Software - Support > Updates

Logon Loop after last update

<< < (2/2)

stevef:
I don't understand what is goofy.  That looks like you've logged on to the computer terminal as expected which is the starting point for fixing it.
There are a few ways forward.

Assuming you have some timeshift snapshots available and you didn't change anything significant in the timeshift set up you can simply restore your system to an earlier point.  This should get you a working system.  But it is possible you'll be in the same position again if it is the upgrade that caused the problem and we will need to try something different in that case.  If you do want to try just restoring the system to an earlier point skip to timeshift instructions below.

It might be worth trying a couple of diagnostic things now before restoring.  If these don't work, you can get back to the terminal as you've just done.

Firstly just try the command

--- Code: ---startx
--- End code ---
This will try to start the GUI on the computer.  This may just work but if it doesn't, record any error messages it generates.

Secondly check the log of the update which you think caused the problem.  Run the commands

--- Code: ---cd /var
--- End code ---

--- Code: ---cd log
--- End code ---

--- Code: ---ls -l | grep llupdate
--- End code ---

It should look someting like this

--- Quote --- stephen ~>cd /var
 stephen /var>cd log
 stephen /var/log>ls -l | grep llupdate
-rw-r--r--  1 root   root                404 Jun 10 05:14 llupdates.log
 stephen /var/log>
--- End quote ---

The 'ls' command should list the last update log file name.  If the file's date and time matches the time of your update when it all went wrong, then the command

--- Code: ---cat llupdates.log | more
--- End code ---
will show what the update was trying to do.  This may help in finding the cause.

I'm sure there'll be more to try, but it's getting late here and a lot depends on what you find if you run the commands above..

Timeshift Instructions

1) Make sure the timeshift archive is available - ie if you snapshot to a USB disk plug it in.
2) List available snapshots with

--- Code: ---sudo timeshift --list
--- End code ---
This should show you available snapshots with the date and time they were made. 
3) If you are happy with one of them enter

--- Code: ---sudo timeshift --restore
--- End code ---
This should list the available snapshots again and ask you which one to restore.  Follow the prompts accepting the defaults and recommendations.

Von Kirkus:
Something is goofy. After several attempts I can get to the terminal in photo. Keyboard works fine in Windows. What do you suggest I try from here? Any help appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UQpR4mdeSB9uXNyc8

Von Kirkus:

--- Quote from: stevef link=topic=8747.msg58519.1654849722 ---There was a recent new kernel for LL 5.x.  Do you recall if the update required a reboot ?

Instead of using the normal logon, press Alt Ctrl and F2 to get to a terminal logon.  Use your normal credentials to log on.  If this works, we can try to work out what to do next.

Do you have any recent timeshift snapshots ?

--- End quote ---
I don't think it did require a reboot, I should have some timeshifts if I can get logged in. Will try the terminal logon and update. Thanks for the info.

stevef:
There was a recent new kernel for LL 5.x.  Do you recall if the update required a reboot ?

Instead of using the normal logon, press Alt Ctrl and F2 to get to a terminal logon.  Use your normal credentials to log on.  If this works, we can try to work out what to do next.

Do you have any recent timeshift snapshots ?

Von Kirkus:
When I enter my password, (the correct one) at the logon screen, the Toshiba splash screen appears and then just loops back to the logon screen  :banghead I've tried rebooting into recovery mode and so forth, but it's not fixing it. How can I get this reconfigured?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version