You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Welcome Screen typos

Author (Read 2036 times)

Re: Welcome Screen typos
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 06:27:50 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Thanks Carney, those edits will be in the next version.

Welcome Screen typos
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 10:49:11 AM »

Carney

• New to Forums
  • Cub Linux user; put LL 3.2 on wife's PC
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i3

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GEFORCE
The first sentence in the second paragraph of the Welcome Screen text has some errors, mainly in punctuation.

Currently it reads:

"Linux Lite aims to provide each user with a basic collection of everyday tools, a web browser, email client, media player an Office suite an image editor and so on."

It should read:

"Linux Lite aims to provide each user with a basic collection of everyday tools: a web browser, an email client, a media player, an office suite, an image editor, and so on."

The most important changes are the colon after "tools" (signifying a list to follow), the addition of a comma after "media player", and adding consistency to the issue of whether to have an indefinite article ("a" /  "an") in front of each list item.

A bit more debatable is the question of whether to capitalize the word "office" - in the replacement text I provide above I removed it because the phrase "office suite" is not a proper noun the way "Microsoft Office" or "GNOME Office" is.  (LibreOffice is not a phrase, just a single word in camelcase.) 

More debatable (and in fact divisive among grammar nerds) is the issue of the serial comma: whether to have a comma after the second-to-last item in a list of three or more; the item just before the "and" (or sometimes "or").  The majority of official style guides (including MLA, Chicago Manual of Style, Strunk & White, and APA) say to include that comma, so I added it in my replacement text above (where it comes after "image editor").

While I can post suggestions, I don't know how actually to fix the Welcome Screen text myself, so I invite and request whoever can to do so.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section