You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

AMD E350 with ATI Radeon HD - very slow on video playback

Author (Read 17439 times)

Re: AMD E350 with ATI Radeon HD - very slow on video playback
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 06:29:58 PM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Pentium E5700 3GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce GT 430
Wow, never heard of needing to update CPUs microcode. But I used Windows many years, so it's handled here by Windows updates maybe? Don't wanna invade this thread though. Just installed intel microcode package and my microcode version changed from 0xa1 to 0xa4.

Btw, for me, playback is faster in GNU/Linux than Windows, but I don't have a integrated GPU. I don't even use proprietary drivers.

Btw found this:

Warning: With linux 3.17-2 and linux-lts 3.14.21-2 and newer versions, Intel microcode updates are not triggered automatically any more. Many AUR kernels have followed the path of the official ARCH kernels in this regard: with linux-ck 3.16.6-3, Intel microcode updates are not triggered automatically any more.

Will it concern even us later?
That's because arch hasn't enabled microcode loading support.
In order for early loading to work in custom kernels, "CPU microcode loading support" needs to be compiled into the kernel.
If you stick to the Ubuntu kernels it will work. Not sure if Jerry enables CPU microcode loading support in the custom kernels.
You could reduce the swap use. That will speed up your PC.
By default it's set to 60.
IMPROVEMENT, Now that I have the swapiness at 10 its much better but still halts on video, i had no time to do the rest my time inf front on this (Family Computer) is limited will try the microcode tonight and share results

Regards
Good to hear. Ubuntu sets it to 60, that's usefull if you are running server. Not really a good value for the desktop use. On a PC with 786MB of RAM I would set the swapiness to 5.
I've never had an APU.  Not any experiance with that, my friend. I've used only AGP/PCI-e cards and onboard graphics.

check if the kernel module is loaded
Code: [Select]
lsmod | grep radeonDisplay graphics info
inxi -G
Sometimes it's just the flash player and nothing can be done about that. Adobe droped development for linux and Firefox uses flash player 11.2. Adobe still releases security pathes for 11.2. If Chome works ok you could just use that. Chrome uses a   Pepper Flash Player and it can't work with Firefox. Pepper Flash Player uses a different interface with the browser than Adobe Flash Player.

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 05:50:57 PM »

hcasarrubias

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

IMPROVEMENT, Now that I have the swapiness at 10 its much better but still halts on video, i had no time to do the rest my time inf front on this (Family Computer) is limited will try the microcode tonight and share results

Regards

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 05:30:29 PM »

hcasarrubias

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Wow, never heard of needing to update CPUs microcode. But I used Windows many years, so it's handled here by Windows updates maybe? Don't wanna invade this thread though. Just installed intel microcode package and my microcode version changed from 0xa1 to 0xa4.

Btw, for me, playback is faster in GNU/Linux than Windows, but I don't have a integrated GPU. I don't even use proprietary drivers.

Btw found this:

Warning: With linux 3.17-2 and linux-lts 3.14.21-2 and newer versions, Intel microcode updates are not triggered automatically any more. Many AUR kernels have followed the path of the official ARCH kernels in this regard: with linux-ck 3.16.6-3, Intel microcode updates are not triggered automatically any more.

I'm a MICROCODE VIRGIN as well but i guess is part of turning in to Linux, LEARN LEARN LEARN.

in regards of the Video Playback, That was really upseting mecuzeverybody was telling me that LINUX its much better for graphics in general, and considering how well Android deviced handle video, It really bugs me that i strugle with this.  how ever, i still feel that Linux Lite it's a keeper and will be my primary OS but with Chrome for Internet,

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 05:18:47 PM »

Zead

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb

Btw found this:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:25:25 PM by UNLIMITY »

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 10:01:22 PM »

hcasarrubias

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Next, you could install microcode. This is usefull only for AMD processors from the year 2006 and up. Your is newer I think.
sudo apt-get install amd64-microcodeReboot after that.
Now check whether the microcode has been loaded properly.
dmesg | grep microcodeYou should see several reports about the applied microcode.
[/quote]

Yes My CPU has a built in HD RADEON 6130 and it was released in 2011 i bought it in late 2012 as a low end economy solution to a fried (ATHLON X2 MB with DDR2 RAM).

i will try the micro code as well

Thanks alot for all the support will post results

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 09:57:33 PM »

hcasarrubias

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
WOW that is way ahead of my current little linux knoledge but I understand the Idea, to translate to Windows Language, I have to reduce the swap file by getting more ram.

