You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Black screen after sleep. Asus EEE1025

Author (Read 20220 times)

Re: Black screen after sleep. Asus EEE1025
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 10:06:14 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
As for new thread question, please do so. Opening a new thread would help some folks with the same hardware.
This is Asus EEE1025 thread.

Started a new https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/video-cards/black-screen-after-hibernate-intel-graphics/
Updates will be posted...

***** UPDATE *****
I corrected the waking from hibernate on my hardware - Please see the new thread...
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/video-cards/black-screen-after-hibernate-intel-graphics/
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:45:45 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 11:01:03 PM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Pentium E5700 3GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce GT 430
Try
Code: [Select]
sudo update-grubRemember to use the quotes " "
Just add parameters without the command
Should work with all pm-utils
ADD_PARAMETERS="--quirk-vbe-post --quirk-vbemode-restore"
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.SuspendThis is another way, very usefull because it doesn't need sudo.

Thought I'd update.....
This issue is weird  :P I've tried a few quirks individually... Some "seem" to work but only once...
The
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspendonly suspends the system - which the system doesn't seem to have to a problem waking from - only a lid closed hibernate.

I can add a quirk/update grub - close lid the system hibernates no problems - after a few I'll press power to wake, I get GRUB, it "thinks" feather bar, shows a tty screen for a second then the log on prompt. - which.. The big IF..
If I get the "this session is locked - redirecting" screen pop up, which then comes back to same log on = it will work..
If it stays on the log on screen and I log on - goes black, needs to be rebooted.
- thus far it seems to work the 1st time after a reboot, after a 2nd hibernate goes black.

I've disabled light locker was able to wake and go thru "waking" and directly to desktop (no log on prompt)

I'm still testing  8) ..

FWIW: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
I'll keep updated - not sure but since I'm not running "Asus EEE1025" I can move to a new thread..??...
Weird stuff. There is a known issue with lightdm-webkit-greeter that's where the popup window is coming from.
We should change a greeter eventualy. Probably with LL 3.0.
This command will put the comp to hibernation:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.HibernateAs for new thread question, please do so. Opening a new thread would help some folks with the same hardware.
This is Asus EEE1025 thread.

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 10:41:32 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Try
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.SuspendThis is another way, very usefull because it doesn't need sudo.

Thought I'd update.....
This issue is weird  :P I've tried a few quirks individually... Some "seem" to work but only once...
The
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspendonly suspends the system - which the system doesn't seem to have to a problem waking from - only a lid closed hibernate.

I can add a quirk/update grub - close lid the system hibernates no problems - after a few I'll press power to wake, I get GRUB, it "thinks" feather bar, shows a tty screen for a second then the log on prompt. - which.. The big IF..
If I get the "this session is locked - redirecting" screen pop up, which then comes back to same log on = it will work..
If it stays on the log on screen and I log on - goes black, needs to be rebooted.
- thus far it seems to work the 1st time after a reboot, after a 2nd hibernate goes black.

I've disabled light locker was able to wake and go thru "waking" and directly to desktop (no log on prompt)

I'm still testing  8)..

FWIW: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
I'll keep updated - not sure but since I'm not running "Asus EEE1025" I can move to a new thread..??...

@hb Was your issue with a flickering screen? Mines not doing this, other than waking from hibernate screen working normally.
- but may look into a bit..

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 01:32:37 AM »

hb

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5-5200

• VIDEO CARD: intel 5500
Hey here https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/video-cards/screen-running-and-flickering/ is a solved similar issue which may be of some help.

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 09:05:38 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for the update - I'll retry a few.

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 03:10:23 PM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Try

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 10:54:25 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

On some hardware putting the video card in the suspend state and recovering from it needs some special quirk handling.
Read the manual.
man pm-suspend
Thanks - Didn't know about the manual..

try running sudo pm-suspend with some of the quirks
For example:
sudo pm-suspend --quirk-reset-brightness
The trick is finding the right combination. It could be just one parameter or several.
When you find the right quirk. Test your system to see if all is running OK.

From the manual, to save it create a file in /etc/pm/config.d/
Name it anyway you like.
gksu leafpad /etc/pm/config.d/my-quirkcontaining
ADD_PARAMETERS="pm-suspend --quirk-vbe-post --quirk-vbemode-restore" to make the quirk stick. Just use the parameters that work for you.
Which quirk works depends on your hardware, kernel, driver, KMS settings and the probably the phase of the moon. :)
Save. After reboot it should work.
Testing a quirk seems to work initially but after creating the "my-quirk" file it no longer works..
Does the my-quirk file need referenced in a script or ?? (Like adding to grub to activate the file - just as an example)
Can the quirk file have multiple lines of parameters like:
ADD_PARAMETERS=pm-suspend --quirk-reset-brightness
ADD_PARAMETERS=pm-hibernate --quirk-reset-brightness
Or should I have a separate my-quirk for each function
I know I can string additional quirks on a line
sudo pm-suspend --quirk-vbe-post --quirk-vbemode-restore

You can put the pc to suspend without sudo with dbus-send.
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend
Is this another way to suspend the vs pm-suspend? I tested with by closing the lid :)

Thanks again!!

