You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

UEFI boot with LL 6.0

Author (Read 21635 times)

Re: UEFI boot with LL 6.0
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 03:39:09 PM »

timbuck2

• Patreon Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD64

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX1070

• Kernel: 5.x
Ok, got it working finally.  :045:

Here's what I think happened:

After installing LL from DVD, I selected to restart the system when prompted.  It started shutdown and the DVD tray opened as I expected.  Then it froze and didn't complete shutdown.  I had to power-off to get it to reboot.  I think something went wrong at that step since then when booting, it would stop at the blinking cursor.  Watching the boot messages it had an error with checksum on the casper image or something.  I think the install didn't finish right.

A point to note is that this happened twice so it wasn't a one time thing.  I think the install script had a problem with my system for some reason.

The way I got it to work was at the point when the install was done and it prompted to restart the system, I opened a terminal and issued "shutdown now".  After doing that the DVD tray opened *and* the screen didn't freeze. It cleared and printed the normal instruction "remove installation media the press ENTER" or something similar.  After removing the DVD and pressing enter the system shutdown normally.

After that I was able to set the boot for the UEFI: ubuntu and LL started up fine.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 08:27:32 AM »

timbuck2

• Patreon Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi, yes, I did change the boot order to load ubuntu in the uefi setup screen and it starts to load LL then stops at a blinking cursor.

In fact, I tried every boot order/option that was there one at a time.  Nothing works.

The only way at the moment to boot LL is to call the boot menu with F11 at poweron and select ubuntu option there.  Then LL boots ok.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 09:16:18 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@timbuck2

It can, Windows boot manager is still the default...
Some bios are different...
Go into the bios(F2 or So) at boot and change the boot order to Ubuntu.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 09:17:57 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

UEFI boot with LL 6.0
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 05:26:28 PM »

timbuck2

• Patreon Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I installed LL 6.0 on an old machine via DVD.  Apparently this mobo uses UEFI which I haven't used before.

After the install was done, booting the machine doesn't automatically start LL.  It just stops with a blinking cursor.  No other OS on the machine.

If I press F11 at boot for the boot menu, it doesn't show the grub menu I am used to but there is an option to boot Ubuntu.  If I select this, then LL will boot ok.

So my questions are why doesn't LL start automatically and how can I get the grub menu to display automatically at boot with this UEFI stuff?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 03:42:08 PM by timbuck2 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section