You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installing Fedora-Workstation-26 in VirtualBox on LL

Author (Read 15056 times)

Re: Installing Fedora-Workstation-26 in VirtualBox on LL
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 11:09:51 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Thanks :) , I will try clicking the windows border and typing next time before it captures it.

Whilst searching about it I seen a thread on Ubuntu forums -
a person was explaining the same happened and right Ctrl wasn't working.
One reply said to close full screen then try.
He then told how it was NOT funny and he needed to get out of it now........... :o
...that after trying windows 7 in VB he felt like a prisoner on his own computer.
Other replies came , saying to use the VB menus and change the preferences, others said to use the Host menu to restart the computer.

I was surprised that nobody seemed to realize he was "trapped in the window of windows".
I checked the navigation to see if it was the joke thread or something similar, it wasn't, and it wasn't solved.
To add to it, those saying to use the preferences were further replying with -
" I just dont understand this....never heard of it before"

All I thought was why cant they see he is "trapped in the window of windows" he can't get to the menus, he is a prisoner .. in windows.

It was the most odd thread I have seen, it could be a movie, "Mr.Robot and the window of windows", and he has to try and escape, because apple are emptying his bank account as a deposit for a pencil, .. and at the end when he overcomes the window of windows a new society emerges called LIYF
(an alphabet..ical upgrade of GIYF).

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 09:45:32 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
No its not Saturday lol ;D ;D
I've had the vm capture tbe mouse, its done it a few times on various os's.. The 'home' key i think they call it release as you found the  ctrl key on the right side of the keyboard..

If you click the window border and type it should respond and not capture the mouse..

Have fun  ;D
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:04:53 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

I have installed CentOS7 in VB now, I know its not Saturday lol.
It didn't need the steps of detaching the drive, it done this itself.

I had a small issue of the mouse being trapped in the window so unable to use VB controls at all, and not being able to move the sliders of VB to move the page up or down to click buttons at the top or bottom of the page during install.
I found an answer for this in a search quite quickly, click the right Ctrl key on the keyboard it detaches the mouse pointer, so there are 2 pointers, you can then take the one outside the window and move the page slider, to rejoin them you move the one pointer on top of the other and click the left mouse button and they rejoin to use inside the window.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 06:33:24 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

@firenice03  Thank You :) .  I'll d/l the DVD iso now then so I have it ready. I'll be running it in VB too.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 06:23:49 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@bitsnpcs  I run it as a core/minimal, with no GUI.. Mimics my work set up and forces me to use it the same way using terminal... I believe it has a DE option in which gnome sounds right..

Looking - the DVD iso option would be the best.. (I believe the install will prompt for GUI/DE)
https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7#head-76148df6f2cc6a03ab2ceaa23204ace3e2acbfb9
If you are unsure which image to use, pick the DVD image. It allows selecting which components you want to install and contains all packages that can be selected from the GUI installer. The 'Everything' DVD is almost twice the size of the ordinary DVD and is not required for most common installs - it is intended for use by sysadmins who want to run their own local mirror.

Mine are running in a VB VM, so no issues there :)
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 05:50:59 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Thank You :)
Is it Gnome default desktop ?  I am not confident to attempt to change DE.
If so I will try CentOS too.
Which would be best for a VirtualBox install the, dvd ISO, or Everything ISO ?
Will I need to do the same to install CentOS ?
I will have a try Saturday

My first look at the Gnome deskop, it looks nice.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 05:35:14 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Another option is CentOS is supposed to be a really close 2nd to Red Hat - I use CentOS for a DEV environment for a work application that runs on Red Hat

Installing Fedora-Workstation-26 in VirtualBox on LL
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 04:50:40 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello,

I wanted to install Fedora-Workstation-26 in VB to follow the Linux Bible book as it uses Fedora, or Red Hat Enterprise, also Ubuntu Gnome to a lesser degree, plus it is changing.
It left Fedora as the free option.
Also I wanted to see and try the Gnome desktop.
I had difficulty to get this working, after some searches I read articles and tutorials that said things such as -
- it cannot be used in VirtualBox as a machine version has not been released yet.
- you need to d/l the live ISO and burn it to a dvd, then use this to install to VirtualBox to get it to work.
- you need to use it as a Live dvd
- tutorials for older version of Fedora I tried and all failed to install it.

I knew the idea of the live ISO not being possible to install to VirtualBox to be wrong, as with a lot of help from @firenice03 on this forum we both installed the Raspberry PI Live iso months early in VB on LL.

Here is how I done it, similar to Pi (Pixel) the changes begin at 3. below.

Install the virtual machine as per the LL manual.
I used settings of 8GB Ram 20GB space.

create the machine, then highlight and click settings.
click position #1 like on image
click position #2 like on image
click the down arrow like position #3 on image and select your downloaded iso location.
click okay

1. Click start to install machine.
2. when install is completed, look to the top of VirtualBox for the "Devices Tab", click and look for "disconnect drive". Dont click it yet.
3&4. Click FedoraWorkstation-26 desktop menu and select to reboot Fedora. Whilst it begins to reboot click Devices then click to untick and disconnect drive/mounted ISO.
5. on reboot it will ask for a few more choices. Complete these and then shut down Fedora virtual machine.
6. the storage area for the fedora machine should look like the image below.

Notes.
1. Not disconnecting the devices meant the Live iso on each starting of the Fedora machine began a LIVE iso session with the option to install... all over again. (similar to Pi)

2. Pressing to disconnect the devices (virtual drive for mounted Live ISO) before clicking to restart Fedora corrupted the Fedora install (the messages were the hard drive is corrupted) , and it crashed every time on boot up, after those install tries.

3. After some weeks of trying, I found this way by searching "how to disconnect live iso in VB" and similar phrases.

Summary
After using the above method I had zero issues to install Fedora-Workstation-26 in VirtualBox on the first try of this method, on Linux Lite.
I have deleted it and reinstalled using the same method a few times to check it worked each time, it did.

It might be useful for anyone installing it, or if they face a similar problem in VirtualBox with another distro.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 04:54:15 PM by bitsnpcs »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section