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 10:47:35 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Which quirk works depends on your hardware, kernel, driver, KMS settings and the probably the phase of the moon. :)
I hear ya, lol  ;D
Issue is with Dell Mini with Intel video, my other Dell with SIS all seems to work fine (I don't close a lid but still sleeps/hibernate)..

Is there a way to see what fails or doesn't initialize - debug or something, I sometimes wonder if its not the driver too..
Just a thought..
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:58:05 PM by firenice03 »

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 02:41:12 PM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

My Dell Netbook (w/ Intel Graphics) appears to do the similar.  Running LL2.2 and same with LL2.6

Since its a "laptop" I want to close the lid or after X time have it hibernate after a screen saver. After waking from hibernate , I see the log on screen I can log in then black... Rebooting corrects until the next time.

I've read that it could be lightdm (I think how it was referenced) and/or the screen saver..
I used the following workaround when I want to hibernate..
In terminal (does require root)
sudo pm-hibernateI typically leave a terminal window up just having to up arrow to the last command. If I put into hibernate, I have no issues waking.

One of these days I'm going to chase the cause down.... But the above works for the time being.
On some hardware putting the video card in the suspend state and recovering from it needs some special quirk handling.
Read the manual.
man pm-suspendtry running sudo pm-suspend with some of the quirks
For example:
sudo pm-suspend --quirk-vbe-post --quirk-vbemode-restoreor
sudo pm-suspend --quirk-reset-brightnessor
sudo pm-suspend --quirk-dpms-onAll the quirks:
  --quirk-dpms-on
  --quirk-dpms-suspend
  --quirk-radeon-off
  --quirk-reset-brightness
  --quirk-s3-bios
  --quirk-s3-mode
  --quirk-vbe-post
  --quirk-vbemode-restore
  --quirk-vbestate-restore
  --quirk-vga-mode-3
  --quirk-none
The trick is finding the right combination. It could be just one parameter or several.
When you find the right quirk. Test your system to see if all is running OK.

From the manual, to save it create a file in /etc/pm/config.d/
Name it anyway you like.
gksu leafpad /etc/pm/config.d/my-quirkcontaining
ADD_PARAMETERS="pm-suspend --quirk-vbe-post --quirk-vbemode-restore" to make the quirk stick. Just use the parameters that work for you.
Save. After reboot it should work.
You can put the pc to suspend without sudo with dbus-send.
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 01:00:11 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

My Dell Netbook (w/ Intel Graphics) appears to do the similar.  Running LL2.2 and same with LL2.6

Since its a "laptop" I want to close the lid or after X time have it hibernate after a screen saver. After waking from hibernate , I see the log on screen I can log in then black... Rebooting corrects until the next time.

I've read that it could be lightdm (I think how it was referenced) and/or the screen saver..
I used the following workaround when I want to hibernate..
In terminal (does require root)
sudo pm-hibernateI typically leave a terminal window up just having to up arrow to the last command. If I put into hibernate, I have no issues waking.

One of these days I'm going to chase the cause down.... But the above works for the time being.

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 10:28:48 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Is there a way of going back a version?

Short of you reinstalling 2.2, no. The updater was designed to go forward only, not back.

I know you don't want to hear this, but that's why backing up everything first is so important. Besides, once one of 'the big guns' steps in, they may know how to fix this issue short of 'nuking it and starting over'...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 03:31:39 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860
I have this issue on my older gateway as well. I changed screensaver / power options and no change.
However after I login, the screen is blank/black, If I close the laptop lid again and open it right away the screen returns to normal.
It doesn't bother me that much except at night, just one extra step to do.
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »

glin22

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core 2 duo

• VIDEO CARD: onboard VGA support
well JAS, I was just about to put up a request for help for my machine (eee pc 1000HE) until I saw your message. When I'd put the screen lid down, it would shut the thing off correctly but when I opened it back up, black screen and no control.

In my particular case, I went into the power manager and there were settings "When laptop lid is closed:", that was set to lock screen so that is why I couldn't do anything after I opened it back up. I just selected "Suspend" and now everything is ok.

This is with Linux lite 2.4

I don't know if this will help anyone or not but I wanted to put this up.

Glin22

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 10:12:48 AM »

jnektar

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium M 1.73 GHz

• MEMORY: 1Gb
My Dell D610 has got this issue after an upgrade to LL 2.4 from 2.2. I used to open lid and just press the esc button twice and I'd get the login. Now it black screens. Is there a way of going back a version? Meanwhile I fiddled round in power manager and using settings of on ac/hibernate and on battery/suspend I can press menu/logout/suspend and close lid. On opening it goes to login and I can log in no problem. This is with wall power permanently on. I never use the battery alone although there's one in with little charge holding ability.     

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 04:02:43 AM »

jas

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Ok, so the problem is still not solved. (I deleted the mark solved, and the best answer)

There is a definitively a relation between the memory and the waking up. but also with battery power and being plugged in or not.

I sometimes still have the black screen problem. Running low on battery, (around 10%) I had the black screen after logging in. Closing the lid, plugging the machine in on AC, opening the lid, logging in, all fine.
While unplugged, and having the black screen, and then plugging in, no success.

This morning, all night on suspend mode, I had no problem at all waking it up.

I was able to activate sys.log (Thanks for that thread). Is there any output I can post which can shine a light? (the whole sys.log is too private I believe)

Thanks!!

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section