Hardware - Support > Video Cards

[SOLVED] Dell Optilex SX280 Graphics

(1/4) > >>

bobw:
Thanks a lot sysdrum & Jerry - it works!

I'd tried using Application Autostart, but I got the command wrong.

Jerry:
Following on from what sysdrum has said, make sure your script is enclosed in quotes, example:

--- Code: ---bash -c "sleep 2; /path/to/script/myscript"
--- End code ---

sysdrum:
Settings manager>Session and Startup> Select the tab Application Autostart
From there select Add
In the command field select the script you wish to run.
Name it and then reboot and see if it works.

bobw:
I have now sorted out this problem, apart from one small issue.

Thanks again to sysdrum,for pointing me to the info I needed at:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution .  The commands that succeeded in giving me a 1280*1024 display are:
--- Code: ---xrandr --newmode "1280x1024_60.00"  109.00  1280 1368 1496 1712  1024 1027 1034 1063 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode VGA1 1280x1024_60.00
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024_60.00
--- End code ---

This solution sets the display for the current session.  What I have not managed to do is set it automatically when the system boots.  However, I have the three commands in a shell script which is run from a launcher on the desktop, so it only requires one click after booting.  Infinitely better than what I had before.

I've tried various ways of automating it as suggested in the page at the above link.  I've also tried running the script and the individual commands from the root and user crontabs at reboot, and running the script from the Application Autostart tab in the Session and Startup menu window, but I haven't got it to work.
I know that it must be possible to do it - the problem is my lack of knowledge.  It's not important now, because I have a solution that works, but if anyone wants to tell me how to automate it I would certainly be interested.

bobw:
Thanks for the suggestions Jerry and gold_finger.

--- Quote ---xrandr -q should give you a list of capable resolutions. Start with that.
--- End quote ---
does not show 1280x1024

--- Quote ---Is monitor directly connected to the computer?  Or are you using a KVM switch or adaptor of some sort?
--- End quote ---
It is directly connected.

I still haven't been able to test the possible solutions in the ubuntu wiki page that sysdrum referred me to, but I will do tomorrow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version