6-3, Intel microcode updates are not triggered automatically any more.

--- End quote ---

I'm a MICROCODE VIRGIN as well but i guess is part of turning in to Linux, LEARN LEARN LEARN.

in regards of the Video Playback, That was really upseting mecuzeverybody was telling me that LINUX its much better for graphics in general, and considering how well Android deviced handle video, It really bugs me that i strugle with this.  how ever, i still feel that Linux Lite it's a keeper and will be my primary OS but with Chrome for Internet,

Zead:
Wow, never heard of needing to update CPUs microcode. But I used Windows many years, so it's handled here by Windows updates maybe? Don't wanna invade this thread though. Just installed intel microcode package and my microcode version changed from 0xa1 to 0xa4.

Btw found this:

hcasarrubias:
Next, you could install microcode. This is usefull only for AMD processors from the year 2006 and up. Your is newer I think.

--- Code: ---sudo apt-get install amd64-microcode
--- End code ---
Reboot after that.
Now check whether the microcode has been loaded properly.

--- Code: ---dmesg | grep microcode
--- End code ---
You should see several reports about the applied microcode.
[/quote]

Yes My CPU has a built in HD RADEON 6130 and it was released in 2011 i bought it in late 2012 as a low end economy solution to a fried (ATHLON X2 MB with DDR2 RAM).

i will try the micro code as well

Thanks alot for all the support will post results

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version