You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

SOLVED Possible Kernel problems with ubuntu 18.04 and latest kernel

Author (Read 29061 times)

Re: SOLVED Possible Kernel problems with ubuntu 18.04 and latest kernel
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 09:04:20 AM »

DeepThought

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • WKDfm Radio | WKDfm Chat

• CPU: AMD Turion(tm) 64 x 2 Mobile Technology TL-60

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ATI RS480

• Kernel: 5.x
@NN  Thank you.  It is a useful tool and I'm sure you'll find it helpful :)

@trinidad  I agree and hopefully the official release will work oob, I'm just trying to point out a possible issue.

It is worth noting that Ubuntu boots considerably slower than Debian, and you must be careful not to interrupt updates on reboots as the CLI update and cleaning activity is hidden on the boot screen in Ubuntu, something annoying to me, about as much as sudo is in general, but of no consequence to most users

As to the possibility of the reboot / shutdown being slow due to updates or system doing summat I once went out shopping for a few hours to come back and find the system still frozen :).

If you tap esc during boot or shutdown the boot splash disappears and you can see scrolling text of what is going on.... does scroll rather fast but you do get a gist of any problems :)

Owner and DJ at WKDfm Radio ( www.wkdfm.co.uk )

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »

NN

• a Xubuntu 16.04.4 LTS user
  • Muted
  • Forum Regular
  • just a visitor
    • View Profile

• CPU: Muted

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Muted
DeepThought, thank you a lot! One more plus to your 'karma'.  :)

I have downloaded the deb-package already and will install it to see the functionality of the app. I will have to study the prog, too. I think, the app is very useful. :)
... let the dead bury their dead (Matthew 8:22)

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

I'm sure there are hardware and software specific issues with the new kernels, but I have yet to discover anything particularly difficult other than a tendency in Ubuntu to install the wrong firmware for AMD. 4.9 retpoline is fine in Debian, and both the 4.13 & 4.15 retpoline is fine in Ubuntu for me. It is worth noting that Ubuntu boots considerably slower than Debian, and you must be careful not to interrupt updates on reboots as the CLI update and cleaning activity is hidden on the boot screen in Ubuntu, something annoying to me, about as much as sudo is in general, but of no consequence to most users. 18.04 Ubuntu is buggy but LL is far more selective with its base software and there will be less problems. PPA versions are all over the place in the bug spectrum because the pace of change has been so accelerated this year by S/M, still unresolved VM issues, the end of unity DE, and new wayland options.  Add PPAs carefully. I expect LL to have very few issues compared to Ubuntu 18.04 as long as users stay with the base system. XFCE will probably be better implemented in LL than Xubuntu as well. All will be well for most LL users once the dust settles.

TC 
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 07:58:47 AM »

DeepThought

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@NN  Hi atm I'm using ukuu to install / remove kernels. Instructions for install from ppa can be found at:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/ukuu-easy-way-to-install-mainline-kernel-ubuntu

Once installed can be found in system menu. Once started the software is quite straight forward to install / remove any kernel (except the one running obviously :) )

I would suggest that you enter the softwares settings and tick the box for grub-timeout and increase this to say 10 secs. Thus when grub appears at reboot you can click on advanced and choose which kernel to boot with.

The process won't damage your system in anyway and you can always return to your original kernel to boot from and remove the others :)

NN

• Muted
  • Forum Regular
  • just a visitor
    • View Profile

@NN  Hi, using apt-mark hold "package-name" it is possible to retain said package version and prevent upgrades.

So as kernel version 4.5.4 works I could apt-mark hold kernel-4.5.4 to prevent further upgrades :)

As I've said I am using ukuu to try and find the newest kernel that will work properly :)

Thank you for your quick reply. :)

Alas, the fact is that I have '4.13.0-43-generic' (see below) already.

Code: [Select]
nn-dot-s:~$ uname -a
Linux nn-dot-s 4.13.0-43-generic #48~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 17 12:56:46 UTC 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux
nn-dot-s:~$

How can I switch to some earlier kernel (as earlier kernels are much faster) without affecting the whole system? Won't the procedure damage it? Though I am not afraid of experimenting, but I don't want to reinstall my customized distro and all my favourite apps in order not to waste my time. Could you, please, explain it to me easily and clearly having in mind that I am no geek at all. Thanks in advance. :)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:53:21 AM by NN »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

I want an early download, but guess i have to wait another day. Nowhere a download to be found.
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

It's out now for those who want an early download but please, NO POSTS on it in any thread or I will delete them. Wait for the official announcement in a few hours, then post your replies in the announcement thread. SourceForge is your friend, wink wink.

