You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

How to Install Free Sophos-av

Author (Read 10080 times)

Re: How to Install Free Sophos-av
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 07:31:14 PM »

Kyle

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600

• MEMORY: 4Gb
Run Clam-av or nothing if your all that confident. I am not here to argue about which is the best and safest av. I was just trying to be helpful. Linux can get maleware and a Google search of experts much more knowledgeable than I will confirm the risks but as you said Linux gives you the freedom to do it your way.

I never said Linux couldn't get malware and my intentions are not to argue with you. I am simply stating the facts that Linux is generally safe if you only download applications from the Ubuntu software center. On most occasions, it is the users fault for getting a virus. Always research the software you are looking to use before downloading it, it is simple as that. You could always use VirusTotal if the file is 128MB or under in size.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 05:17:10 PM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb
Kyle
That is a big promise by Sophos to protect from that much known malware. Honestly, how can we really know that if the program is proprietary? We simply cannot, and while I agree with you that ClamAV doesn't detect a virus/malware as soon as it is introduced to the system, you can always scan each file you download. Personally, I only download files that in some type of video format (mostly .mp4, .mp3, .avi, etc.) so these things pose little risk. Linux, for the most part is secure. As long as you watch what you download apart from programs from the PPA's you will usually encounter no issues. Also, I know many of us Linux lovers enjoy open-source presence in our systems so that's why I recommend ClamAV/ClamTk. Some are migrating from Windows because of all the nasty tricks they are playing against their own customers and are finally wanting to regain their freedom and they see open-source programs as a way to do so.

Run Clam-av or nothing if your all that confident. I am not here to argue about which is the best and safest av. I was just trying to be helpful. Linux can get maleware and a Google search of experts much more knowledgeable than I will confirm the risks but as you said Linux gives you the freedom to do it your way. 

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 09:56:58 AM »

Kyle

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Kyle
The problem with Clam-av is it does not prevent maleware before it gets into your system where as sophos does protect it from at least 11 million some hundred thousand known maleware. If LL is running on Ubuntu 16.04 there should be already an anti-virus and firewall built in, at least according to their website which comes with it.
Secure 16.04

"With a built-in firewall and virus protection software, Ubuntu is one of the most secure operating systems around. And the long-term support releases give you five years of security patches and updates."

Secure Boot which comes with HP`s that have Windows mounted on the newer systems is supposed to protect from Boot Kits which can be particularly difficult to detect and remove and can take control of your computer without you ever even knowing. All Microsoft desktops and and laptops with Windows 8 or later must be equipped with Secure Boot. On mine I can switch from Secure Boot to Legacy. Problem is it is a pain to work around adding Secure Boot back in. For most larger Linux Distros it is not a big deal as they have keys recognized by the UEFI so booting is not a problem. Smaller Distros do not generally have a recognized key and won`t boot into a UEFI system without a workaround. Linux has become quite popular around the world and has recently attracted the attention of hackers as recently demonstrated on Mint and Soft pedia.
My system 4xIntel(R) Core(TM) i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70 GHz UEFI .I am retired with no need and no desire to dual boot. Like things simple and easy, Life`s hard enough with enough complex problems and complications of it`s own without making more for myself.

That is a big promise by Sophos to protect from that much known malware. Honestly, how can we really know that if the program is proprietary? We simply cannot, and while I agree with you that ClamAV doesn't detect a virus/malware as soon as it is introduced to the system, you can always scan each file you download. Personally, I only download files that in some type of video format (mostly .mp4, .mp3, .avi, etc.) so these things pose little risk. Linux, for the most part is secure. As long as you watch what you download apart from programs from the PPA's you will usually encounter no issues. Also, I know many of us Linux lovers enjoy open-source presence in our systems so that's why I recommend ClamAV/ClamTk. Some are migrating from Windows because of all the nasty tricks they are playing against their own customers and are finally wanting to regain their freedom and they see open-source programs as a way to do so.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 06:44:27 PM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

Kyle
The problem with Clam-av is it does not prevent maleware before it gets into your system where as sophos does protect it from at least 11 million some hundred thousand known maleware. If LL is running on Ubuntu 16.04 there should be already an anti-virus and firewall built in, at least according to their website which comes with it.
Secure 16.04

"With a built-in firewall and virus protection software, Ubuntu is one of the most secure operating systems around. And the long-term support releases give you five years of security patches and updates."

