You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Suggestion about grub

Author (Read 21317 times)

Re: Suggestion about grub
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 08:36:46 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

• Kernel: 5.x
Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder how many people are actually dual booting vs single boot.

Hi, Jerry! :)
It is very difficult to know. Afterall, Linux Lite aims, among others, to help people moving from Win to Linux, in an agreeable manner.
As for me, I had Linux in dual boot with Win 98SE... Win 7, for some 10 years... :)

I'm worried about including a powerful tool like this as part of the system because it's so easy to mess up your installation.

I totally agree!

In fact, I've been using Daniel Richter's GRUB Customizer and I found it interesting, mostly when I wanted multiboot configuration. At some point in time, I tested lots of distros so I made use of multiboot. GRUB Customizer proved useful.
It is risky though, even if you're familiar with low-level backups. If something breaks, it takes time to restore everything. And you have to know well enough what you're doing...
There is a solution though: Boot-Repair-Disk. I used it many times when I was distro-hopping and it proved to be reliable.
Still, even with this kind of practice, I am very reluctant to the idea of including such a powerful tool in the default ISO.
Friyng a storage, is the last thing one would like to get to...

So, as I see it, if anyone wants to tinker with that, there are other ways to do it, without the need to have such tools included in the ISO. Maybe it would worth mentioning the available software in a section of the LL manual, which I find enough help on this matter.

Some people will get curious and tinker with it even if they don't need to. I'd seriously consider adding this tool to Lite Software to make it optional.

This sounds far better than making it available through Control Panel!
Freedom of choice will be respected, but included as a default option, might lead to endless suport hours on the forums. I hate to say this, but I know how things turn out in such cases.
Here is a sample:
The PPA crashes (The Update issue).
I think there are at least a couple of hundred posts on the very same subject. I sometime answer myself to some. Still, there is a section in the LL Manual that explains how to deal with PPAs. Yet... :(

Best regards! :)

"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 12:30:34 PM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel celeron 900 @ 2.20 GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

As a new Linux user and one who dual boots Windows 7 home premium and Linux Lite 5.8 on a Compaq Presario CQ56 that is 11 years old I have zero problems with the grub menu.  The boot time from hitting restart in Windows to Linux Lite is 2:56, start up into Linux Lite is 1:30 but this just might be my machine and the age as I really have nothing to compare it to.  I am very used to the menu now and I like how it works, and it worked right from the download of Linux Lite 5.4 to install.  I appreciate all of the hard work that goes into Linux Lite to make it easy for those like me to keep using my favorite laptop for as long as I can, I use Linux Lite for almost everything I do everyday and find it disappointing when I have to use Windows as it is so slow compared to LL. 

Thanks to all
God Bless Texas
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 07:55:11 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

I wonder how many people are actually dual booting vs single boot
Probably a substantial percentage of the people still using Windows 7.
As far as any tool it should be limited to: name changing to Linux Lite, which system boots first, hide or show grub. Going beyond that would definitely lead to minor and major problems for new uninitiated users. 
TC
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 08:01:48 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 10:26:21 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

My thoughts....

Choose between "Ubuntu" Windows and any other Linux system in a dual/triple boot or more???
- Something to set the name to Linux Lite?? ?

OR is it more.. grub being displayed anyway .. Maybe a 'Grub Duration Selector' say a 0 for none or 5 seconds or preferred??
Setting to 0 would bypass all together and if needed it could be reset to something longer for a subsequent boot should grub need to be accessed....
- This would work for both Dual booted and LL primary ...
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 08:01:13 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder how many people are actually dual booting vs single boot. I'm worried about including a powerful tool like this as part of the system because it's so easy to mess up your installation. Some people will get curious and tinker with it even if they don't need to. I'd seriously consider adding this tool to Lite Software to make it optional.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

Suggestion about grub
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 07:45:35 PM »

leandrocm86

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
As a non-advanced linux user, I always miss an easy grub editing tool out-of-the-box.
Think about it: grub is the first thing we see after installing linux. And in this very first contact, even in Linux Lite, we have to choose between "Ubuntu", "Windows" and other weird options.
And it's not just in the first contact. This is what is shown every single time we turn on the computer.
I know there are already some GUI tools to edit grub available, so why not make use of them as an option on the Control Panel?
A regular "windows user" has never heard about grub, and wouldn't know how to find those tools. Plus, when we google "grub edit", many of the first results are non-friendly command-line instructions.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section