You are Here:
Linux Lite 4.0 Beta has been released. See the Release Announcements Section.

Should Social Media applications be included in Lite Software?

Author (Read 6156 times)

Re: Should Social Media applications be included in Lite Software?
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2018, 03:47:00 AM »

NN

• Forum Regular
  • a visitor

• Linux Lite: 3.8 64bit

• CPU: 4x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2600 @ 1.60GHz

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: OpenGL Renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 5.0, 128 bits)
Personally, I don't think that the software needs to be included

I am all for that! Down with the soft in distros that users deinstall or change for others, or don't use them at all! Any such distro will weigh less and it will be installed quicker due to less apps to be installed. Moreover, with a browser one has everything he/she needs - online editors of different kinds, office online, book-readers implemented into the browser, converters, archivers, games online and so on. Such an approach is realized in ChromeBooks and ChromiumBooks which have only their browser and a file manager. The same thing is realized more or less in PepperMint (sorry for mentioning it) by means of their native app Ice.
Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 06:32:52 AM by NN
Three things admire me - Life, Music and Linux!
Три вещи восхищают меня - Жизнь, Музыка и Линукс!

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/off-topic/making-friends-with-the-terminal/

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2018, 07:01:29 AM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member

• MEMORY: 4Gb
I don't like social media, at least the ones I know about.

But lots of people do, so including apps for the popular ones in Lite Software is fine, and advertise the fact if it'll bring people to LL.

There are apps already in Lite Software which I wouldn't touch, but I don't have to. So that's fine.

And I came to Linux and LL  partly in search of more privacy and security, so we need to be mindful of not making it seem "just like Microsoft" etc. and putting people off.

Incidentally, I see Firefox now has a "Facebook Container" feature option, which isolates FB and its spy/cookies from other tabs.
SN.

my posts are from a recently new non-techie, the experts will have all the serious stuff.

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2018, 09:35:55 AM »

NN

• Forum Regular
  • a visitor

I don't like social media, at least the ones I know about.

But lots of people do, so including apps for the popular ones in Lite Software is fine, and advertise the fact if it'll bring people to LL.

There's a public group about LL on Facebook already, and I think people are not so infantile not to find it.

In Opera-browser VK (one of the Russian social nets) - see the screenshot below - is already implemented into the browser on its sidebar (the same with Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and Telegram) so there's no need for a special app in a distro, in my opinion. If you have a browser, you have everything! - that's the tendency nowadays.

As for advertising LL, I would propose making a special LL channel on YouTube (none of it there so far, as I can see) with old and new reviews from the developers and from the users, with helpful tips and easy instructions online, etc. YouTube is very popular all over the world, and there are a lot of Russian fans of YouTube, I know that. By the way, very popular channels earn money on YouTube.  ;)  And one also can see the statistics of the channel popularity (I mean the number of followers).  8)

And I came to Linux and LL

As for me, I came to LL thanks to somebody's review of another distro on YouTube, by accidence. I don't remember all the details, but it was thanks to YouTube. I heard the phrase 'Linux Lite' and got interested in it. And now I am here.  :)

Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:14:11 PM by NN

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2018, 08:30:48 AM »

NN

• Forum Regular
  • a visitor

I know, Jerry always tries to improve his distribution - thank you, Jerry! - and adding a FB messenger in the distro is just dictated only by the desire to make it easier for the users to install it, especially for former Win-users. So this app should be left in Lite Software so as not to overload the distro itself, as many users (not me) really use it. I think, all such apps under question should be placed in Lite Software for the users to make their own choice.

I would also like to see in Lite Software those apps that surely cause problems with installing them, especially by beginners in Linux.

I also consider cloud services to be part of social networks because there people exchange links, files and even letters. Isn't it like in a social network? Therefore, if LL-users could see in Lite Software the ability to install Google Drive, for example, it would be great, since installing it causes problems for many users now.

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2018, 10:52:13 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member

• CPU: AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD/ATI RS880
I also consider cloud services to be part of social networks because there people exchange links, files and even letters. Isn't it like in a social network? Therefore, if LL-users could see in Lite Software the ability to install Google Drive, for example, it would be great, since installing it causes problems for many users now.
Google drive has some inherent additional steps beyond install... Although 2 methods can be used for install albeit 1 of which being a PPA..
Tested methods:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/installing-software/install-google-drive/msg39262/#msg39262
LL 3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express
LL 3.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL 3.8 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
RETIRED LL 2.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2018, 12:28:38 PM »

NN

• Forum Regular
  • a visitor

Google drive has some inherent additional steps beyond install... Although 2 methods can be used for install albeit 1 of which being a PPA..
Tested methods:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/installing-software/install-google-drive/msg39262/#msg39262

Wow, even two methods! What a pity, I have already installed Google Drive by myself, as I like experimenting. But thanks for your wanting to help. :)

I've been always surprised by the problem why there are not cloud-storage clients for Linux now (except DropBox and Mega) and why it is not easy to install them on Linux. I have Google Drive now. Now I'm making my way through installing the clients from Yandex and Mail.ru, and maybe MS OneDrive for Linux, if such a client exists at all, although it is much unlikely, ha-ha-ha.

I have already written a simple instruction on how to install a proper (with the indicator on the panel) Google cloud client (not a mounted folder!) easily and free of charge. I'll post it in the thread with your link a little later, since I have some personal things to do now.

Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:12:50 PM by NN

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member

• CPU: AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD/ATI RS880
I have already written a simple instruction on how to install a proper (with the indicator on the panel) Google cloud client (not a mounted folder!) easily and free of charge. I'll post it in the thread with your link a little later, since I have some personal things to do now.

Becomes a matter of preference - I prefer a mounted folder similar to a shared network folder vs. an icon but similarly Dropbox has the same.. Then there is the availability for offline access...

Those listed in the referenced thread were the 2 tried at the time..  Becomes a matter of ease of use, ease of install and ease to update. If any of those become cumbersome folks would most likely default to web access.
LL 3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express
LL 3.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL 3.8 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
RETIRED LL 2.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2018, 01:49:10 PM »

NN

• Forum Regular
  • a visitor

Becomes a matter of preference

Yes, sure. Then my instruction (see the link below) is not for you but for others.  :)

Here is the algorithm of installing a proper GoogleDrive client:

Tags:

Linux Lite 4.0 Beta has been released. See the Release Announcements Section.