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk

NN

• Muted
  • Forum Regular
  • just a visitor
    • View Profile

from what I have seen on the forums, most testing has been done in VM's which might not show this behaviour

You are quite right, that's why I never test new distros in VMs, I have a special partition on my HDD to fulfil the task and to see the distro at full and 'as large as life'. The new buggy kernel in LL 4.0 beta didn't let me even to start up the machine - all I saw was a black screen (I wrote about it somewhere on the forum already).

Despite the fact that I'm really looking forward to testing the new stable LL release, I'm still scared that the distro will not launch LL at all like it was in the beta version. Only some hours are left to check it out.  8)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:01:17 AM by NN »

DeepThought

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@NN  Hi, using apt-mark hold "package-name" it is possible to retain said package version and prevent upgrades.

So as kernel version 4.5.4 works I could apt-mark hold kernel-4.5.4 to prevent further upgrades :)

As I've said I am using ukuu to try and find the newest kernel that will work properly :)

NN

• Muted
  • Forum Regular
  • just a visitor
    • View Profile

Now to why I think it's a kernel problem.

Yes, that's it, it's really only a kernel problem. I noticed that when I tested some different Linux releases, e. g. Xubuntu 18.04 and Mint XFCE 18.04 - they had the same bugs when adding start-up icons to the system panel - the user has to do it several times in order the right panel icon is set. Is it just a coincidence in different distros? No, I don't think so, it's just the same 'infection' in the common kernel they use.

After install I fully updated 16.04. I then decided to use the do-release-upgrade command to download and upgrade the system which seemed to work great, except with the 4.15 default kernel the same behaviour happened. System seemed to hang at the final stage of ....Starting Reboot/Starting Shutdown.

The user may block updating some apps in Synaptic and so they will never be updated. Is it possible to do the same for the new buggy kernels, I wonder? It would be great! As I don't want new kernels at all - the older kernel versions are even better and faster for my old netbook.

But doing it this way the old 4.5.4 kernel was still available, so I changed to this kernel and everything seemed to work properly, rebooting and shutting down as it should.

How I understand you!

I am comfortable using the terminal so if anyone needs more info just tell me the commands and info you want.

I want the commands! Please!  :D

DeepThought

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@ptyerman I agree that this is a problem for the kernel devs to sort out and would normally wait a few months before attempting such an upgrade but my concern is the LL 4.0 is to be released in June, tomorrow, and from what I have seen on the forums, most testing has been done in VM's which might not show this behaviour.

Such behaviour might be a bit disconcerting for new window users or less experienced linux users.

Then again it could just be me lol but thank you for your comments, appreciated :)

ptyerman

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core i7 920

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon RX580
There is a few reported problems with the new 18.04 I've noticed over the last couple weeks. Unfortunately anything to do with the kernel is down to the kernel devs to sort out, the Linux Lite team or any other distro devs can't do anything about it.
That aside, it's always best to leave any new release to mature for a few month before trying it, if you're using it for any type of production system. More often than not, bugs like this will show themselves and take a while to iron out!

SOLVED Possible Kernel problems with ubuntu 18.04 and latest kernel
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 05:31:52 AM »

DeepThought

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I recently decided to upgrade my test server from 16.04 to 18.04 and found though the iso passed md5sum check and everything seemed to install ok I couldn't reboot or shutdown cleanly using the gui or cli commands.
This has also happened while testing LL 4.0 beta which uses the ubuntu 18.04 as it's base.

After the poweroff/reboot or shutdown -h / shutdown -r commands I observed the text on screen and it seemed to stop/unload/unmount ok until the final line ...Starting shutdown or Starting reboot ....... and then the pc would freeze/hang and no matter how long I waited I've had to manually hold the power button in to shut the pc down.

After exhaustive internet searches, with a few hits blaming system suspend, nvidia cards, wifi managers and even one post suggesting I use SysReq REISUB, I couldn't find a solution.

Although the iso passed the md5sum test I began wondering if there was a problem with it so I reinstalled 16.04 which I knew worked ok.

Now to why I think it's a kernel problem.

After install I fully updated 16.04. I then decided to use the do-release-upgrade command to download and upgrade the system which seemed to work great, except with the 4.15 default kernel the same behaviour happened. System seemed to hang at the final stage of ....Starting Reboot/Starting Shutdown.

But doing it this way the old 4.5.4 kernel was still available, so I changed to this kernel and everything seemed to work properly, rebooting and shutting down as it should.

I might just be unlucky with my hardware but this problem happened on both a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop and an NUC5CPYH mini desktop and I bring this up since if I'm correct most people testing LL 4.0 have done so within virtualbox or vmware and might not be aware of this problem until they try an install on actual hdd.

Using UKUU (Ubuntu Kernel Update Utility) and a trial and error method I am at the moment trying to find the newest kernel that will work, but no success as yet apart from 4.5.4

I am comfortable using the terminal so if anyone needs more info just tell me the commands and info you want.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 01:20:23 AM by DeepThought »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section