You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

A few thoughts on 6.0

Author (Read 56949 times)

Re: A few thoughts on 6.0
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 08:42:28 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

• Kernel: 5.x
LOL it does probably take too long in Synaptic if you're used to the terminal anyway.

"Used to"?! I nearly hate it! That's why I wrote the above script! Do it once, use it many! :D :D :D

But Linux Lite is for people who are either not accustomed to the terminal or people like me who are scared to death of the dreaded ▄︻デȶɛʀʍɨռǟʟ═══━一.

I love that! :D
Being "accustomed" with the terminal NOW? Assuming that I was a network manager, OK, I give you that. But I'm a "home user". I never bothered even to test drive a home network!
...Well, I did it once, long time ago, when I bought Win 200 Pro. And this was that!
So, why bother now?
Theoretically, many things are available now, under (any) Linux. Still... Jerry says:
"If it works, why change?"
And I agree with that! (Am I a dinosaur? Maybe...)

I just "know" that mistyping a single character in a command can ignite the atmosphere and destroy all life on Earth. It's one of the reasons I use Linux Lite!

That's the main reason why I avoid it! There is a workaround though: an ASCII (.txt) file. Then Copy/Paste into terminal. But still... :(

It's funny, now. I didn't like it when Linux Lite shipped with added PPAs and I said so in this forum. Now here I am eating those words, recommending pre-installed PPAs for some apps. Mainly because I'm one of those anti-Google guys that despises Google Chrome and other Google features that I consider "spyware."

Well, you can change the script above, something like that:

Code: [Select]
echo "============================================================"
echo "Remove the ugly Chrome!"
sudo apt remove google-chrome-stable
echo "Ugly removed!"

You can place the snippet at the beginning of the file, below the lines

#!/bin/bash
#

Something like this:

#!/bin/bash
#
echo "Remove the ugly Chrome!"
sudo apt remove google-chrome-stable -y
echo "Ugly removed!"

Then, add the PPAs like shown above. And that's it! You're up and running.
Given the fact that you'll use the script only when performing a clean install (about two years frequency...), I guess it goes nice!

Best regards! :)
"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 08:01:02 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

LOL it does probably take too long in Synaptic if you're used to the terminal anyway. But Linux Lite is for people who are either not accustomed to the terminal or people like me who are scared to death of the dreaded ▄︻デȶɛʀʍɨռǟʟ═══━一.

I just "know" that mistyping a single character in a command can ignite the atmosphere and destroy all life on Earth. It's one of the reasons I use Linux Lite!

It's funny, now. I didn't like it when Linux Lite shipped with added PPAs and I said so in this forum. Now here I am eating those words, recommending pre-installed PPAs for some apps. Mainly because I'm one of those anti-Google guys that despises Google Chrome and other Google features that I consider "spyware."

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 07:27:20 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

Some of us non-newbies prefer PPAs to snaps or even Flatpaks. Perhaps in future releases, a few PPAs (like ubuntuzilla) could be included and enabled so users can get Firefox, Seamonkey, etc from Synaptic would be cool.

Hi! :)

Various people, use various apps. Including certain PPAs over others, would lead to an endless debate.
I use the following code to add my PPAs:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Adding Tony George's repo for UKUU, TimeShift, Aptik Migration Tool, battery, Conky Manager, etc.:
echo "Adding Tony George.s repo for UKUU, TimeShift, Aptik Migration Tool, battery, etc...."
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa -y
echo "Done!"

# Adding repo for Martin Baert's SimpleScreenRecorder:
echo "Adding repo for Martin Baert.s SimpleScreenRecorder..."
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder -y
echo "Done!"
# Adding repo for OpenShot 1.4.3 and OpenShot 2.x.
echo "Adding repo for OpenShot 1.4.3..."
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openshot.developers/ppa -y
echo "Adding repo for OpenShot 2.x..."
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openshot.developers/libopenshot-daily -y
echo "              Updating Repository Information..."
echo ""
sudo apt-get update
echo ""
echo "Done!"
sudo apt install {list of apps, space separated}
echo "Done!"

This way, you can speed up the adding of the PPAs, using the CLI. I used Synaptic before, but it takes too long.
Now, assuming that you saved the script as "AddPPAs.sh" in /home/yourhomename, you go to terminal and launch the following (this is a sample!):
Remember to change the file attributes to "executable" (775) before invoking the command.

sudo /home/yourhomename/AddPPAs.sh
It will take somewhere around one minute or so.

