You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Some suggestions for Linux Lite 6.0 coming in June...

Author (Read 6500 times)

Re: Some suggestions for Linux Lite 6.0 coming in June...
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 10:14:57 AM »

colin.p

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core Duo

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: On board Intel GPU

• Kernel: 5.x
It's still a couple months away, but there are some suggestions I'd like to submit.
Second, can you add a "Lock Screen" option so that it automatically locks the screen when we close laptop lids? If there's already an option for it, it must not work because I spent almost 30 minutes testing every option for lid behaviors. Most of them just locked the screen to the point where I can't do anything when I open the lid back up (only the cursor responds; nothing else) and I have to restart the entire computer 7 out of 10 times. Definitely very inconsistent and buggy. And when I press the "Lock" F9 button, it won't lock until I press something again. Weird... It would just be nice to have it automatically lock and go to the login screen when we close the laptop lid.

Interestingly, using LL on the original 320GB HDD (with 300+ bad blocks) on an ancient Toshiba laptop, suspend was not a problem and always worked even when I experimented with several different distros. Where it became an issue, was when I switched out my "soon to fail?" HDD for an (ahem) affordable Kingston 2.5" SSD. I have absolutely no logical explanation as to why a change to an SSD would "break" power management but it did, or at least in the example of my old (throw away) Toshiba laptop.

I tried Linux Lite, Debian 11, Zorin, as well as Linux Mint, and suspend as well as the seeming inability to wake from suspend (as you referenced above) all gave me the same lid opening irritants, not to mention runaway rise of heat as the fans didn't wake up either (hence the idea it's a suspend problem). However, I preferred the simplicity of use and ease of setup in Linux Lite and the other distros will have to wait for another day.

At the moment, I just treat this laptop like a desktop and only have the screen shut off on closing the lid. It's somewhat reassuring that at least one other person has sort of the same laptop issues on probably well over a decade difference in age of laptops.

Nice to know I'm not completely "mad" or at least not in this case.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 08:05:33 PM »

bernard stafford

• KoFi Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb

That would be great. Have something like Linux Lite minimal install.
I really do not use Office or some of the other things on my desktop.
Awesome Idea
launchpad.net <- 
debian.org <-
GitHub.com <-
kde.org <-
I stay busy with LINUX,
Together we are LINUX...!

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 06:50:18 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

Has been talked about in the past.  a super light LITE, either as a download option, or as tweak option.  Thanks
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

Some suggestions for Linux Lite 6.0 coming in June...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 02:02:58 AM »

JaymzRG

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

It's still a couple months away, but there are some suggestions I'd like to submit.

First, I know it's probably too late to work on it, but if you could work on Precision touchpad drivers for future Linux Lite versions. Seems like if Microsoft is forcing PC makers to use Precision touchpads if they are going to use Windows 11, a lot of people coming from W11 are going to have more and more problems with laptop touchpads working in their Linux OS in the near future. Might wanna start looking into that if Linux devs aren't already.

Second, can you add a "Lock Screen" option so that it automatically locks the screen when we close laptop lids? If there's already an option for it, it must not work because I spent almost 30 minutes testing every option for lid behaviors. Most of them just locked the screen to the point where I can't do anything when I open the lid back up (only the cursor responds; nothing else) and I have to restart the entire computer 7 out of 10 times. Definitely very inconsistent and buggy. And when I press the "Lock" F9 button, it won't lock until I press something again. Weird... It would just be nice to have it automatically lock and go to the login screen when we close the laptop lid.

Third, maybe add a way to assign F keys for different behaviors. Most of them work, but the screen brightness -/+ buttons don't work at all. If there's already a way to assign behaviors for F keys, please let me know. I'm on Linux Lite 5.8, kernel 5.16 currently.

Fourth, just work on the bottom right-hand taskbar icons. Different icons look glitchy at different times. kernel 5.4 didn't have the problem, but 5.16 seems to.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section