You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Making help/advice more constructive

Author (Read 10092 times)

Re: Making help/advice more constructive
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 06:38:19 AM »

GordonT

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: pentium R Dual Core e5300 2.6ghz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: onboard
Thank you for your informative reply..   It really would be most helpful if authors / producers  gave a reference to the  distribution and version of Linux be it a book / article / video they are referring to making their info more effective to the learner if he or she could follow the lesson / examples step by step to the end. This would allow the info given to be like a road map to your destination and  for the learner not to end up in no-mans land as most often happens.

For a 100% sure, I am not here to criticize the authors of the books they write or the people that produce U tube videos.  I think they are fantastic.  Just feel that for their time and trouble these good people have taken to publish / produce the info in them they need to get great results and get a huge amount more satisfaction for their effort.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 06:50:10 PM »

tomg54

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2030 @ 3.00GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core

• Kernel: 4.x
Search youtube for Joe Collins.  Excellent advice for noobies to the experienced.  I noticed you are on LL 2.2.  LL 2.0 was responsible for me finally trashing Windows.  I went from 2.0 to 2.8, 3.0 to 3.8. one step at a time.  I was totally new to Linux.  Took a bit of research at the time but, it was time well spent.  Good luck.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 02:51:30 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Depending on Distro they will fall into the different Linux flavors...
Linux Lite as does Lixux Mint and others are Ubuntu derivatives. LL 4.0 is based on Ubuntu 18.04, LL3.x is based on Ubuntu 16.04...

Then versions like CentOS based on Red Hat (current version is 7) and different than Ubuntu. This should give a general idea.

For info a great place is these forums as is the manual.
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/

There are threads within the forum that have links to linux resources.
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Making help/advice more constructive
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »

GordonT

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: pentium R Dual Core e5300 2.6ghz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: onboard
Firstly !!  A great big thank you to all the people who give freely their time and expertise.  Not sure if I am missing the connection.  My problem is. Having installed many different versions of Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Suse  etc  and still ending up at the same place.  It is really great to have plenty of U Tube Linux tutorials  plus the number of Linux books to use as study guides. However I have not been able to pickup one book or watch one utube video  where the tutorial be it book or video coincides with the software i have installed on my pc..  Is there anyway to find out  what version of software these educators are using so that it will be possible to follow the entire offered material step by step ..   Any advise or help will be greatly appreciated   Thanks in advance

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section