You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installing a new LL in the same partition

Author (Read 9224 times)

Re: Installing a new LL in the same partition
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 01:34:47 PM »

dansar

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I was wrong about Mint Mate...LL took over that # that used to be Mate...Grub works fine..LL also installed as a primary instead of ext 4...I'm curious why LL took over LXLE,Peppermint and Mint mate but left Mint XFCE.  I'm glad it left the one Mint distro tho. Using the new LL I had made a few mistakes.  I'd get an error that LL could not fetch updates so I went through Synaptic and and clicked "Mark all upgrades".....LL almost finished upgrading and I get a pop up saying there are newer upgrade and do I want to keep the original or the new.  Well opted for new and then I read the help menu on updates and found out I should have said no.  I did fix the update issue tho.  I do not use the computer much except for the internet and a few games. Chromium and FF are working well.  Dan

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 11:53:10 AM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860
 ---- If you install LinuxLite on a partition with multiple distros, and plan on changing things in the future.....I would install grub/boot on the same partition you installed LinuxLite.
Then boot into another Linux OS, update grub. Use your other Linux OS GRUB as the primary booting partition.
Then set bios to boot from that disk/partition.
 LinuxLite should then be an option to select and boot without issues.
After doing that You could choose the LinuxLite partition to boot, however i have not come across this exact issue.
And your exact scenario on the hardware may be the challenge here. Are you using multiple HDD's ? Is everything on one HDD with multiple partitions, or a mix of both ?

I have LinuxMint installed and use it's grub to be able to boot into both LL installs without issue.
(Installed 2 LL partitions and can not boot from the each other --But boot independently fine)

It seems to be a grub issue, but i am not certain. I can however boot ANY other OS when LL finds them If LinuxLite grub is left intact/control. This is very strange, seems there is some kind of customization in grub that LL developers use. Any fix for this ?   I may try to fiddle about with grub, manual installing, build from scratch. Not sure it is worth my time, or if it will break something unbeknownst to me.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:03:41 PM by technomancer »
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 10:01:06 AM »

dansar

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I did try the something else option...but got stuck at " no root " etc .I could not figure out how to get past that. Dan

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 10:17:52 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Probably should of chose the something else option, then specified the partition.. but maybe for next time.

Sounds like grub may need updated?? though with LL being last to be installed it should of found them..

You can try updating grub via the terminal..
Code: [Select]
sudo update-grub Then reboot

If still not, it maybe dependant where grub got installed or require other intervention..
Try searching grub from the main page..

There are many that know more than I do, just give them a bit to respond..
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 07:01:22 PM »

dansar

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
OUCH!!...what a disaster..LOL ???..SO...I deleted LL and chose " install along side"....Never gave me an option where to install or size the partition. The installer deleted LXLE and  Peppermint. The bootloader only shows Vista and MintXfce altho Gparted shows Mint mate partition still there. Oh Well...such is life but on a good note.. did get the brightness control working.. ::)

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 04:52:33 PM »

dansar

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
ok ..I got to the partitioning part....clicked on LL partition....click install and I get something like "no root" etc. HA!  lost again.. >:(

Installing a new LL in the same partition
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:43:06 PM »

dansar

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi..I want to reinstall LL .  I dual boot Windows Vista,Lite,Mint Mate,Mint Xfce,LXLE and Peppermint. Id like to install LL in the partition LL is occupying. I have done a search and could not find a tutorial. I can follow instructions but some of the terms experts use lose me. I have installed these distros along side Vista but never replaced a distro in the same partition. Any help would be much appreciated.  Dan

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section