You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Preinstalled software on LiteSoftware hub

Author (Read 3575 times)

Re: Preinstalled software on LiteSoftware hub
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 03:55:59 PM »

Nyto

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-9700T

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel UHD Graphics 630

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello, guys. Just to add my two cents:

I ALWAYS uninstall Firefox (or Chrome/Chromium) and install Iridium Browser.
I then uninstall LibreOffice and instead install WPS Office.
I then uninstall VLC (or Clementine) to install Audacious.
I try to not uninstall GIMP ...but I install Pinta anyway.
I uninstall Deluge to install Transmission.
And I now install Flowblade instead of installing the buggy Openshot.

Pathological tweaker.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 12:12:06 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Firefox stays because of it's history in open source software. That goes for the rest of the default choices out of the box. It's not just that simple though, it's a blend of carefully thought out choices.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 11:53:00 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

This is just a loose idea but perhaps it could be feasible if a web browser of choice - one included in the LiteSoftware centre, intuitively, with three options available at least - was choosable at the point of installing the OS, as I saw the Mozilla did leave quite a pile o abandonware in my filesystem and we do not want that right off the bat. The "pile" I determined with:

Code: [Select]
sudo updatedb
Code: [Select]
locate *mozilla* *firefox*

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
The concept behind Lite Software is to offer popular software in an easy to install format. That is to say, it is viewed in a specific way. It's not a piece of software we want to add features to, as strange as that may seem. When people think of Lite Software, there is no confusion as to what it does.

Generally, there is one choice offered in each genre so as to keep the list size to a minimum. That choice is usually determined by the community, example a music player, the community was given a number of choices and they chose Clementine. A screen recorder was also selected - OBS Studio was a popular, familiar cross-platform choice.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

Preinstalled software on LiteSoftware hub
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 07:37:22 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

I think the preinstalled software should be present in the LiteSoftware, for the sake of convenience.

For example, I would immediately purge Firefox and Thunderbird, as well as the VLC. For their place, I tend to install respectively Chromium, nothing and MPV media player, although for the last instance, this may unnecessarily be an exact replacement.

For the GIMP, I perfectly see why it is a default choice, though once I remember trying to change the format of an image, I used Pinta, since GIMP was giving me some trouble. Either way, any preinstalled software featured in the LiteSoftware would seem fair and clear.

Perhaps Audacious could also be the thing as an alternative to the Clementine, albeit I can see in what way many instances of the samewise service make for a confusion?

I am glad you added Redshift, I am using it constantly since my switching to Linux, which I find much more eyesight friendly compared to the Windows10 nightview mode, that I found much oppressive somehow.

Is the Baobab - known also as the disk usage analyser - present in the default system setup? Simplescreenrecorder is popular, to mention stuff further.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section