Secure Boot which comes with HP`s that have Windows mounted on the newer systems is supposed to protect from Boot Kits which can be particularly difficult to detect and remove and can take control of your computer without you ever even knowing. All Microsoft desktops and and laptops with Windows 8 or later must be equipped with Secure Boot. On mine I can switch from Secure Boot to Legacy. Problem is it is a pain to work around adding Secure Boot back in. For most larger Linux Distros it is not a big deal as they have keys recognized by the UEFI so booting is not a problem. Smaller Distros do not generally have a recognized key and won`t boot into a UEFI system without a workaround. Linux has become quite popular around the world and has recently attracted the attention of hackers as recently demonstrated on Mint and Soft pedia.
My system 4xIntel(R) Core(TM) i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70 GHz UEFI .I am retired with no need and no desire to dual boot. Like things simple and easy, Life`s hard enough with enough complex problems and complications of it`s own without making more for myself. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:53:09 AM by tomt »

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 10:56:22 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Clam-Av, we ran a trial here a not so long ago. The rest have cumbersome license agreements, install steps etc.

Try to add ClamTk instead (it will install all dependencies needed including ClamAV) but it would be more user friendly then working with the terminal.
We did.  Search the Forums for the discussion.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 10:51:57 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

I am no fan of cumbersome heuristic security devices, and in truth most are unreliable for medium size networks, but if I had to pick one of the better ones, Kaspersky end point is probably the best, only because it is the most current, but it is expensive and highly proprietary. Most malware and viruses can be avoided in Linux systems, with proper application hierarchies, spot encryptions, and modular packaging of network applications. Good educational documentation on home network use could instruct most users well enough to protect their systems. I can honestly say that nothing can get could through to my Debian adm. system on the networks I manage except through some bad praxis, but since I am the only adm. that never happens. But I mix software, using slack net tool modules to protect the Deb adm cores. UEFI is a problem now, on newer systems, and in my opinion is just a ploy to keep linux off certain machines. Really as far as Debian goes, it just creates another block to protect, the actual opposite of its promoted purpose. Anti-virus is not a solution. As far as home computer use, I would rather see Mozilla move forward into a completely modular self contained kernel application. System isolation through modularity and spot encryption is the only safe way to go. The next big ransom ware incident is certainly on the horizon, and I predict that it will be UEFI related. Proprietary software is a virus itself. It is the same principle at work as anti-gun laws. If no one can have a gun, criminals will still have guns. If software is proprietary, criminals will still steal it and use it against people who paid for it. Intel needs to go completely open source now, or we are heading for big problems. The best protection for any computing technology is complete transparency, and proper spot encryption. Sorry for preaching to the choir. Happy Father's Day. You don't need an anti-virus scanner bundled into your OS. I suggest you bundle in a fake one, if you want to make windows converts more comfortable, and make it work really fast so it impresses them with its speed. Give it a sexy woman's voice, and a name like Cortana.
Trinidad     
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 10:05:51 AM »

Kyle

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Clam-Av, we ran a trial here a not so long ago. The rest have cumbersome license agreements, install steps etc.

Try to add ClamTk instead (it will install all dependencies needed including ClamAV) but it would be more user friendly then working with the terminal.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 10:01:24 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 09:56:02 AM »

Kyle

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I'd actually like to provide a package for anti-virus on Linux Lite but none of the vendors make it easy, unfortunately.

Which ones have you tried to add?

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 09:49:50 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

I'd actually like to provide a package for anti-virus on Linux Lite but none of the vendors make it easy, unfortunately.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 09:36:42 AM »

Kyle

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

What's wrong with ClamTk? It's easier to install and is open-source and is better designed for Unix/Linux machines.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 03:57:46 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
lol
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

How to Install Free Sophos-av
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

A little bit of time and patience will give you a free anti virus that will run in the background and can be updated and you can run scans daily or whenever and it prevents malware before it can damage your system.

Download from Internet "Free Sophos-av for Linux" and save file. Extract file to downloads.

Start here and follow directions 

After Installation is complete use this to update and scan and or remove the Sophos if you don't want it.

https://community.sophos.com/products/server-protection-integration/f/21/t/73353

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section