You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

5.4 to 5.8 auto upgrade breaks nvidia

Author (Read 10952 times)

Re: 5.4 to 5.8 auto upgrade breaks nvidia
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 03:00:06 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall - that's the safest way to install any nVidia driver.

5.4 to 5.8 auto upgrade breaks nvidia
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 10:44:02 AM »

seasoned_geek

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: atom

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: n/a
Decided to set up LinuxLite on a BOINC machine yesterday. Had 5.4 disk so installed that. When installing I checked the box to install 3rd party drivers, etc. I applied my updates, and did everything else. Life was good. Checked from command line and Nvidia drivers installed.

The last button wanted me to upgrade to 5.8. Okay fine. After rebooting screen is locked at 640x480. The GUI for drivers has the "manually installed" radio button forced on and will allow no changes.
Had to fight my way to getting a terminal open.

Code: [Select]
lsmod | grep -i nvidiashows Nvidia driver still running but resolution is wrong and there are no nvidia applications installed to fix resolution. The Display GUI tool is also locked at 640x480 showing no other options.
Code: [Select]
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstallAfter reboot seems to have fixed it.
If the upgrade had removed whatever forces that "manual" radio button to be checked I could have fixed this from the GUI. None of your stuff is 640x480 friendly though.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section