You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Quick question

Author (Read 4873 times)

Re: Quick question
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 01:19:49 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Nothing make old equipment run like new quite like Linux does. I used LXPup the other day to turn a 15-year-old Compaq into something usable. I needed something that would run in RAM to get acceptable performance on it - startups and shutdowns notwithstanding...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 12:09:52 PM »

darrell derrick

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I keep/ made a boot able, USB stick with Gparted on it as a tool, also another with DBAN, they are So handy To have for troubleshooting any thing. Gets you enough info to decide if a drive is Salvageable, or worthless, junk. Drives are getting so cheap, the data is the only real value, to consider. BTW I am a newbie , but Junk is all I got.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860
Depends on your needs.  I have a 2GB USB drive with LinuxLite 2.4 installed on it,  and persistence so it remembers Wifi passwords as well as bookmarks.
It boots in about 10 seconds on a cheap drive on a Dell with i5 processor, 8gb ram. I actually love it on my work computer since I can watch Videos, etc without being logged
and it is portable. I use unetbootin, multisystem, and LinuxLiveUsb creator and all work just fine.
If you want anything lighter Puppy lucid is good, but the file manager and the way it works is different than what i'm used to, so i migrated away from it.
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 03:24:31 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Whatever is suitable for you.  I would think if you're looking to get an OS to be portable, Puppy Linux would be the way to go.  But I believe the intent for Linux Lite is primarily to be an installed desktop OS.  It sounds like you're on the rack track, though, for what you're after.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 02:22:31 AM »

Crazy Larry

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i3 - 2310M [email protected]

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia
 I really like LL and gonna use it from a usb thumb drive.  The problem of booting from the bios .....there is every option except for the one I need.  There is usb floppy...usb harddrive...usb zip...usb  and a couple more options....I've tried them all to no avail.
  Why not have a windows type installer?   Click on  Something Else  and have an option as to the drive you want to install like....A:  B:  C:  D:  E:  F:  G:  H:    Once the letter is selected...then ask  Use the entire disk or use a portion?     I want to install it to  F: [usb drive]
  All that linux  talk is hard for an old timer like me.  I've downloaded, burned ISOs, and tried them all out for a test run.  Linux Lite has them all beat.
  My hat's off to Jerry the creator...A job well done! 8)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:22:13 AM by Crazy Larry »
Writing a hit song or program..Not Easy!

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 12:16:11 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
If you go further into the install process, you'll come to a window where you can set up partitions.  Four screenshots into this link below, you'll see what I'm talking about.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#instllcomp

Sounds like you're getting the Live CD portion mixed with the actual installation of Linux Lite.  If you can still see the Install Linux Lite icon on the desktop, then you're in the Live CD (Live Media) portion.  It is the "try before you buy" option.  Anything you do there, will be erased when you reboot.  Once you click on the Install Linux Lite icon, then you're in the install process and the necessary files will be copied to and installed on your hard drive.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 03:43:38 AM »

Crazy Larry

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I've watched Matthew Moore video how to set up a dual boot about 5 times  but the problem is that I need gparted to work so that I can set up the volume on the usb.  But it won't load up because of administrative privilege.  I need it  but can't use it because it hasn't been installed yet.  I just bought a 32 GB usb 3 thumb drive to install  LL.  I've spent many hours over the last 2 days trying to set up the dual boot and I'm ready to get it going.
   Any ideas on how to get Gparted?  I downloaded an iso of it but it still won't work. :P
Thanks,
 Larry 

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:15:56 PM »

Shady

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core Duo T2300

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS
Yes, you first have to install LL  to the computer first to make changes like installing updates etc to be permanent.

When you run LL live off the usb for the first time, it's not installed yet. You can basically try it out first and test it out to see if you like it, but nothing is saved as soon as you restart the computer because it is not installed on to the computer yet.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:19:27 PM by Shady »

Quick question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 02:05:31 PM »

Crazy Larry

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I have the live LL on a usb stick.  Do I have to run  the installer  from inside LL to make it permanent?
Because I did all the updates, but booting back into the live usb stick, nothing was saved.  It was like starting all over again.
Thanks,
Larry

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section