You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[SOLVED] After switching to the nvidia driver, the xfce setup is messed up

Author (Read 12030 times)

gogobebe2

Oh lol. Because I went from ubuntu to linux lite and just copied the whole home folder, then merged the files.

Mentioning that in the first post certainly would have helped, that is why your system is borked! Lesson learned I guess :)
xD

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Oh lol. Because I went from ubuntu to linux lite and just copied the whole home folder, then merged the files.

Mentioning that in the first post certainly would have helped, that is why your system is borked! Lesson learned I guess :)

gogobebe2

I would be very selective about what you back up in your home folder, this will be one place where configuration files are messed up at the moment. ONLY back up configs specific to programs you have installed.

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

I would be very selective about what you back up in your home folder, this will be one place where configuration files are messed up at the moment. ONLY back up configs specific to programs you have installed.

gogobebe2

P.S. during your first batch of updates, if the updates stop at any time just hit Enter for each prompt, don't type anything, just hit Enter each time.
Thankyou, also when I backup my home folder, what do I have to delete so that when I copy my home folder over again the xfce doesn't get messed up again. Or is xfce settings not saved in the home folder? Because I plan on keep my other programs configs and settings files.

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

P.S. during your first batch of updates, if the updates stop at any time just hit Enter for each prompt, don't type anything, just hit Enter each time.

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

No problemo, have fun :)

gogobebe2

Yeh, your system looks pretty messed up. To be honest you're using a low end nvidia card, using the proprietary driver is of no benefit to you. The nouveau open source driver will be just fine. I'd back up your files and reinstall. 10 minutes of reinstall vs hours of frustration, up to you :)
Haha thanks for the help. Looks like it's a re-install. :/

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Yeh, your system looks pretty messed up. To be honest you're using a low end nvidia card, using the proprietary driver is of no benefit to you. The nouveau open source driver will be just fine. I'd back up your files and reinstall. 10 minutes of reinstall vs hours of frustration, up to you :)

gogobebe2

Follow my instructions and we'll go from there :)
Switched back to nouvea, will reboot now and get back to you. Honestly, thank you so much for replying to my post so quickly.
I rebooted and it's still default xfce :(
I think I might have to re-install but I really don't want to have to re-install all my programs I've installed.

gogobebe2

Switched back to nouvea, will reboot now and get back to you. Honestly, thank you so much for replying to my post so quickly.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:59:28 AM by gogobebe2 »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

gogobebe2

Do you have the GeForce GT 430? Because I don't think that is a legacy card so you may have installed the wrong driver. The legacy driver is for older graphics cards.

Open up Menu, Settings, Install Drivers and remove the nvidia legacy driver, then reboot. Then open up Menu, Settings, Install Drivers, select the proprietary tested driver, then reboot. I don't know if this will return your system to 'normal' but it's a good place to start. Correct driver install procedure is in the Help Manual here - https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/hardware.html#nvidia

Code: [Select]
william@william-linux:~$ lspci -vnn | grep VGA -A 12
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] [10de:0de1] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device [1458:3505]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at f9000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Memory at ee000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
I/O ports at ef00 [size=128]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at e8000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: nvidia

05:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0bea] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device [1458:3505]

So yeah GT 430 :/

I remember right after I logged in from rebooting it asked me to switch back to default, but at the time didn't know what that meant. Is there a way to get that prompt window back?
I've tried rebooting again didn't work.

Thanks for trying to help solve my issue.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:55:44 AM by gogobebe2 »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Do you have the GeForce GT 430? Because I don't think that is a legacy card so you may have installed the wrong driver. The legacy driver is for older graphics cards.

Open up Menu, Settings, Install Drivers and remove the nvidia legacy driver, then reboot. Then open up Menu, Settings, Install Drivers, select the proprietary tested driver, then reboot. I don't know if this will return your system to 'normal' but it's a good place to start. Correct driver install procedure is in the Help Manual here - https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/hardware.html#nvidia

[SOLVED] After switching to the nvidia driver, the xfce setup is messed up
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 12:30:12 AM »

gogobebe2

I recently installed linux lite. I went to change from the nouvea driver to the nvidia legacy updates driver, restarted my pc. I remember being prompted to have default xfce  or something else and I think I clicked ok but can't remember. Then my whole xfce system went from the normal xfce setup that comes when you install linux lite to the default bad looking default xfce that is plain xfce. Does anyone know how I can change this back?
Thanks help is much appreciated.
 :)

This is what it looks like now:

My system info:
Here is the hardinfo_report.html I generated:
http://pastebin.com/ECSYzqH0
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:54:46 AM by Scott(0) »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section