You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Should Social Media applications be included in Lite Software?

Author (Read 46582 times)

Re: Should Social Media applications be included in Lite Software?
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2017, 05:13:23 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A8-6410 APU

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon R5 Graphics × 4
OK. Yeah, that's what I thought after reading your previous reply. I totally misundetstood when I made my first post about this issue.

Now knowing exactly what you mean, yes, I'd cast a vote for the inclusion of any social media apps you guys feel merit being on the list. What somebody does to their Lite installation is their own business. If having those apps on the "Lite Software" list makes it easier for a Windows user to switch to Lite, then I say those apps most definitely need added. I add apps and packages to tweak my install to suit me and I think every Lite user should be able to do the same. I'm completely comfortable using Synaptic and adding repositories as I need to, but I certainly understand that some newcomers to Lite won't feel comfortable doing the same.
Steve

If I was able to help, click my "Thank" link.

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2017, 04:59:24 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Perhaps a visual representation will help with specifics:

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2017, 04:21:58 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Remember folks, this isn't about integrating social media applications into LL, I don't how you formulated that. It's about offering an application as an option in Lite Software.

Jerry,

OK, I have to admit that because I don't have a thing to do with any social media of any kind, I'm at a loss to fully understand what it means by "offering an application as an option in Lite Software". Wouldn't that software be available in Synaptic to install? Or are you referring to making that software available on the list in the "Lite Software" app? If that's the case, then no, I would have absolutely no objection. I don't even use the "Lite Software" app. I pop open Synaptic to do any software installs or removals.

I wouldn't want to discourage possible new users of Lite by not making social media apps easily available to them, for sure. The larger the user base, the greater the odds of Lite continuing on for all of us to use. So yes, if making something easily available in the "Lite Software" app would possibly improve the chances of a new user learning to like Linux Lite, then I'd say go for it.
Steve

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 01:51:21 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
Remember folks, ... It's about offering an application as an option in Lite Software.

Anything that might be helpful to new users is good in Lite Software. Other installing methods might be more confusing. Just keep it Lite.  Just cover the basic needs for new users in included apps in iso. More advanced users can install other wanted apps or uninstall unwanted ones.

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 11:25:11 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Yes Jerry. It is a good idea to include social media apps in Lite software. Thank you for all your efforts. I'm sure some of the annoying things about the FBapp will be better served in an XFCE DE.

et al:  The way most ordinary computer users understand "security" is poignantly baffling to me, probably because old age has softened me a bit. I won't elaborate out of respect for this distro and this forum other than to say it is easier (less bloated code) to truly secure (harden) OS integrated applications. I once saw an acronymous explanation for Linux that read something like this: Learning In a New Usage Xperience. Seemed apt to me. Not loving MariaDB very much these days, but I accept that it is better.

TC

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:27:35 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 10:27:29 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Remember folks, this isn't about integrating social media applications into LL, I don't how you formulated that. It's about offering an application as an option in Lite Software.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 06:59:19 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

Even when I was on Windows I only used the browser to access social media whether it was Fakebook or forums or anything else.  What other applications would you use?  We have Pidgin for all that chat stuff (including AOL, Skype, and Fakebook Messenger), what else is there for fakebook users anyway?

This is Linux anyway, and I think we ought to be promoting more privacy-respecting alternatives anyway (like Diaspora), but that's beside the point I guess.  All the Fakebook users I know use only a web browser to access it, so I'm not sure what else is needed to "reach" users.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 03:58:03 PM »

elelme

• Forum Regular
  • Deleted
    • View Profile

And Trinidad, smhardesty is correct. It is Linux Lite. It is wonderful. Why ruin it with highly
invasive or complicated software? Can't you access Twitter and Facebook and even some Feed Readers
through the browser? (I once was able to, but haven't been that SOCIAL lately, so forgive me if
I am in error.)

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 01:59:34 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hey there, trinidad. I see that you're not a Facebook or other social disease user. I guess you can tell from my previous remark how I feel about social media. While I understand your comments about the "need" for an OS with Facebook features seamlessly integrated into it, I would be one of the very first to abandon Lite, or any OS, that installed by default any seamlessly integrated parts of any social media. I read the text on the Home page of the Lite website and saw this: "Easy to Use Free Linux Operating System". Then I read the Features and Support web pages. Everything I read about Linux Lite led me to believe it was a lightweight, but solid OS that was ready to use "out of the box" and didn't have any of the typical "bloat" that so many Linux distros have today. I don't see how it would be possible to continue to boast of the light weight of Lite if it came loaded with social media integration packed in the default install.

I use GIMP regularly, but I could easily understand GIMP being removed from the default install. The fact is that not a lot of users are going to be using GIMP. I could easily install GIMP myself after getting Lite installed and updated. I use FTP regularly also and I have no problem installing the FTP package of my choice.

I understand I'm a really new member of this forum and haven't even had Lite installed a week yet, so I understand if my opinion is taken a little lighter than some of the old timers on here. That's natural. I will point out that if I had read that Lite had social media integrated into it by default, I wouldn't even be here. I'm going to venture a guess that there are a LOT of Lite users and forum members that steer away from social media. It's no secret that all the social media sites have had, and still have, serious security issues. Some steal their users info to sell to anyone with the money to buy. Computers are regularly hijacked or infected during use of social media. We all know this to be true.

Bottom line is that I would have to leave Lite if a new version ever included any social media that is either integrated into the OS or even installed by default. I'm just that anti social, I guess.

Steve

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 09:16:30 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Our target audience are Windows users. Facebook features are seamlessly integrated into Windows 10. The most common complaint I get from my new group of Linux Lite converts (approaching 100 now) is the inadequacy and problematic usage of Facebook features in Linux Lite. They are not interested in other options, as most are long time Facebook users. The better integration Linux Lite has with Facebook, the more new users will become available, at least here in the US. There is room for improvement in the Ubuntu LTS version and I think it would be a worthwhile endeavor for this distro to improve its performance.

All that said, I do not use Facebook or social media other than Linux forums, e-mail, or text messaging.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Add me to that list of "anti social software" guys. I won't fully express my thoughts about it here.

I'm in complete agreement with what Ottawagrant said. I don't want to have to spend an hour after a fresh install removing apps/packages I don't want or need. I have no problem with any type of software being "offered" for install in some way, but I'd really like to see Linux Lite remain as lightweight as it is now with the default install.
Steve

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 09:59:14 AM »

elelme

• Forum Regular
  • Deleted
    • View Profile

New here, and my observation is worth what it costs--
But, I came to Linux, and especially now, Lite, because I don't share every moment of my life
with everybody and their cousin. If I wanted that, I would have just stayed with Windows.  ::)
I do like how light Lite is now.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:28:34 PM by elelme »

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 11:52:12 AM »

bluzeo

• Linux Magazine writer
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Amd 8 core

• VIDEO CARD: GT 210
I would rather have the apps  apart then one app. can't use pidgn with twitter. The API on twitter keeps changing...

God not dead! He roaring like an Lion.
hey guys im Bluzeo and Linux Lite user that got his own open source company!

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 09:05:49 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

Ottawagrant nailed it. It's there but it doesn't affect you.

Google Chrome was in Lite Software.  And even if you didn't use it, it affected everyone on the Linux Lite 2.x series.  Maybe this will be different.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 07:14:47 AM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

I don't want to see Social Media applications at any form in Linux Lite. I want it simple and reliable, it seems better if someone needs it can downloads it.

penglezos

Same for me
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section