I wrote this script because it annoyed me to do this line by line on CLI and then install custom apps manually with Synaptic. So I tested the script to do all in one single CLI command line. The full script, installs about 80 apps of my choice so, it saves me from a lot of stress. ;)

So, if you want to change it accordingly, do so and test it. I use it mostly on fresh installs (like when LL 6.0 was released).

Best regards! :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 08:37:51 AM by Şerban S. »
Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 06:22:20 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

Some of us non-newbies prefer PPAs to snaps or even Flatpaks. Perhaps in future releases, a few PPAs (like ubuntuzilla) could be included and enabled so users can get Firefox, Seamonkey, etc from Synaptic would be cool.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 05:17:40 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

Hi, everybody! :)

From my perspective, one of the best steps forward, is the memory management.
While the previous versions (5.x, all) used about 1300 MB of residual RAM after about 5 hours of uptime and heavy (Chrome) browsing, the current, uses somewhere between 900 MB and 1100 MB, after closing Chrome or Chromium, FireFox, for that matter.
The number of running apps, after closing the browser, is low usually: Task Manager, Pluma (2 - 3 docs opened), LibreOffice (2 - 3 docs opened), DoubleCommander, being the usual list.
Now, considering the worst value (1100 MB), the gain of cca. 200 MB means something to me!
I know that nowadays RAM is less of a problem (I have 16 GB), but if you want the best amount of RAM available for apps, this is something very important.

On the other hand, the "flagship" of this distro, is "Lite". And this is something LL 6.0 proves undoubtly!
Many people can use a "state of the art" distro like Linux Lite, on a pretty old machine.
I can use it on a really "low resources" machine: ASUS X200M, which is quite very modest in resources. A Dual Core Celeron (N2830), with 2 GB of onboard RAM, which is a netbook, suitable for someone that moves a lot.
Now, the 200 MB RAM gain, I guess makes more sense, given the fact that this machine, has actually less than 1800 MB of RAM available (some 32 - 250 MB are dynamically allocated for video).
Far more than that, I far as I could see from the posts, many members here, setup Linux Lite on old machines, for various purposes.
While many distros get "fat", Linux Lite, stays Lite, while moving forward and staying up-to-date! :D

Best wishes! :)
Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 05:34:47 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

I do not see problem with Firefox on 6.0, also looks like snapd is quite light, and memory loss is not existent. So better to remove google chrome, and install Firefox if you want privacy. Also that way you support different browser engine, so we have competition.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
Download, extract, integrate to your system, done! You have Firefox now. :)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 03:45:04 AM »

Mountain Giant

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I do not see problem with Firefox on 6.0, also looks like snapd is quite light, and memory loss is not existent. So better to remove google chrome, and install Firefox if you want privacy. Also that way you support different browser engine, so we have competition.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 02:46:19 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Thanks as always TC :)

1) Made it just for you...

2) A job for someone else.

3) Personal taste, not something I'm into.

4) Not something I've changed.

5) Cheers!

A few thoughts on 6.0
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 09:37:32 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

1) This version is by far the prettiest yet. The default wallpaper is beautiful. I would like an optional version of that wallpaper without the yellow feather, just the gray shadow feather edges. When you run the widget with the background feather logo it's just too much of the yellow feather on the desktop. I think it would look quite nice then with just the widget feather.

2) I would like to see a discussion here by some of the experts on replacing Chrome with MS Edge with all the proper steps concerning updates, dependencies, etc. so that new users would have access as to what to do to remove Chrome completely and use MS Edge or even Edge dev instead without causing issues later on with their system and updates. 

3) The same goes for Thunderbird. On the subject of mail it's worth noting that the ncurses installer for system mail did not function correctly in the XFCE terminal in the 5.0 series but I haven't tried it yet on 6.0.

4) I noticed that Thunar uses normal yellow warning stripe about root, but when you open a file with root with mousepad it uses the default Debian pink color for the warning stripe. I'm sure it's just an XFCE oddity someone missed.
5) I'm going to thoroughly use this system as time goes on and look for quirks because I think it is the best one so far.

TC

« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 09:39:29 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section