You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Next LTS LL

Author (Read 17781 times)

Re: Next LTS LL
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 08:33:39 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Future versions of LXDE will de done in Qt4. This is a BIG change that will certainly produce MAJOR bugs.

I'd rather get to know XFCE right now, but since playing around IS part of the thrill for me, WHO KNOWS?

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:38:22 AM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 03:23:07 PM »

LiteNing

If you want to screw around with testing branches the one I found closest to this experience is Sparky LXDE. Just trash the wbar and install Cairo or something instead

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 06:40:42 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

Thanks for the tip. THAT did the trick! I REALLY like the wide variety of weather information the applet allows to be displayed.

Update: Just finished putting LL amd64 on my Samsung RV515 laptop. Only issues I've had (so far) are:

1. Audio (deleted installed applet and installed it from the Add menu - the one pointing to xfce4-mixer. The audio never worked at ALL in LXDE on this pup!), and

2. Elantech touchpad (added options.conf file to /etc/modprobe.d directory, with the line 'options psmouse proto=imps' in it).

For the next person, I've also cross-posted this into the hardware forum...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:16:07 AM by N4RPS »

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 02:52:48 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
I tried to install the latest version of the app from a tarball, but ran into a dependency stonewall in the process. I'm going to play with some other weather applets out there to see if one of them DOES work. 73 DE N4RPS Rob

If you're talking about the XFCE weather applet, the fix is here - https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php/topic,42.msg154.html#new

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 01:12:17 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

Thank you for the kind words.

What one person considers to be ideal may just very well be someone else's worst nightmare. All those different forks of Linux reflect THAT! Once knowledgeable enough, one can always add any window manager or desktop they prefer later.

I'm sure that as I learn more about XFCE and how it works, my anxiety about it will ease. Besides, making an OS into EXACTLY what YOU want it to be is an important part of the learning experience.

I forgot to mention that before I found LL, I also checked out Elementary OS. Like Ubuntu with Unity, it was WAY too slow on THIS pup!  EOS DID look like it might support my Gateway M285E Tablet PC, though, but since LL is SO much more responsive, I'd rather focus on porting Tablet PC support to LL.

A Tablet PC version of LL would be a GODSEND for my old Compaq TC1000! I've tried to get it going on Linux, but all the people who pulled it off in the past did so on OSs that became obsolete years ago. I guess it's good to have SOME things to shoot for...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:30:08 AM by N4RPS »

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:57:31 PM »

shaggytwodope

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Shaggy's Blog

• CPU: Intel i5 4440

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4600
Hello! Some 'cutting edge' builds WOULD be NICE, but it'd kind of go against the whole premise of LL - STABILITY. It'd also be a whole lot more work for the development team to compile 'daily builds'. Being new to LL, I've not had it installed very long. So far, the only thing that hasn't worked is the weather applet, and THAT isn't LL's fault. You see, the version in the repositories needs to be replaced - it's 0.7.4, and the current version is 0.8.3. From 0.8.0 forward, the author has changed the program to the point where the previous versions no longer work. I hope this is addressed in either an update or the next version of LL. I tried to install the latest version of the app from a tarball, but ran into a dependency stonewall in the process. I'm going to play with some other weather applets out there to see if one of them DOES work. 73 DE N4RPS Rob

Very well said, this pretty much sums up things.
The Truth is out there.
Be sure to check the Manual out and always report Bugs or feature requests.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:47:39 PM »

Teddy

• 'Deep in the heart of Texas!'
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Texmex
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz/Turbo 3.5Ghz Quad Core (Skylake)

• MEMORY: 24Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M - 6GB VRAM

• Kernel: 6.x
There will not be any "bleeding edge" builds of Linux Lite. This distro is aimed for stability, usablility and for our target audience of Windows users. Because of those reasons, we do not offer such a thing.
Theodore,

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e015dx (11-inch "Travelbook")
ASUS Republic Of Gamers G752VT-DH74 (17-inch Main) [6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M GPU, 24GB RAM]

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

Some 'cutting edge' builds WOULD be NICE, but it'd kind of go against the whole premise of LL - STABILITY.  It'd also be a whole lot more work for the development team to compile 'daily builds'.

Being new to LL, I've not had it installed very long. So far, the only thing that hasn't worked is the weather applet, and THAT isn't LL's fault.

You see, the version in the repositories needs to be replaced - it's 0.7.4, and the current version is 0.8.3. From 0.8.0 forward, the author has changed the program to the point where the previous versions no longer work.

I hope this is addressed in either an update or the next version of LL. I tried to install the latest version of the app from a tarball, but ran into a dependency stonewall in the process. I'm going to play with some other weather applets out there to see if one of them DOES work.

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 08:52:23 AM »

riser

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
The 1.0.8 release stated that 2.0 (14.04 based) will be released in the May/June timeframe.

Next LTS LL
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 02:19:09 AM »

kbd

I've been testing the 14.04 Ubuntus. Been very impressed with both main Ubuntu and Xubuntu. I'm looking forward to the next new LTS release of Linux Lite. Any idea when we might see an Alpha/Beta/RC early version of Linux Lite?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section