You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Commandline boot only

Author (Read 4453 times)

Re: Commandline boot only
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 05:13:48 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 4.x
@MS If my memory doesn't fail I believe you could boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding the shift key while system's booting. You'll be presented with the grub menu.

Alright, will keep that in mind.

Re: Commandline boot only
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 05:10:36 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
@MS If my memory doesn't fail I believe you could boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding the shift key while system's booting. You'll be presented with the grub menu.

Edit: Oh yes that's the way, just googled it  :P

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:13:40 PM by Moltke »
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

Commandline boot only
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 04:48:38 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 4.x
Hard to tell whether the request is feasible for LinuxLite only to implement, as it addresses the machine boot menu, but my wish is to have the option to boot the system in the commandline mode only.

Just a while back I have borked my system, applying in XORG an intel driver exclusive command to the amdgpu environment - hybrid set, a laptop - making it fail to boot at all. Just an underscore blinking indefinitely on a black screen, when the login startup should have already been there. I have escaped through booting from a flashdrive and changing the XORG instructions from there - glad for this wayward access - but in case I was missing a LiteLive pendrive at hand, it would take me quite a bit of time more to get out of this.

The way I understand the problem, the commandline only boot could bypass the need for graphical environment to load, allowing me to change XORG definitions through bash only. That would be good to have.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section