UEFI boot for Linux lite 5.0 RC1

Author (Read 1261 times)

UEFI boot for Linux lite 5.0 RC1
« on: April 28, 2020, 03:51:47 PM »

kat

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member

• Linux Lite: 2.8 64bit

• CPU: 800MHz cache size 256kb fpu (yes)

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA Corp. C67 Geforce 7150/nForce 630m
Hi,
I've been on here before requesting a UEFI boot for the new upcoming LTS 5.0 linux lite. You say the trial Linux lite 5.0 RC1 has a UEFI boot. I just downloaded it on a usb to try it out on my Acer Chromebook 15 CB5-571 that I had changed its bios firmware to clean install linux to. I have downloaded Linux Lite UEFI 4.2 and updated to 4.8 on my Chromebook. It is working well. I can't get this new trial Linux Lite 5.0 RC1 to boot. It just goes to "grub" screen saying something about tabbing to find commands. I can put the usb in another computer and see the files of the download. Is there something I'm supposed to do to make the UEFI boot work? Kind of a dummy here. Karen :)

Re: UEFI boot for Linux lite 5.0 RC1
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 07:04:21 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • Linux Lite OS

• Linux Lite: 3.8 64bit

• CPU: Intel Xeon Dual CPU's E5645 2.4GHz 12 Cores

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 4.x
How did you burn the ISO to your USB, what software did you use?

Re: UEFI boot for Linux lite 5.0 RC1
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 10:12:37 AM »

kat

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member

• Linux Lite: 2.8 64bit

• CPU: 800MHz cache size 256kb fpu (yes)

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA Corp. C67 Geforce 7150/nForce 630m
I downloaded the distro to my windows 10 machine and then used Universal USB Installer to put it on my usb. That worked when I put the Linux Lite 4.2 UEFI download on a usb. *BUT, I can download Linux-Lite 5.0 RC1 on my Chromebook that has Linux Lite and put it on a usb there. Do you think that would work better? I actually have used my Chromebook with Linux Lite, downloaded a Puppy Linux distro, and put it on a usb using commands in the terminal. Would that work or maybe use the "Disk" app to put it on a usb?

*UPDATE April 30th*

OMG! It worked! I downloaded the Linux-Lite 5.0 RC1 iso to my Chromebook that has Linux-Lite 4.8 and used this guy's instructions below, to put it on a usb via the terminal. I replaced my info for his in his example:
https://it.toolbox.com/blogs/jeffhoogland/howto-create-a-bootable-linux-media-using-the-dd-command-030915

The iso booted up nicely and I installed it over 4.8. It's beautiful! I downloaded Google Chrome from "Lite Software". It works beautiful. I went online and downloaded Minecraft. It downloaded nicely using GDEB. I'm pleased to see Gimp and VLC already installed. Everything looks great and is working well. Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 02:22:07 PM by kat

Tags:

Linux Lite 5.0 Final is now available for download and installation