You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

After install, system freezes...

Author (Read 7806 times)

Re: After install, system freezes...
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 08:34:07 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
There's a known issue with Dropbox, we're waiting for a fix. Intel - you should be fine there, Intel contribute a lot to the Linux kernel.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »

glin22

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core 2 duo

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: onboard VGA support
The procedure for updating the proprietary Nvidia graphics driver wasn't too bad, now the computer is pretty much rock solid, anything I try to do goes smoothly, no freezes anymore. I did have a small problem with not being able to use Dropbox though, I uninstalled and installed it few times but I ended up having to go out to the Dropbox site and use their installer, now the thing works.

I've got a few other systems I'd like to get LL on, but I think the video driver is Intel based, hopefully I can get those going as well.

Anyway, To the people who gave help, Thanks !

Glin22

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »

avj

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD/ATI RC410 Radeon Xpress 200/1100
Installing the Nvidia driver is covered in the help manual under "Video Drivers" just scroll down to the heading "Graphics - NVIDIA" and follow the instructions.
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 08:26:56 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Code: [Select]
video                  18903  1 nouveau
00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C73 [GeForce 7050 / nForce 610i] (rev a2)
Install the Nvidia driver instead of running open source nouveau . The freeze will go away then.
I am busy testing AntiX 15 presently so I am not on my LL box.

Hopefully some other member will give the instructions on getting the Nvidia proprietary driver going for you.
It is pretty easy as far as I know in Linux-Lite.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 01:33:38 PM »

glin22

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried to do those inxi -Fxz and inxi -G, my system freezes when I do them. But I was able to create a system report which is attached.

glin

[attachment deleted by admin, expired]

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 08:54:16 AM »

avj

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I agree with  rokytnji the next thing is to get more info about your hardware so the people with the experience can get an idea of where the problem lies. Open a terminal and run the inxi code  rokytnji posted and post back with the results.
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 09:07:45 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
A
inxi -Fxz is what I use to give specs like I did when I joined this forum.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/introductions/howdy-from-a-scooter-tramp-with-a-linux-computer/msg3875/#msg3875

Might help knowing what you have for starters.

inxi -G
shows graphics info. I know Jerry likes for new users to use

Menu, System, Create System Report. Attach it to your next post. Cheers.

But being a PITA sometimes. I am not a new user so I suggest other things.
It's his baby, so at least create a system report and attach it so members know your gear.

inxi is in LL 2.4 so I figure I might as well use it since I am comfy in terminal.

For the cdrom question.

cd /dev
Hit enter/return key.

Then type in

ls
Look around for sro and cdrom. If both are in there. I'd try /dev/sro before /dev/cdrom. Some apps prefer sro.

LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 08:15:22 PM »

glin22

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Avj,

I checked and my md5 checksum is indeed correct, your method saved a bunch of time but I still would like to know how to check things using the script I have, I just need to know how to set the path for the Cdrom device but I am not that up on Linux directory structure.

I just did a system information check, I chose summary on the left side right below where it says computer, my system freezes up. I noticed on the bottom is says "Scanning: Display...",

We know my checksum is good, What do I need to do next in order to solve this freeze problem ?

glin22

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 07:02:31 PM »

avj

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I am sorry but I have no idea how to read the checksum from a cd/dvd if thats possible.  The easiest way to check the md5sum for the iso is to open the file manager and navigate into the directory where it was downloaded, if you still have it, and right click on the .iso file and go down the list to "Check Md5sum" click it and when it finishes it will display a string of numbers and letters. Check this string against the md5 checksum available on the page you downloaded the iso from.  If every thing matches the download is ok, if not you should download the iso again. I usually use a download manager that has md5 checking built in and put the string in so it can be checked after the download completes without me having to do anything extra. One such download manager is an add-on for firefox called "down them all" it is the one I use, but you may find others.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 04:19:32 PM »

glin22

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I need a bit of help in setting the path to the cdrom to do check the hash. I got a hash checking script from Ubuntu and saved it on my desktop.

Is /dev/cdrom the path I want ? I can see cdrom there but don't know if that's the one I should set the path for.

glin22

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »

avj

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

One of the first things to get out of the way is to ask if you did a md5 sum check after downloading Linux Lite if not you should probably do that first. This will verify that your download wasn't corrupted due to network problems.

After install, system freezes...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 02:15:26 PM »

glin22

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi folks,

I've been through about 7 installs of various versions of Linux - Ubuntu 14.04-2 LTS, Lubuntu 15.05, Lubuntu 15.04 Alt, and now Linux lite 2.4, all 32 bit versions. The basics of my system- 2 MB ram, Intel core 2 duo, onboard VGA support.

I got Ubuntu installed but had freezes most of the time (barely useable), Lubuntu would freeze up during install procedure, Linux lite 2.4 installed fine.

I was really happy as Linux lite seemed to fit the bill better than the other versions of LInux, but sometimes I would still freeze up like when I would try to use Firefox, check display config screen settings, and doing stuff in the terminal. But Linux lite is *FAR* more stable than anything else I've tried so I'd like to see if we can fix this or at least find out why my probs are happening. The bad part is that when I freeze up I can't get into the terminal at all, Ctrl - Alt- F2 or CTrl - alt- T will not work, are there any other key combos that can get a terminal going ?

I'd appreciate if someone who has more skills than I do can give me some ideas on what to check out, etc. Do you have a pastebinit thingie that I can use to ship you more detailed tech info on the system ? Tell me what you want me to do.

I really like what the Linux Lite team has done, you Dev folks have done a very nice thing, but hope we can get the system more stable.

Thanks,
glin22

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section