You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Windows 7 switching

Author (Read 6377 times)

Re: Windows 7 switching
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 10:43:26 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

• Kernel: 5.x
Before switching I bought myself a cheap second hand laptop and put linux lite on that.  I used that to get fully comfortable  with the interface.  I also used the laptop with my existing other hardware to check that everything worked.  Unfortunately my scanner did not have linux drivers. I therefore asked the  LL forum for their suggestions and purchased a second hand different scanner  which worked fine.
I also loaded some of the software such as libre office, Gimp, Thunderbird etc as their windows equivalents on my existing windows machine and used them there until I was familiar and comfortable with them.
Then, as said above, I backed up all my folders/file onto an external hard drive so nothing essential would be lost.

Then  after about six months or so testing/learning I made the switch on my main pc to LL and have never looked back.

As an aside, The old laptop I have recently wiped clean, installed windows 7 and LL side by side as dual boot.  I allocated only about 30 Gb HDD space to the Win 7 and the remainder (50 Gb ) to LL.  I did this so that I could update my satnav data ; the latter only can be done on a Windows machine.  I use the old laptop now for my photo cloud manager and social media viewing.

Hope this helps.  I was very nervous/hesitant about changing to linux but Linux Lite and this forum made all the difference and I have never looked back.  Hope this helps.

Just as an afterthought, Install the LL on an external hard drive, and boot up your main pc using that external hard drive.  Saves buying an old laptop  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:19:02 PM by newtusmaximus »
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

Re: Windows 7 switching
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 07:32:39 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello Lite-web,

firstly before switching you should back up your personal data to an external device/media, then it is safe and wont be lost when you wipe your hard drive.

Here are the screenshots from the main website of Linux Lite - https://www.linuxliteos.com/screenshots/

Here are the features from the main website of Linux Lite - https://www.linuxliteos.com/features.html

Linux Lite is very adaptable and you can change the default theme to a way you prefer.

Here are some example members have done - https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/screenshots/

Here are some example of customizations members have done - https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/desktop-customization/

Windows 7 switching
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 08:32:58 PM »

Lite-web

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello! I plan to leave Windows 7 Professional ASAP and I 'd need Linux Lite will be build for those who need these switchings and therefore need to find every feature in Linux Lite.
Maybe a interface theme or directly a only standalone look.
This will get me calm since I won't lose anything in the switching.
Thx in advance!  ;)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section