I was thinking about Upgrading to 4 G cuz I will still use WIN7 from time to time
would that help on Linux Lite?

I also noticed that CPU usage its HUGHE when playback HD video using both cores at maximum.

Is the built in GPU still not being used correctly by the Catalyst driver?

Regards and thanks alot i will verify the memoty settings tonight

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 06:25:56 AM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Pentium E5700 3GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce GT 430
The Linux kernel provides a tweakable setting that controls how often the swap file is used, called swappiness.
A swappiness setting of zero means that the disk will be avoided unless absolutely necessary (you run out of memory), while a swappiness setting of 100 means that programs will be swapped to disk almost instantly. If it's set to 60, the swap file will be used fairly often if the memory usage is around half of my RAM. You can check your own system's swappiness value.
Ctr+Alt+T to open Terminal then type in:
cat /proc/sys/vm/swappinessShould be 60.
As I have 3 GB of RAM, I've turned it down to 10. The swap file will then only be used when my RAM usage is around 90 percent. To change the system swappiness value, open /etc/sysctl.conf as root.
gksudo leafpad /etc/sysctl.conf Then, add this line to the end file:
vm.swappiness = 10Save it: File...Save.
Reboot for the change to take effect.
Now check it again.
cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

To calculate your swap Formula

free -m (total) / 100 = A

A * 10

free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          3009       2689        320         47         51        993
-/+ buffers/cache:       1644       1364
Swap:         3068          0       3068

total is 3009 / 100 = 30.09 * 10 = 300.9
That means when 10%, 300.9 MB of ram is left then it starts to use the swap.

I assume you are using propriatary drivers.
Next, you could install microcode. This is usefull only for AMD processors from the year 2006 and up. Your is newer I think.
sudo apt-get install amd64-microcodeReboot after that.
Now check whether the microcode has been loaded properly.
dmesg | grep microcodeYou should see several reports about the applied microcode.

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 04:23:14 AM »

hcasarrubias

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
STARTING TO SEE THE LIGHT....

I have tried different browsers to determine if the problem is drivers or flash or resourses, and this are the results

Firefox ,  very slow video playback on web streaming,even after fully cached.
Chromium, almost Flawless still some halts but much better, full screen pretty bad still
Chrome, after fully cashed and all other apps closed, even at full screen HD its pretty good with just minimal halts.

Any thoughts

I Have 2 Gigs of RAM and the Video Ram share is Auto on the BIOS.

Re: AMD E350 with ATI Radeon HD very slow on video playback
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 11:55:59 PM »

hcasarrubias

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Try the second one in the list.

THIS IS AN OLD THREAD...but i'm trying to give a shot with the new 2.2 release, are there any updates on the integrated GPU processors? after talking to many Ubuntu based users and reading diferent forums, there has been alot of video playback or 3d issues with this kind of cpu's.

Any Feedback or comments?

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 12:50:48 AM »

hcasarrubias

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
same results, what bugs me is that with XP and original drivers it is much better :( i guess the APU with GPU integrated is too new for linux

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 08:31:52 AM »

Dookus

• Registered Linux User 533331
  • Forum Regular
  • I'm just this guy .... y'know?!
    • View Profile

• CPU: Many

• VIDEO CARD: Many
Worth a try downloading the Linux Driver from

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download 

Open a terminal

sudo sh /home/your_username/Downloads/amd-driver-installer-XXXXXXXX.run

change the values to suit your system and downloaded file.

I'm just this guy ... Y'know!?
Registered Linux User 533331

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 12:54:10 PM »

hcasarrubias

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I have tried them all, and they take very long time to load, or change about 5 minutes for the blue bar to complete the process and the results are the same, worst or slower than before the updates. I Have a Gygabyte MB with the AMD -350 integrated and 2gb of ram DDR3 ...oh Hd is 500gb SATA-3 NOT Solid.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 03:00:09 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Try the second one in the list.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 10:01:20 PM »

hcasarrubias

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Now that I ran the updates its worst....meaning slower and even the windows you can see them load like a Windows machine without video drivers

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 12:22:21 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Do Install Updates, then check Additional Drivers and post a screenshot here. Thanks.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section